a dozen requests to add me each time I log in

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
jarome
Muffin

a dozen requests to add me each time I log in

Postby jarome » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:17 am

The same dozen weirdos ask to add me to their list every time I log in to Yahoo. They will not take no for an answer. Adium makes it really hard to stop this.
1) I have to uncheck the add to list box
2) I have to click deny
3) I have to send a message.

There is no way to copy their long hard to copy names from the Adium request window.

There is no way to block these people unless I add them to my list which I do not want to do!

What do I do?

Catfish_Man
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Catfish_Man » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:32 am

Adium Menu -> Privacy Settings should allow you to block them without adding them to your list.

Galindorf
Harmless

Postby Galindorf » Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:58 pm

I am also having this trouble, it is from two requests that I got ages and ages ago and denied; now each time I log in I get the two requests again. I think it may be a bug? It does not matter if I deny them or not they pop right back up. I do not think these people are re-trying the authorization, I think the system is being screwy? They are both MSN names on mine. This only started happening with the new version of Adium.

Macbook Pro 2.33 Intel Dual Processor
OSX 10.4.1
3GB RAM

AdiumX 1.1.2

MILE
Harmless

Postby MILE » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:04 am

Oh, I must have overlooked this thread...!? But at least I am not alone...! ;)

And as you can see here, I have to remove way over a hundred such requests each time...!!

Judging from your posts it seems to be due to Adium 1.1.2 though, and not a general Yahoo problem...?!

:: M ::
:: Mac OS X -- because making UNIX user-friendly was easier than fixing Windows! ::

Galindorf
Harmless

Postby Galindorf » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:38 am

Hey MILE, you don't have to go thru the rigmarole of clicking deny on all of them, you can just click the X close on the top of the dialogue box (or cmd+w). That might at least make it go a little faster! :D

edit: Alternately, you can hold down option + click the X close on the dialogue box; it will close all open windows but then all you have to do is bring back up your Adium buddy list.

MILE
Harmless

Postby MILE » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:01 am

Galindorf wrote:edit: Alternately, you can hold down option + click the X close on the dialogue box; it will close all open windows but then all you have to do is bring back up your Adium buddy list.

That second option is the best, yes...! Thanks...! :grin:

Should have thought of it myself, but I guess I was probably too annoyed by all those requests popping up again and again...!? ;)

I still hope there's a general solution to this problem though...

:: Mac OS X -- because making UNIX user-friendly was easier than fixing Windows! ::

KMP
Harmless

Postby KMP » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:17 pm

MILE wrote:Oh, I must have overlooked this thread...!? But at least I am not alone...! ;)

And as you can see here, I have to remove way over a hundred such requests each time...!!

Judging from your posts it seems to be due to Adium 1.1.2 though, and not a general Yahoo problem...?!

Yes, I'm seconding (thirding?) this... I have 19 of these. What's more fun is that I since I was apparently among the first to find this Yahoo thing in 1996, I have a three-letter Yahoo address; you would not believe some of the email that I get from people thinking I'm Kathy, or Kishore, or Ken ...

And the Adium issue is recent, though I doubt the mistaken "Add Authorization" requests aren't. I've denied them, but they keep coming; I've added them (manually) to the block list, but they are still there, and finally I've logged into the Yahoo Messenger on the Web page, and denied/blocked them there, too. And... you got it, they are still there.

KMP
Harmless

Postby KMP » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:22 pm

MILE wrote:
I still hope there's a general solution to this problem though...

It's been reported in http://trac.adiumx.com/ticket/7823 .

MILE
Harmless

Postby MILE » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:30 pm

Well, although I "only" have a four letter Yahoo ID ;) I keep getting all those requests on a regular basis...and sometimes I have the feeling that Yahoo is kind of messing up there...!? For some reason most of those requests come from either Spanish or Asian (Thai?) speaking Yahoo members -- many of them confusing me with someone they seem to know...!?! That is kind of weird sometimes...

And then, of course, I also get all those requests from h0rny idiots who for some reason seem to think that I am the sexy female of their dreams -- and not the badly shaved guy from Germany, that I am...!?! I never understood what'a up with that...!?! Stating "male" in my Yahoo profile didn't really change any of that either... shock:

(Do people just randomly pick IDs they send stupid messages and requests to or what...?!)

