Message style feedback

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
mathuaerknedam
Latté

Re: Message style feedback

Postby mathuaerknedam » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:14 pm

chimerical wrote:For the headers at the top of the message windows ("Conversation started at 9:11:16 AM on Thursday, September 23, 2010"), could we explore an adaptive date format like what Finder in OS X does in the "Date Modified" columns? In Finder, if the column is wide, it's formatted as "Thursday September 23, 2010 9:11 AM", and then shrinks to shorter forms as the column is resized:

Resizing a column in Finder:
"Thursday September 23, 2010 9:11 AM"
"September 23, 2010 9:11 AM"
"Sep 23, 2010 9:11 AM"
"9/23/10 9:11 AM"

This would reduce cases of wrapping of this text into a two-line header, which is more likely in beta 19 now that the format by default is much longer.

I don't know if this is possible, but it would be great if you could make an enhancement ticket in trac. http://trac.adium.im/wiki/RequestingFeatures
Matthew

mathuaerknedam
Latté

Postby mathuaerknedam » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:37 pm

rubah wrote:The "new unfocused message" highlighting is illegible [and not really a good default. I have no interest in it myself] in minimal_mod.

Could you post a pic of what you see?

rubah wrote:It wrecks havoc with OSX's text smoothing especially in certain fonts.

What fonts?

rubah wrote:The muted old conversation colors looked buggy at first, and only greying out self-messages makes it inconsistent to parse. Instead of darkening, it might be better to desaturate instead.

I agree about desaturation vs darkening, and I'm really surprised I never noticed this before. :\ I'll make the historical senders desaturated rather than darker, but it will take a little while to tweak and find all of the right color combos. I don't know when 1.4b20 will be out but if it's soon this change may not make it in.

In message history, *all* message text should be greyed out regardless of whether they are incoming or outgoing. Please post a pic if you are seeing something different.

Here's what I see (sender colors are modified): http://yfrog.com/6c88267135j
Matthew

mathuaerknedam
Latté

Postby mathuaerknedam » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:09 pm

mathuaerknedam wrote:
rubah wrote:The "new unfocused message" highlighting is illegible [and not really a good default. I have no interest in it myself] in minimal_mod.

Could you post a pic of what you see?

rubah wrote:It wrecks havoc with OSX's text smoothing especially in certain fonts.

What fonts?

Never mind on these two questions. I found a problem that's making the focus indicator darker than it's supposed to be. This will be improved.
Matthew

paradoxmo
Harmless

Postby paradoxmo » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:35 pm

I find it very bothersome when in Mockie, the text moves when the "focus lost here" indicator disappears. This breaks expectations of where your scroll position is and is very visually jarring.

I've switched to Smooth Operator partly because of this (and partly because I like having different colors for different people as in SO).

mathuaerknedam
Latté

Postby mathuaerknedam » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:45 pm

paradoxmo wrote:I like having different colors for different people as in SO).

FWIW, yMous and the two minimal_mod sendercolor variants also provide this functionality.
Matthew

rubah
Harmless

Postby rubah » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:44 am

I ran into another case of illegibility I hadn't thought about before:

mathuaerknedam
Latté

Postby mathuaerknedam » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:56 pm

Hm, yes, a dark received background does appear to be problematic, especially if the foreground text isn't high contrast. Which highlights one of the challenges. Some people will have issues if the contrast isn't always as high as they want (usually higher than established accessibility standards). Other people will have issues if things don't work well with their low contrast preferences. (Which isn't to say that this isn't something to address.)
Matthew

Return to “Adium”