Adium financing

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
architektx
Harmless

Adium financing

Postby architektx » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:36 pm

I would suggest Adium follow Growl and put app in Apple Store for a some price. It's cool to have it for free but development should to be support in some way - this will be only for good for all Adium users. We have a client Flamingo in Apple Store which is very limited even in Jabber functionality (no service discovering, let's say) and it costs $10. Why developers of the best apps shouldn't be rewarded for their time and skills?

Yes, i know about donations and it's not a question to me but selling helps to keep project financing on regular level.

Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: Adium financing

Postby Robby » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:58 pm

Adium's licence, GPL, is not compatible with the App Store.

Herve5
Latté

Re: Adium financing

Postby Herve5 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:02 pm

Robby wrote:Adium's licence, GPL, is not compatible with the App Store.

… and it's a good thing.

If there is anything that switches me away from Apple, really that'll be this new imposed store, to which I see so many apps are migrating.

Each time one of my favorite apps migrates it triggers another round of testing Linux alternatives, and I very recently reached the point where it's no longer the apps offer but only the hardware quality that still prevents me to move.

(I'm a photographer: Retina screens have proven just enormously better -for now. I definitely see myself on Linux within some years, basically when time will come to upgrade hardware...)

Return to “Adium”