Yahoo "unidentified error" or no connection?

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
catbaots
Harmless

Yahoo "unidentified error" or no connection?

Postby catbaots » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:40 pm

Anyone experiencing issues signing into Yahoo using Adium? Last night my user in Singapore reported Yahoo was not working on her Adium but she can sign into web interface and it works. I didnt think much of it but this morning on USA business opening, all my mac users running Adium cannot sign in. They CAN sign in using official Yahoo client. On Adium 1.5.9 there is no error message, it just continuously tries logging in. On 1.5.6 i get "error reading from login.yahoo.com: unidentified error: 0" every 30 seconds. This is happening across 3 different offices in 3 different countries all using various versions of MAC OSX. Strange thing is, my users in the UK are having no issues with 1.5.6. I'm completely stumped. Did Yahoo change something, will there need to be an Adium update to fix this?

WOW, I left my Adium on wile typing this and it suddenly connected after 30 mins of trying to connect. I wonder if it was only a temporary issue? It may be intermittent, because like I said, my user in Singapore had issues starting last night at 8pm.

Thorzdad
Latté

Re: Yahoo "unidentified error" or no connection?

Postby Thorzdad » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:15 pm

I'm experiencing the same problem today (US). My Yahoo account seems perpetually stuck on "Connecting". AIM and Gtalk connections work fine.
Adium 1.5.9. No error message.

gswiszcza
Harmless

Postby gswiszcza » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:03 pm

Same. Yahoo failed to connect as of around 20:00 EDT yesterday and is still showing always as 'connecting'. I'm on 1.5.9 and my twitter accounts and gtalk account all connect fine.

mdziedzic
Harmless

Postby mdziedzic » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:06 pm

Seeing the same issue as reported above on two different machines. But will add that the CPU spikes to 150% while trying to connect.

Adium 1.5.9
OSX 10.8.5 and 10.9.2

kimtown
Harmless

Postby kimtown » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:07 pm

I'm having the same issue this morning (11:07 EST USA). Any news on a fix?

GTalk connecting fine.

Adium 1.5.9
Max OSX 10.7.5

trekkiecapo
Harmless

Postby trekkiecapo » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:17 pm

I am having the same problem today. No error message, just Adium endlessly trying to connect to Yahoo IM. AOL, Google are connecting OK. The only problem is with Yahoo.

I'm running Mac OS 10.8.5 on a Retina MacBookPro, Adium version 1.5.9.

Help!

fchouina
Harmless

Postby fchouina » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:18 pm

My colleagues and I are also having issues connecting to Yahoo! this morning.
We are using Adium 1.5.9 on Mavericks 10.9.2.
Before this morning, it had been working for as long as I can remember.
I tried all the usual tricks with the scs[a-f].msg.yahoo.com servers and the equivalent IP address.
My Adium has been trying to connect for more than 1 hour now (since I've given up trying various fixes) and still no connection.

Please note that I stopped Adium last night and restarted this morning.
I usually leave it running when my Mac goes into hibernation.

I do not get any error message either, and Adium is stuck on "Connecting".
Yahoo! Messenger for Mac OS X works and connects successfully every time I launch it.
I suspect there must be a new change in the API, the protocol, the port or the servers.

I am also seeing spikes to 150% in CPU usage.
Adium is also able to connect successfully to GoogleTalk and CiscoWebEx (XMPP).

Thorzdad
Latté

Postby Thorzdad » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:48 pm

fchouina wrote:I suspect there must be a new change in the API, the protocol, the port or the servers.

This is my suspicion, too.
What other third-party clients (on any platform) connect to Yahoo? Are they experiencing the same issue?

catbaots
Harmless

Postby catbaots » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:56 pm

UPDATE: i'm still able to use Adium for the time being. This is after I downgraded to 1.5.6. I do not know if version has anything to do with issue as 1.5.6 was not working for me at first. It was not until 30 mins of trying to connect that it finally worked. Since then, I have tried signing out and signing back in and it has connected immediately. Is anyone else seeing that the issue is resolved?

catbaots
Harmless

Postby catbaots » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:00 pm

Thorzdad wrote:
fchouina wrote:I suspect there must be a new change in the API, the protocol, the port or the servers.

This is my suspicion, too.
What other third-party clients (on any platform) connect to Yahoo? Are they experiencing the same issue?

