new tabs management features

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: Yeah...

Postby The_Tick » Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:31 am

dmz wrote:Yeah, I know drawers look weird on Leopard (I'm a Select developer too)... it's just sad to see such a nice piece of user interface discarded in favor of sidebars, which are basically the same thing except that you have to see them all the time.

1) Drawers were usually misused by developers. I only know of one application where it was used appropriately.

2) You do NOT need to leave sidebars up all the time.

Gobbler
Muffin

Postby Gobbler » Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:31 am

Catfish_Man wrote:
Gobbler wrote:
zac wrote:Are you using the latest SVN? Beta 5 doesn't have all the latest tab changes.

just curious, how do you get the latest svn?

http://trac.adiumx.com/wiki/GettingAdiumSource

However, b6 will be out shortly, which has all the latest updates to tab sizing.

ah thanks :)

dmz
Harmless

Re: Yeah...

Postby dmz » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:11 pm

The_Tick wrote:1) Drawers were usually misused by developers. I only know of one application where it was used appropriately.

I'd be curious to know which application that is. I can think of at least 3... and some of the changes Apple has made to eliminate drawers, such as in the new iCal, are truly horrendous pieces of UI.

The_Tick wrote:2) You do NOT need to leave sidebars up all the time.

This is true, it seems, of very few sidebars. For example, you can't close the sidebar in iCal (which looks like it has a sidebar minimization widget, a la Finder), or iTunes (which has no such widget at all), or iPhoto (which has another different widget from iCal and the Finder)... etc. You also can't close the sidebar of tabs in the current Adium implementation as of 1.1b6, unless there's some way to close the sidebar that I haven't found yet.

In any event, this forum is about Adium Betas, not general Apple UI discussion... so going back to the current Adium beta UI (about which, by the way, the handling of bottom tabs seems much nicer so far than in the previous beta):

1) When tabs are displayed in a sidebar, is it possible to have a scrollbar (for consistency with sidebars in other applications, etc.) instead of the >>?

2) is it possible to have an option to not display contact images in the sidebar, as they're already displayed in the contact list and use a whole bunch of space (both horizontal and, more importantly, vertical)?

I can certainly file these as enhancement requests, if that's preferred...

kylan
Harmless

Postby kylan » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:42 pm

I really like the features of the new tabs, but one thing that bothers me is the way that tabs positioned at the top look. Every other tab position has some sort of separating bar that the tab is attached to.

This is what the top positioned tabs currently look like:

This is what they should look like in order to remain consistent with every other positioning:

Hope to see these changes implemented in the near future!

evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby evands » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:13 pm

Please file a Trac ticket with your suggestion and mockups :)
The duck still burns.
--
My company: Saltatory Software. Check it out :)

zaudragon
Growl Team

Postby zaudragon » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:17 pm

I personally like the “dropped down from the toolbar” look.

Maybe I’m just weird like that? Hmm… Safari has that type of tabs.
Blog | X(tras)
Communists code without classes.

troplin
Latté

Postby troplin » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:34 pm

I like the the mockups of kylan better. Maybe the "dropped down" tabs look better if they had the same color as the title bar like in safari.

Safari has also relevant content (the URL) above the tabs so they make also sense from that point of view.

daschu
Harmless

Postby daschu » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:41 am

I too am irked by the recent switch. I prefer to keep my chat window as small as possible while not hindering the readibility of the text. With the old system, I was able to have 5-6 tabs while not getting confused over which tab was who. Now I can only have 2 open with all the rest hidden and I have no idea who is currently typing to me or who sent a message. I don't even know what order my tabs are in cuz I can't see the names all layed out next to each other.

With the new system, I can almost compromise by using the Left or Right tab orientation, but there is still one thing that makes it difficult. I am constantly using the typing and messaged received notifications, but having them placed at the top of the sidebar while new messages are received at the bottom causes a lot of unnecessary eye movement as compared to before when the notifications were close to the recently received text. It would be great if tabs in the left or right orientation were created from thr bottom up with new tabs lying on top of older tabs. That would cause a lot less of this eye movement.

Thanks to the Dev's for their hard work though. Adium is pretty much THE reason why I use Mac and would hate to have to go back to windows. I can't stand trillian or pidgin cuz Adium just has all these awesome little features that no one else has thought of that I can no longer live without.

*Edited for readability*

bjhomer
Harmless

Postby bjhomer » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:39 pm

daschu wrote:I too am irked by the recent switch. I prefer to keep my chat window as small as possible while not hindering the readibility of the text. With the old system, I was able to have 5-6 tabs while not getting confused over which tab was who. Now I can only have 2 open with all the rest hidden and I have no idea who is currently typing to me or who sent a message. I don't even know what order my tabs are in cuz I can't see the names all layed out next to each other.

I agree. I keep my chat window on top of all other windows, and thus try to keep it rather small so I don't lose too much real estate. With my widescreen Macbook I can keep it wide enough to support 4 tabs, but on a narrower 12" Powerbook I have to keep it even smaller, and it's not at all uncommon for me to have 5 or 6 tabs open at once. Having conversations hidden in the drop-down menu is annoying because I can't easily see the spatial relationship between them.

I understand, though, that when the tabs get too small, they can become unusable. Certainly a minimum size should exist so as to not cover up the status gem, for example. However, even if I can only see the gem, I prefer to see the spatial layout between tabs, as I can usually remember who lives in which tab anyway.

I know that the developers are reluctant to add options to the preference pane which will rarely be used, so if a "mimimum horizontal tab size" slider is out of the question, I might suggest 40px instead of 60px as currently configured.

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:11 am

You guys know about the defaults command you can use to turn off the chevron right? Or am I not reading the complaint correctly?

bjhomer
Harmless

Postby bjhomer » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:10 pm

No, I don't. That would be great.

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:39 pm

bjhomer wrote:No, I don't. That would be great.

http://trac.adiumx.com/wiki/HiddenPreferences

bjhomer
Harmless

Postby bjhomer » Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:32 am

Hm. Well, I found that, and it seemed to enter in correctly, but it didn't make any changes.

Does the Tab Overflow option only function in the 1.2 beta?

Catfish_Man
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Catfish_Man » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:08 am

Did you do it while Adium was open? You need to do it with it quit, then open it.

bjhomer
Harmless

Postby bjhomer » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:22 pm

Ah. That did it. Thanks.

Return to “Adium”