AIM jumping on the no third party app bandwagon?

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
MacMom
Crema

AIM jumping on the no third party app bandwagon?

Postby MacMom » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:04 pm

Hi, folks,

When I logged onto Adium this afternoon, I got this message from AIM:
Hello. Effective 3/28, we will no longer support connections to the AIM network via this method. If you wish to use the free consumer AIM product, we invite you to visit http://www.aim.com for more information.

Is everyone going to jump on this bandwagon? Having been a longtime user of Adium, and it being an app I totally love, this makes me sad.

I'm not as sad about losing AIM, to be honest, as I communicate with exactly 2 people via AIM at this point, and I'm connected with them via other means, so I don't need AIM to chat with them. But I'm also not planning on having a separate app for every different form of messaging. Totally ridiculous.

Adium developers, any news or updates on this?
Annoying little frog

"Also, I can kill you with my brain."

AndiJF
Harmless

Re: AIM jumping on the no third party app bandwagon?

Postby AndiJF » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:43 am

It does look like it. I got the same message this afternoon:
"Hello. Effective 3/28, we will no longer support connections to the AIM network via this method. If you wish to use the free consumer AIM product, we invite you to visit http://www.aim.com for more information."

With both Yahoo closed to Adium, and AIM closing, I'm not sure what to use for the people I stay in touch with through this kind of chat. :(
I have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is. I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat...

27" iMac Intel Core i7 3.5GHz 16GB. OS/X 10.11.6. Adium 1.5.11b

Thorzdad
Latté

Postby Thorzdad » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:44 pm

Got the same message about AIM. I switched to Jabber after Yahoo went away and have been very happy. I doubt I'll miss AIM. It's only advantage to me was being able to IM to a phone number.

fubean
Harmless

Postby fubean » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:27 am

I'm completely crushed by this. AIM doesn't support chat logs, not like adium anyway, and adium always had the cleanest appearance of any chat program. I have been trying to figure out how to use Jabber, but as someone with only basic technical knowledge, I can't seem to get it working - every attempt ends in adium hanging forever.

Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Robby » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:15 pm

This should be fixable. We have contacted AIM about this but are yet to hear back.

OverSpun
Harmless

Postby OverSpun » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:14 am

Robby wrote:This should be fixable. We have contacted AIM about this but are yet to hear back.

That is what I was hoping for. :)

to2xqj
Harmless

Postby to2xqj » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:16 am

Any official word from AOL/AIM?

(Since AOL is now part of Verizon, I was very afraid that AIM would go the same route as YM - but Trillian and Pidgin both found a fix. AIM will be available internationally through those clients. Perhaps something can be worked out with them?)

MacMom
Crema

Postby MacMom » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:23 am

Robby wrote:This should be fixable. We have contacted AIM about this but are yet to hear back.

That's good to hear.

Just out of curiosity, how frequently is Adium being updated? I see the last update listed on the home page was a year ago.
Annoying little frog

"Also, I can kill you with my brain."

dwd
Harmless

Postby dwd » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:07 pm

The arstechnica article about this issue https://arstechnica.com/business/2017/0 ... ss-to-aim/ says that AOL is only disabling MD5-based authentication, and that pidgin would be getting updated.

Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Robby » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:14 pm

And Pidgin has been updated. =-)

Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Robby » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:44 pm

An Adium release addressing this issue is around the corner. =-)

OverSpun
Harmless

Postby OverSpun » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:08 pm

Robby wrote:An Adium release addressing this issue is around the corner. =-)

:smile:

AndiJF
Harmless

Postby AndiJF » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:43 am

Yay!
I have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is. I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat...

Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Robby » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:32 am

1.5.10.3 will address this issue and a beta is out: https://beta.adium.im Please test! =-)

Details in our blog post: https://adium.im/blog/2017/03/adium-1-5-10-3b1/

jkain
Harmless

Postby jkain » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:27 pm

Just a quick thanks for keeping Adium alive! It's a great little app.

AndiJF
Harmless

Postby AndiJF » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:37 pm

So far 1.5.10.3b1 is working fine for me, but I do have a question. I was using 1.5.11b3, and I wondered whether the features/fixes in that are also included in 1.5.10.3b1?

OverSpun
Harmless

Postby OverSpun » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:41 pm

Robby wrote:1.5.10.3 will address this issue and a beta is out: https://beta.adium.im Please test! =-)

Details in our blog post: https://adium.im/blog/2017/03/adium-1-5-10-3b1/

Does anything need to be changed under AOL accts in the prefs? If not, it seems to be working so far. :)

Besides that the Skype API does not work, it causes Adium to auto crash and the beta will not reopen. Also will not reopen after reinstalling the beta. I have never been able to get Adium to work with my Skype before and I thought to try it this time.

edit: I got it to start working after disabling Skype.

w/ OSX 10.12.4

Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Robby » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:18 pm

jkain wrote:Just a quick thanks for keeping Adium alive! It's a great little app.

That's very kind, thank you. =-)

AndiJF wrote:So far 1.5.10.3b1 is working fine for me, but I do have a question. I was using 1.5.11b3, and I wondered whether the features/fixes in that are also included in 1.5.10.3b1?

1.5.10b1 has all the bug fixes 1.5.11b3 has. It doesn't have 1.5.11b3's main new feature, OAuth2 authentication for Google Talk. The implementation of this feature in 1.5.11b3 is buggy and that is also why 1.5.11 has not been released, yet.

OverSpun wrote:Does anything need to be changed under AOL accts in the prefs? If not, it seems to be working so far. :)

I don't think so. =-) Thanks for letting us know!

OverSpun wrote:Besides that the Skype API does not work, it causes Adium to auto crash and the beta will not reopen. Also will not reopen after reinstalling the beta. I have never been able to get Adium to work with my Skype before and I thought to try it this time.

edit: I got it to start working after disabling Skype.

w/ OSX 10.12.4

Are you using skypeweb4adium or the Skype plugin from adiumxtras.com?

It seems the Skype plugin from adiumxtras.com hasn't been updated in a long time and it's likely something broke since the last release. skypeweb4adium's latest release is from November 2016 so I'd expect it work okay. In any case, you'd probably want to contact the respective plugin authors if you run into any issues with the plugin.

OverSpun
Harmless

Postby OverSpun » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:32 am

Robby wrote:Are you using skypeweb4adium or the Skype plugin from adiumxtras.com?

It seems the Skype plugin from adiumxtras.com hasn't been updated in a long time and it's likely something broke since the last release. skypeweb4adium's latest release is from November 2016 so I'd expect it work okay. In any case, you'd probably want to contact the respective plugin authors if you run into any issues with the plugin.

I think I have adiumxtras' Skype Plugin. I may have tried it before Skype updated to crash the plugin years back.

I will download skypeweb4skype and contact the authors.

Thank you

to2xqj
Harmless

Postby to2xqj » Fri May 26, 2017 4:30 am

I am running the current version 1.5.10.4 from April, and AIM worked perfectly on Adium until yesterday at night.
I'm in Vienna, Austria, and last used it in the early afternoon. When I tried to sign on again around 11PM, I couldn't sign into AIM. I figured it was late anyway and I'd try again in the morning.
It is now 6:26AM, and none of my AIM accounts will connect through Adium. I can sign into GTalk without a problem.
Did something happen? Will it go away on its own, or did they finally change something significant that will make AIM impossible for me?

Return to “Adium”