Yahoo "unidentified error" or no connection?

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
jeannius
Muffin

Re: Yahoo "unidentified error" or no connection?

Postby jeannius » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:56 pm

Does CS2 not work in Mavericks? I'm using CS2 in Mountain Lion without any issues.

it is NOT supposed to work with anything above snow leopard as it is still PPC code...meaning without Rosetta, CS2 shouldn't work on the new OS....

btw...I am currently on an old G4 at my workshop running Tiger and yahoo 3.0 beta works on this though adium still does not

karyhead
Harmless

Postby karyhead » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:18 am

I installed Adium 1.5.10b1 on a 10.9.2 machine and it will connect to yahoo. My 10.8.5 machine doesn't work. I'm guessing the underlying version of CDSA (TLS/SSL) is different? I'll try to poke at this more tomorrow.

I would post this at https://trac.adium.im/ticket/16678 but I can't seem to get past the captcha even though I'm entering it correctly and trying over and over. Maybe I'm not a human?

Thorzdad
Latté

Postby Thorzdad » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:54 am

I found this blog entry at Yahoo's Messenger site. Would this encryption implementation have anything to do with the problem?
http://yahoo.tumblr.com/post/81529518520/status-update-encryption-at-yahoo

Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Robby » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:38 pm

I read that blog post the other day. Yes, it seems likely the added encryption has something to do with the connection issues.

zmunkz
Muffin

Postby zmunkz » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:43 pm

So where does this stand? Yahoo changed something, other clients overlook it, but Adium is unable to for security reasons? And we are waiting for a fix from Yahoo at this point?

Boshco
Harmless

Postby Boshco » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:15 pm

Seriously -- is Adium and Yahoo now a bust? Do we need to explore Trillian for Mac (yikes!) in order to connect to Yahoo?
I haven't been able to connect to my yahoo account for over a month. That's completely unacceptable.
Please provide an ETA on when we can expect this issue to be resolved.

zmunkz
Muffin

Postby zmunkz » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:02 pm

Boshco wrote:Seriously -- is Adium and Yahoo now a bust?

I think the answer to that is "Yes". I've been stuck using this buggy piece of s**t Jitsi for the last month, but at least it connects. The consensus among the Adium people seems to simply be, "it's yahoo's problem," and they are either unable or unwilling to give us a workaround. Yahoo's reply seems to be, "we don't care," which makes me think one month is going to quickly turn into multiple months.

For a while we were making progress here, but it seems like everyone has given up. I would suggest you start using Trillian or iChat, because holding your breath for Adium might get you blue in the face.

jeannius
Muffin

Postby jeannius » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:29 pm

This morning, my yahoo messenger 3.0.2 gave up completely, even using the work around I found....this sucks

BSDguru
Harmless

Postby BSDguru » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:37 pm

karyhead wrote:I installed Adium 1.5.10b1 on a 10.9.2 machine and it will connect to yahoo. My 10.8.5 machine doesn't work. I'm guessing the underlying version of CDSA (TLS/SSL) is different? I'll try to poke at this more tomorrow.

I would post this at https://trac.adium.im/ticket/16678 but I can't seem to get past the captcha even though I'm entering it correctly and trying over and over. Maybe I'm not a human?

Beta 1 Does NOT work for me on Mountain Lion

KpK
Harmless

Postby KpK » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:45 am

I'm giving Yahoo the brunt of my blame for this, since any company that fires a chief operating officer who did little to nothing in only 15 months on the job and pays him $58 million in severance clearly doesn't have a firm grasp on reality. Still, without saying too much since I am not out money to Adium by any means, I am pissed frankly that I've lost all access to Yahoo when I work and communicate entirely online. It's not exactly easy to go from communicating via chat everyday to back and forth emails all the time. It's the equivalent to suddenly having a cell phone taken and given a rotary phone to handle business by.

