GTalk Account Unable to Connect - Maverick?

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
jweaving
Harmless

GTalk Account Unable to Connect - Maverick?

Postby jweaving » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:13 pm

I recently updated to Maverick and I've been having some issues with Adium crashing. I haven't had one in the last few days, but I will post an error message when I get the next one. I do have my Skype account linked and it seems to be working, though it logs on and off; I'm not sure if that relates to the crash.

Two days ago, I had an issue with one of my GTalk accounts giving me an error message when I tried sending a message to a contact. I was prompted to allow/add an existing contact with credentials for an unrecognizable code with numbers, something to the effect of: 255429824-434623... It seemed to be related to Jabber.

I allowed and added the two credentials to the contact and it disabled my Jabber account and the GTalk account that seemed to be associated with it? It's been a long time since I setup Jabber, so I'm not sure how I set it up or if they were linked. The Jabber account was setup through jabber.org. Jabber.org seems to be up and running, but there are issues with certain links on the site.

I had been consistently prompted to enter my password and the checkbox to remember the password has been unchecked. Whether I checked or unchecked the password, it would not accept the password. Whether I re-entered my password, repeated the check/un-check process, it would not accept the password. I tried reconnecting, I closed and reopened Adium, I reregistered Jabber and nothing would work.

I first deleted the GTalk account that wasn't working and it produced the same results. I deleted the Jabber account and it produced the same results, but would no longer authenticate.

Since the error with the GTalk account occurred, I lost all the contacts associated with the account -- the contacts do still exist in my transcripts; though, with the GTalk account that was not affected, I can only view transcripts associated with these contacts. When I add the GTalk account that I cannot connect with, the contacts do not show up in my contact list, but the transcripts show up in the transcript history.

The point I'm at now, is that I've reinstalled the latest version of Adium, deleted the Jabber and GTalk accounts that were not working, added fresh instances of each Jabber and GTalk account (that wasn't working). Jabber will not connect to Jabber.org regardless of what username I choose, so I chose swissjabber.org with a different username than my GTalk account and a unique PW. The new Jabber account through swissjabber.org authenticates and connects, but I am still left with the GTalk account that has been giving me an issue. I am still showing the transcripts associated with the GTalk account, but none of the contacts associated with them.

The other GTalk account which was not altered appears to still be in working order.

Thanks for your help! Let me know if you have any questions.

jweaving
Harmless

Re: GTalk Account Unable to Connect - Maverick?

Postby jweaving » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:57 pm

This is the first time it crashed in a while... not sure if the crash is related, but posting in case:
Attachments
ADIUM_CRASH_REPORT_140201.rtf
Sorry, the report was too many characters...
(73.69 KiB) Downloaded 200 times

Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Robby » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:31 am

The crash log mentions Skype. We don't support the Skype plugin.

As for the Gtalk issue, nothing obvious comes to my mind.

jweaving
Harmless

Postby jweaving » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:59 am

Ok, two things...

1) Did I misread that you were working on something regarding supporting the Skype plugin?

2) Why would one GTalk account work and another not? (All things constant, given that there are no issues on Google's end for both GTalk Account A & B): If GTalk Account A works and GTalk Account B has an Adium issue, if I delete & resetup GTalk Account B, then GTalk Account B should function properly. I don't understand what's wrong with the logic (or the issue)?

Is there any way to go back into error reports? Is there some sort of error log or audit report?

Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Robby » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:19 am

jweaving wrote:[…]1) Did I misread that you were working on something regarding supporting the Skype plugin?

Um, where did you read that? =-)

I didn't get a chance to read your long text about the Gtalk issue yet, I might tomorrow.

https://trac.adium.im/wiki/CurrentAdiumDebug has instructions on getting debug output.

jweaving
Harmless

Postby jweaving » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:38 am

I determined the error and was able to log in with my account.

You might want to close this out and keep this thread for reference...

I have two-step verification for GMail. After I had the error, whatever it was... and deleted the GChat/Jabber accounts, I lost record of the application specific password and tried using my regular GMail password... hence why I was unable to login. I setup a new application specific password for Adium and so far there's no issue with logins or IMs.

To give Adium access for 2-step verification, do the following:
- Go to your Google Account Dashboard
- In the 'Account' section, click "Connected applications and sites"
- Scroll to the bottom and click "Manage application-specific passwords"
- (You may have to sign-in again with your Google Account)
- In "Step 1 of 2: Generate new application-specific password" >> choose a name for the application, in this case I chose 'Adium (+ GChat account)'
- Click "Generate password"
- You'll be shown an application specific password which is unique to your regular GMail/GChat password >> this is what you'll use for your login password for Adium

If you lose the password for whatever reason, you will have to go back into dashboard, either create a new application specific password with a unique name OR revoke access to the old one...

Return to “Adium”