Adium keeps Disconnecting

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
ddoonie
Harmless

Adium keeps Disconnecting

Postby ddoonie » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:13 pm

I've been a user of adium for many years and my issue has only recently appeared. There have been no changes to my system that I can point to for causing the contant disconnects.. I DID search and found others had a similar issue, but none had any responses.

The issue:
When I log in gchat or msn with Adium, it loads just fine. But, every 60 seconds or so I get disconnected and reconnect. This is a perpetual cycle, it will keep disconnecting and reconnecting.

What I have Tried:
I upgraded to the newest beta 1.5.4b1, and still have the same issue.
I removed all traces of adium (prefs, logs, etc...), reinstalled, and the issue popped up again.
I have used iChat and it works without issue (i would much prefer to use adium)
I have scoured the internet for solutions, but this does not seem to be very common and for those that have the issue - there were no solutions

Please let me know what I can provide you with to help me trouble shoot this, or if you have any ideas.

Thanks!

David Munch
Grandé

Re: Adium keeps Disconnecting

Postby David Munch » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:42 am

What if you use the official MSN client? Adium is quite visually sensitive to network dropouts, so it might just be your connection and not the app itself.
For Vienna issues: Please search Github before posting! Otherwise, file a bug report on Github.

If you are interested in helping out with the development of Vienna, see the Vienna website for details. All levels of programming experience are welcome! :grin:

ddoonie
Harmless

Postby ddoonie » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:14 pm

Thanks for your response. I havent tried the MSN client (didn't know it could do gchat to), but i did use Trillian and iChat without issue. I dont think it is my connection as I have FiOS (50 down, 25up). Knowing that info, do you still think it is connection related?

David Munch
Grandé

Postby David Munch » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:50 am

It can't, but you mention MSN, which is why I asked. But since you now mention that Trillian and iChat both work fine, then I assume it is Adium. Please provide a debug log, for when the problem is happening.
For Vienna issues: Please search Github before posting! Otherwise, file a bug report on Github.

If you are interested in helping out with the development of Vienna, see the Vienna website for details. All levels of programming experience are welcome! :grin:

ddoonie
Harmless

Postby ddoonie » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:40 pm

I've just created a ticket - http://trac.adium.im/ticket/16189

Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Robby » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:41 pm

ddonia posted their debug log in a ticket: http://trac.adium.im/ticket/16189.

Edit: :grin:

PatrickTaylor1
Harmless

Postby PatrickTaylor1 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:41 pm

I am experiencing the same issue.

Except it does not take 60 seconds. I am just in a constant reconnecting/disconnecting state. The second it connects, it begins disconnecting.

This drives my co-workers nuts who see on their screen a message of my disconnecting, then a message stating that I've connected....over and over and over and over again.

Of course, this makes me the pariah of the office.

If I select the "Offline" status, it stops the madness, but, of course, I can no longer be reached by IM.

I see others who have posted this problem, but I don't see any solutions.

In the Adium troubleshooting guide, we are told NOT to delete and reinstall the software as this likely will not help, BUT we are not given any specific steps for remediation. This has become a real point of frustration. Any concrete suggestions would be helpful.

Regards,

Pat

Return to “Adium”