Adium throwing Yahoo Unknown error (1240) upon login

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
lori2106
Harmless

Adium throwing Yahoo Unknown error (1240) upon login

Postby lori2106 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:33 am

Screen Shot 2014-01-25 at 10.13.49 PM.png
error 1240 with screenname covered
Screen Shot 2014-01-25 at 10.13.49 PM.png (150.68 KiB) Viewed 10311 times

All of a sudden, Adium is giving "(Yahoo): Error... Unknown error (1240)"

I am new to the forum, but I've been using Adium for years with no issues that were not self-resolvable, forgive my n00bness if I am posting wrong... I did read all the posts O:)

I've not upgraded recently, but I did reinstall and preserve my Contents. I tried with a new clean install, as well as migrated my previous Contents to the fresh install.
Also have deleted and re-added Yahoo to Adium. The yahoo messenger app and all other chat hubs work fine with Yahoo.
And Yes, I am a tech agent, I knew to reboot :) I've looked thru the forums, not seeing this error.

All other accounts work without issue, MSN, XMPP, FB, etc... only Yahoo is giving this error.
Adium vs 1.5.9
Mac OS X 10.9.1

Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: Adium throwing Yahoo Unknown error (1240) upon login

Postby Robby » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:37 am

Hi, thanks for your detailed description and troubleshooting efforts. =-) I saw this error reported yesterday (https://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/15875) but a quick web search didn't find me any information either, unfortunately. For now, I'd hope it's a temporary issue and goes away soon.

lori2106
Harmless

Postby lori2106 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:07 pm

Well I was actually looking on Pidgin as well, but since this wasn't related to Pidgin, I wanted to post in the Adium thread.
I use pidgin on my work PC, and yahoo loads fine w/out issue within that specific client. It seems to be isolated to Adium, for over a week now :( :!:

thanks for your reply

Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Robby » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:45 am

Well, that's odd that Pidgin doesn't exhibit the same error. Adium and Pidgin share pretty much the same networking code.

For what it's worth, this particular error has also been reported for another third-party chat client, Trillian.

All reports I have seen so far are very recent ones (last two days or so) so for now, I would assume it's a temporary server-side problem.

lori2106
Harmless

Postby lori2106 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:31 am

Thanks !!!
I have trillian, digsby, ichat, pidgin - and the yahoo client.
I love adium the best :)

My error started a week ago, maybe I broke something!! :D

shiro
Harmless

Postby shiro » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:07 am

Well I was actually looking on Pidgin as well, but since this wasn't related to Pidgin, I wanted to post in the Adium thread.
I use pidgin on my work PC, and yahoo loads fine w/out issue within that specific client. It seems to be isolated to Adium, for over a week now :( :!:

may I know which pidgin version do you use?
the account which load fine without issue, is it the same as the one which has problem on adium?
I'm the one who submit ticket on pidgin, but it only happen on that account, my other account work just fine

kwaping
Harmless

Postby kwaping » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:55 pm

I just started getting this error today. The client was working fine on Friday evening (today is Monday). I actually talked to Yahoo support and they think it's an issue that needs to be resolved within Adium. I'm using version 1.5.9, by the way (currently the latest version).

I was unable to log in via Yahoo's Messenger client even though I had the proper credentials, but the web version (built into their Mail) worked fine.

Anyone here have any suggestions?

Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Robby » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:59 pm

kwaping wrote:[…]I actually talked to Yahoo support and they think it's an issue that needs to be resolved within Adium.[…]
I was unable to log in via Yahoo's Messenger client even though I had the proper credentials[…]

What can I say? To me, that sounds like the support people are talking through their hats. =-)

Drakhul
Harmless

Postby Drakhul » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:36 pm

Just FYI,

I just started receiving this error this morning. Everything was working correctly Friday. I am also unable to log in using the Yahoo Messenger app. It keeps telling me I am not entering the correct info, yet I can log into the website (and also messenger on the web) using those creds. I think Yahoo is whacked.

Oh, and the login page is also whacked in Safari... I know there is a popup there to send a code to my phone, but they suck at programming so bad it is behind the content on the rest of the page.

shiro
Harmless

Postby shiro » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:25 pm

I can login as usual now, and already tried with pidgin and trilian
so it really is temporary server-side problem?

lori2106
Harmless

Postby lori2106 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:03 pm

I also talked to Yahoo. The rep told me they'd seen uncountable reports, but refused to support anything 3rd party client related.

I am still unable to login to Adium, strangely, but can login to every other client still yet.

The rep also suggested I was entering incorrect credentials (Lol) How would I have logged in other applications... and to the website to email them..
:mrgreen:

lori2106
Harmless

Postby lori2106 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:04 pm

shiro wrote:

may I know which pidgin version do you use?
the account which load fine without issue, is it the same as the one which has problem on adium?
I'm the one who submit ticket on pidgin, but it only happen on that account, my other account work just fine

As per my post -
All other accounts work without issue, MSN, XMPP, FB, etc... only Yahoo is giving this error.
Adium vs 1.5.9
Mac OS X 10.9.1

JustinG87
Harmless

Postby JustinG87 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:28 am

YIM apparently updated recently. I heard from a friend that this is the cause of the issue, and we will be unable to access YIM from Adium until Adium themselves update the client.

macwiz
Harmless

Postby macwiz » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:36 pm

I had the same error and went to the yahoo page. They said that there was unusual activity on my account and it had been locked. I was given the opportunity to change my password, which I did, and went back to Adium and it is working fine now.

Return to “Adium”