Yahoo "unidentified error" or no connection?

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, MSN, Jabber, Yahoo, and more.
trane
Harmless

Re: Yahoo "unidentified error" or no connection?

Postby trane » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:52 pm

Oddly enough, I see that iChat under OS X 10.7.5 now seems to be able to connect again. So, it seems that I either suck it up and use iChat, the official (and seemingly deprecated) Yahoo! client or shell out 60 clams for a lifetime of Trillian. Given how little chat I do outside of Skype these days, paying for ad-free chat isn't exactly an investment.

*sigh* :\

haroon
Harmless

Postby haroon » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:52 pm

It's sort of amusing that they took that stance right after someone released a workaround.

Anyway, I hadn't checked this thread for a couple months or even bothered to see if any progress has been made with Adium. There is an iPad app I used before switching to Pidgin called Remodium though, which relays messages between Adium and your iDevice. I missed being able to reply to IMs without VNCing into another machine, so I figured I'd give this workaround a try. It worked fine, but when I saw that they intend to axe Yahoo support I went back to Pidgin and deleted Adium.

Too bad. It was a near decade of use.

trane
Harmless

Postby trane » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:14 pm

Since 2007 for me, ever since my move from Slackware to OS X. I might have a look at compiling Pidgin; it was the app I used way back in the Slackware days.

Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Robby » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:44 pm

Don’t worry, I can’t see Yahoo support being dropped at the moment. =-) We use the "keyword“ differently than you probably expect and the "Service/Yahoo“ component is still in use. In the comment you reference I set the milestone to "1.5.11" and the severity to "regression". That’s as much priority as any ticket in our Trac can get, really. =-)

Unfortunately, development has stalled recently, there haven’t been any changes to the codebase in the last three months. So I can’t really promise when we’ll see a new release with this issue fixed.

genik
Harmless

Postby genik » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:03 pm

Yahoo (and MSN) seems to be stuck on connecting... will this issue have any chance of being fixed?

haroon
Harmless

Postby haroon » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:12 am

MSN was shut down permanantly a week or two ago, so that's never going to be resolved.

Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Robby » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:28 am

haroon wrote:MSN was shut down permanantly a week or two ago, so that's never going to be resolved.

That is not true. See https://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/16455

haroon
Harmless

Postby haroon » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:45 am

When it quit connecting I just assumed it was shut down as they've been planning to do for over a year now. Not to mention there's a stories from late August stating as much.

http://english.cri.cn/12394/2014/10/31/3746s850357.htm

I assumed we were only able to connect until now because it was still available in China . . .

Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Robby » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:44 pm

haroon wrote: […] I assumed we were only able to connect until now because it was still available in China . . .

Yes, I think the situation is like that.

Thorzdad
Latté

Postby Thorzdad » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:16 pm

On a whim, I recently installed the adium-adium 1.6hgr5896 nightly build and discovered, much to my delight, that it connects to Yahoo without a problem! This is on an older iMac running OSX 10.6.8.

It's great to have Adium back in use. I really hated that butt-ugly Yahoo client. My thanks to everyone on the Adium team, especially anyone working on the Yahoo problem!

Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Robby » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:27 pm

Hi everyone,
The other day, we released a first beta of what will become Adium 1.5.11. It includes the patch for this Yahoo connection issue. If you like, you can try it. Please let us know if you run into any regressions from 1.5.10.

MacMom
Crema

Postby MacMom » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:50 pm

Well, my Yahoo accounts connected. Will let you know if I encounter any issues.
Annoying little frog

"Also, I can kill you with my brain."

bluejay
Harmless

Postby bluejay » Sun May 10, 2015 10:08 pm

My Yahoo contacts aren't listed in any of my accounts and the check for new mail does not work. Both worked fine before AdiumX quit connecting to Yahoo.

Return to “Adium”