Still, if nothing can be done to use Yahoo through Adium, I really have little use to keep Adium on my machine and guess I'll just make the space it takes up available now. I appreciate the information though, as non-technical as I might be.

lotsacaffeine
Harmless

Postby lotsacaffeine » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:14 pm

I've been sporting my green duck shirt for several years. Do I need to buy a couple more of them to get this Yahoo! issue some more attention? :grin:

angrytourist
Harmless

Postby angrytourist » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:28 pm

Not entirely helpful, but I wanted to add that Adium is not the only application experiencing problems due to the server changes at Yahoo. I have been a longtime user of Zimbra Desktop and these changes killed the ability for accounts to send mail if it is set up as a Yahoo account. All these apps died in the same week, which nearly caused my head to explode. I think we can bash on Yahoo with impunity. It would have been nice if the Yaholes had given developers some type of notice. Sigh.

lithe951
Harmless

Postby lithe951 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:18 pm

I just installed the latest beta 1.5.10b2 and unfortunately Yahoo is still broken running on OS X 10.8.4. Mavericks is fine, but not the older OS.

zmunkz
Muffin

Postby zmunkz » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:38 pm

I've given up... this has gone beyond ridiculous. Forgive my tone, but what else can be said? The fact may be that Yahoo has changed something, but that does not matter. It is widely verified that all other clients are still able to connect to Yahoo despite the changes, so there can be no question that Adium does something in particular that is preventing a connection. I frankly don't care if fixing it would introduce a security risk (as previously suggested in this thread), I would rather have the option to take that risk as compared to not being able to connect at all. Especially since my only alternative is to use another client to connect, which (since it works) evidently contains that security risk anyway.

Adium devs: You are not doing the right thing blaming this on Yahoo and washing your hands. Please release an update that brings Adium's connection workflow into sync with how all other clients behave. It has been over a month now, and there hasn't even been any investigative efforts since the first week. This is unbelievable from such a previously well regarded product.

AbueloViejo
Harmless

Postby AbueloViejo » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:56 pm

Running Adium 1.5.10b3 (just updated this morning) on OS X 10.7.5 here. YIM still not working.

erickirkhuff
Harmless

Waiting Yahoo "unidentified error" or no connection?

Postby erickirkhuff » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:47 pm

When the Yahoo issue went down, I thought it was my configuration until I read the forums. I decided to not be bothered by it and use Yahoo Messenger app and wait.
Well, it seems like it has been months, and nobody has fixed it yet. Wow, very frustrated. I like Adium very much. It must be a very frustrating fix as I do not think I have seen this one run this long without a fix. :!: Please fix this as soon as possible. :!:

liz4cps
Harmless

Postby liz4cps » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:00 pm

It works fine for me now, using the Beta. Go get the Beta from https://beta.adium.im and then login using an email address -- i.e., add @yahoo.com on the end of you weren't previously using an email address. That's working for me and has been for a couple weeks now.

Thorzdad
Latté

Postby Thorzdad » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:34 pm

liz4cps wrote:It works fine for me now, using the Beta. Go get the Beta from https://beta.adium.im and then login using an email address -- i.e., add @yahoo.com on the end of you weren't previously using an email address. That's working for me and has been for a couple weeks now.

Adding yahoo.com to my login doesn't help. Still no connection. I'm running the latest beta.

AbueloViejo
Harmless

Postby AbueloViejo » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:48 pm

Thorzdad wrote:
liz4cps wrote:It works fine for me now, using the Beta. Go get the Beta from https://beta.adium.im and then login using an email address -- i.e., add @yahoo.com on the end of you weren't previously using an email address. That's working for me and has been for a couple weeks now.

Adding yahoo.com to my login doesn't help. Still no connection. I'm running the latest beta.

Same here. Still getting the "Undefined error: 0".

Thorzdad
Latté

Postby Thorzdad » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:07 pm

Just for the record, can anyone confirm that the server login settings for Yahoo should still be the following?
Server: scsa.msg.yahoo.com
Port: 5050

Just a shot in the dark.

Return to “Adium”