sendercolor in group chat

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
Squarebear
Harmless

sendercolor in group chat

Postby Squarebear » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:05 pm

I'm trying to figure out where and/or how Adium determines the %sendercolor% parameter for group chat (irc, specifically). I'm using the yMous message style, but as far as I can tell, that just uses the %sendercolor% parameter to set the colors. It seems to be based on user name, but two of the users I chat with on a regular basis ended up with the same color, so it would be nice to be able to change it, set it, or at least re-randomize it.

The colors are consistent for a given username, so I'm guessing somewhere it must be set or determined by the username.

mathuaerknedam
Latté

Re: sendercolor in group chat

Postby mathuaerknedam » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:55 pm

Yes, Adium it is set by username. Essentially, Adium takes a hash of the username and uses that to choose from its list of colors. There isn't currently any way to change colors on a per-user basis, but you could override Adium's default colors for everyone. After some experimentation, you could probabyl get your two contacts to have two different colors, but it's also possible that this would cause two other contacts to have matching colors. Theoretically, adding more colors would result in less duplicates, but it would also result in colors that are more alike and may be indistinguishable (especially when they aren't adjacent, the colored area is small, etc).
Matthew

Return to “Adium”