Anyway, the requests keep coming and coming...

(But usually denying them once works, so having 100+ of them popping up at each login now really gets on my nerves...!)

:: M :: :

MILE
Harmless

Postby MILE » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:59 am

Did anyone find a decent way to fix this yet...?! :???:

KatLady81
Latté

Postby KatLady81 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:00 pm

Can someone please try using the most recent Yahoo! IM app (official app) to see if these requests come up there? (not the web version of the IM, but the actual Yahoo! app).

drmoque
Latté

Postby drmoque » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:24 am

As requested I opened up the official client (version 3.0beta build 18274). The request that would not go away in Adium appeared in the Yahoo client. I denied the authorization request. Then quit and restarted the Yahoo client. The authorization request did not re-appear in the Yahoo client as it had in Adium.

Signed in with Adium which was already running and the authorization request did not appear. Also for completeness, quit Adium and restarted. Authorization request did not appear as it had been doing.

Using MacOS 10.4.10. Adium version 1.1.2

Hope this helps since I realize my Yahoo client may not have been the very latest.
Dr Q
iMac & MacBook Pro, OS 10.6.7, Portable Adium using AdiumX 1.4.1

evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby evands » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:15 am

This should be fixed in Adium 1.1.3. There's a beta at beta.adiumx.com.
The duck still burns.
--
My company: Saltatory Software. Check it out :)

Galindorf
Harmless

Postby Galindorf » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:54 pm

evands wrote:This should be fixed in Adium 1.1.3. There's a beta at beta.adiumx.com.

I'm still having this trouble in Adium 1.1.3.
::Wet but not harmless::

Galindorf@deviantart

atknapp
Harmless

Still a Problem - Mac OS 10.4.10 + Adium 1.1.4

Postby atknapp » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:18 am

This is still a problem running Mac OS 10.4.10 + Adium 1.1.4

Fortunately the Option + Click to close is the quickest way to get rid of them (once), but some then show up automatically under "Friends" and then I have to delete them as well.

Noticed this since 1.1.2, have been skipping updates in hopes that it would be fixed eventually, and risked going to 1.1.4. Now I'll revert to the DMG of 1.1.1 that I kept until this is fixed.

As of this (my) posting - Saturday, 10 November, 2008 - the last comment on the actual bug-tracker thread is two weeks old, and the issue is still "Open". I can't seem to add anything to the bug-tracker list, but anyone can look it up under Issue Number 7846.

atknapp
Harmless

STILL Not Fixed in 1.2.1

Postby atknapp » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:15 am

Don't know what we've got to set on fire to get someone to notice this one. I've written the developers directly (and politely) mentioning it, but it's still not fixed in 1.2.1.

I have a (quickly dashed) hope every time a new update comes out. I keep a 1.1.1 .dmg around to revert to each time, though <sighs>.

Any advice welcome.
Alexander.

atknapp
Harmless

Re: a dozen requests to add me each time I log in

Postby atknapp » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:19 am

Still not fixed in Adium 1.2.3 but I did get a note from one of the Adium team confirming that the problem doesn't lie with Adium, but rather with something called "LibPurple" (whatever that is - I suspect the lesser known cousin of the Jabberwocky.)

There are two work-arounds (sorta) that I've managed:

1) Block and Delete - If you're getting authorisation requests from the same screennames/accounts every time you log into Yahoo IM with Adium and they're not people you already have or want on your buddy list (otherwise they'd already be there and you wouldn't have to authorise them), you can "Allow" them initially with the "Add to my buddy list" option checked, and once you get through the list, then "Block" and "Delete" each one. I did this and none of them came back subsequently. A little extreme, of course, but at least you can use Yahoo IM and upgrade past Adium 1.1.1

2) Change Yahoo Screenname - I only had one person that I chatted regularly with on Yahoo IM, so eventually, I just changed to another Yahoo account/screenname for chat, and left whatever LibPurple evil-ness behind. I realise that it's the extreme option, but if you're really stuck, it does at least work.

Doing either/both of these at least let me upgrade, though admittedly, neither is ideal. So if you should happen to see the mysterious LibPurple in the wild, please do us all a favour and zap the damn bug once and for all. Else, best of luck...

Return to “Adium”