I was able to connect to yahoo using apples "Messages" app during the time I was experiencing the issue. One other interesting fact I have found: my only user with a PC had Pidgin installed and it was giving the same issue, I had to install official yahoo client on the PC in order for her to connect.

Thorzdad
Latté

Postby Thorzdad » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:01 pm

catbaots wrote:Is anyone else seeing that the issue is resolved?

I just re-tried Adium and it connected to Yahoo right away. Whether the problem has been resolved, or if this is an intermittent problem, remains to be seen.

fchouina
Harmless

Postby fchouina » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:08 pm

I also just connected successfully on the first try.

Thorzdad
Latté

Postby Thorzdad » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:04 pm

Adium didn't connect to Yahoo again this morning. I wouldn't have noticed if my wife hadn't emailed me asking why I wasn't online. I restarted Adium and it connected to Yahoo.
So, for me, this is an intermittent issue.

liz4cps
Harmless

Postby liz4cps » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:54 am

I am having the same problem except I haven't managed to connect at all since adium crashed about an hour ago. I've been trying different troubleshooting suggestions from the site here and nothing has helped. It is trying to connect right now and Adium is using 120% of the CPU. Since some above have found it connects if you leave it trying, I'll leave it trying for a bit longer. I am also able to connect using Yahoo Messenger and using Messages.

One thing that happened to me was probably a coincidence but I'll mention it. A friend sent me a few pictures last night on Yahoo messenger; when she does, Adium sees 3-4 file transfers for each file she sends, so I had about 15 last night. Normally, I cancel the extra ones after I have them the pics, but I wasn't sure if I did last night and I left some hanging. Later, I slept the computer without canceling them. Today, she sent me another pic and I decided to cancel all the transfers. Adium crashed after I canceled one that was probably from last night. When I re-started, Yahoo Messenger would not connect. Too much fun -- *not*.

Thorzdad
Latté

Postby Thorzdad » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:29 am

Despite multiple restarts, Adium isn't connecting to Yahoo this morning.

catbaots
Harmless

Postby catbaots » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:50 am

Thorzdad wrote:Despite multiple restarts, Adium isn't connecting to Yahoo this morning.

I had the issue yesterday morning and eventually it connected. This morning I am again experiencing the same issue. I am able to connect using apples "messages" app and the official yahoo client is working fine, but Adium is not connecting. Can any of the developers shed some light on whats going on? Why would 2 clients work but not the other? btw, I have confirmed that my colleagues are experiencing the same issue.

locochristopher
Harmless

Postby locochristopher » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:01 pm

I am also experiencing the "connecting" and 155% CPU spike as Adium attempts to connect to my Yahoo account. I have not once connected to the Yahoo servers in the past week or so as others are mentioning. I actually didn't know it was spiking my CPU until reading this forum and investigating on my computers! Thanks for the additional information forum! I have since then disabled this account until fixed so my computer isn't running hot. I have deployed this application/version to many in our environment, so I will need to send notification of this so other users aren't running with spiked CPUs all day.

By the way, my other accounts (Gmail, Jabber, AIM, MSN) are connecting just fine.

This behavior is happening on both of my computers:
MacBook Pro , OS: 10.8.4, Specs: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, Adium Version: 1.5.9
iMac, OS: 10.9.2, Specs: 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, Adium Version 1.5.9

If it is of any additional help, I have attached screengrabs.
Attachments
Adium_2.jpg
CPU Spike
Adium_1.jpg
Account Status

zmunkz
Muffin

Postby zmunkz » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:32 pm

Same exact problem here... had it on the 12th, and again today. Perpetually stuck in "connecting", no errors in Console, cpu at ~150% utilization. Last time I was able to fix it by connecting to Yahoo using another client, and then when I switched back it worked, but this time that is not fixing the problem.

cbujak
Harmless

Postby cbujak » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:49 pm

Same issue here. Same 150% CPU spike.
Yesterday I was able to cancel the login tried again a moment later and it worked. Today, no such luck.

jarome
Muffin

Postby jarome » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:07 pm

It finally connected yesterday after I logged in via the Web. But today (the 18th) it will not connect.
Yahoo is totally broken.
File transfers out from Adium have not worked for many years.
When you log out of Yahoo (if you can log in), contacts still show as "online"
Rooms do not work properly unless I am the last to enter. Otherwise not everyone sees everyone else.

Return to “Adium”