Yahoo "unidentified error" or no connection?

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
MacMom
Crema

Re: Yahoo "unidentified error" or no connection?

Postby MacMom » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:36 am

AbueloViejo wrote:
Thorzdad wrote:
liz4cps wrote:It works fine for me now, using the Beta. Go get the Beta from https://beta.adium.im and then login using an email address -- i.e., add @yahoo.com on the end of you weren't previously using an email address. That's working for me and has been for a couple weeks now.

Adding yahoo.com to my login doesn't help. Still no connection. I'm running the latest beta.

Same here. Still getting the "Undefined error: 0".

Yes, I am also getting that, even after adding @yahoo.com to my username. It keeps trying to connect and failing.
Annoying little frog

"Also, I can kill you with my brain."

malakas44
Harmless

Postby malakas44 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:01 am

Robbie, we need an "update" on what ADIUM is doing to solve this problem. It's obviously becoming very frustrating for users.

BSDguru
Harmless

Postby BSDguru » Sat May 03, 2014 2:30 pm

It takes 2 weeks to break a habit. I'm now out of the habit of using Adium for anything.

haroon
Harmless

Postby haroon » Sat May 10, 2014 10:02 am

I've switched to Pidgin. It's not incredibly different, and even if the interface doesn't look amazing, it's still better than Instantbird's. It's easily built with MacPorts, though I decided to run it from a Linux box over X11; might as well offload some of the burden from my lowly Core Duo MacBook. I considered Trillian for about 30 seconds, but then saw you had to either use an adware version or pay a yearly subscription. No thanks.

I'll subscribe to this topic and see how things go. Maybe I'll come back to Adium if this is resolved, but like BSDGuru mentioned, the longer you're away from something the less you begin to miss it.

zmunkz
Muffin

Postby zmunkz » Sat May 10, 2014 7:45 pm

How difficult was it to get Pidgin running? I've been running Pidgin in Parallels, but it slows everything way down.

haroon
Harmless

Postby haroon » Sat May 10, 2014 9:36 pm

Simple, install MacPorts and type "sudo port install pidgin" within xterm (you'll need to grab XQuartz). It will take a while to build, but other than that no big deal. This is probably a good solution for PPC people who've been running out of date versions of Adium, too.

smackafee
Harmless

Postby smackafee » Mon May 12, 2014 5:24 pm

I love that this forum is the "official" place that Adium sends all their users to get support, but doesn't take the time and doesn't seem to care to respond. Adium is failing to realize that they have a following that could help them popularize the issue with Yahoo to effect some change, which is huge. I'm going to hit up Twitter, see what I get.

KpK
Harmless

Postby KpK » Mon May 12, 2014 7:12 pm

I just have one question, does Yahoo work in Adium on any version of the Mac operating system? I'm considering upgrading to a new Mac in the next 6 months and obviously it might run on something more current than the one I have now which seems to not be working. So does it work on any and if so which ones?

Otherwise I really don't have much use for either Yahoo or Adium lately as they've both screwed up my daily work and social life, since both were and are done entirely online and many many people have Yahoo accounts exclusively.

bluejay
Harmless

Postby bluejay » Mon May 12, 2014 7:44 pm

KpK wrote:I just have one question, does Yahoo work in Adium on any version of the Mac operating system? I'm considering upgrading to a new Mac in the next 6 months and obviously it might run on something more current than the one I have now which seems to not be working. So does it work on any and if so which ones?

Otherwise I really don't have much use for either Yahoo or Adium lately as they've both screwed up my daily work and social life, since both were and are done entirely online and many many people have Yahoo accounts exclusively.

Some people are reporting that the beta version of Adium works fine on OS X 10.9 Mavericks.

scoda
Harmless

Postby scoda » Wed May 14, 2014 12:47 pm

I was having the same issues with connecting to Yahoo, in my case it's been weeks, maybe even a couple of months. So long that I stopped using Adium and installed Trillian. Except the Trillian version I installed was neither the Pro or ad-supported. I have version 2.0.0.68 which from what I gathered was a beta or some type of support build. I got the download link from a Trillian forum and the poster was a forum administrator responding to other poster's complaints of connectivity.

Back to Adium, I decided to give Adium one final chance to connect this morning, it didn't, then I saw a post here about the beta possibly connecting. I searched for the beta build, 1.5.10b3, installed it over my existing 1.5.9 release and it connected immediately. Hopefully this post will help someone else troubleshoot or solve their issues.

Thorzdad
Latté

Postby Thorzdad » Wed May 14, 2014 1:11 pm

Scoda, which version of OS X are you running?

MacMom
Crema

Postby MacMom » Thu May 15, 2014 5:48 pm

Yahoo still isn't connecting for me on Adium, but I literally have only one contact who uses Yahoo messenger, so I use the Yahoo app for messages with her. For everything else I'm still using Adium.

I don't think the people who work on Adium are ignoring those who are unhappy with the fact that Yahoo Messenger hasn't been working. I suspect the fix may involve something that needs to be fixed elsewhere before Adium can effect a fix.

Those who work on Adium do it on their own time, as far as I know, and I appreciate their work on an app that is basically free unless you decide to donate to the work.
Annoying little frog

haroon
Harmless

Postby haroon » Thu May 15, 2014 6:20 pm

The "it's Yahoo's fault" thing would make sense if Pidgin broke too. But that's why people are frustrated -- no one is really explaining anything.

malakas44
Harmless

Postby malakas44 » Thu May 15, 2014 6:27 pm

The Adium beta does not open Yahoo IM for me using Mac OS X 10.7.5

ButchAnton
Harmless

Postby ButchAnton » Thu May 15, 2014 9:51 pm

scoda wrote:I searched for the beta build, 1.5.10b3, installed it over my existing 1.5.9 release and it connected immediately. Hopefully this post will help someone else troubleshoot or solve their issues.

I have a quandary. The nightly build creates the Yahoo issue for me (three accounts), but solves an issue I have connecting multiple accounts to Facebook (three accounts). The beta build solves the Yahoo issue (really, it doesn't introduce it), but introduces a problem whereby I cannot connect multiple Facebook accounts.

Can I please throw both of these in the blender together and get a new nightly build that solves both problems? Please? Pretty please? Pretty please with sugar on top?

Thorzdad
Latté

Postby Thorzdad » Thu May 15, 2014 9:58 pm

malakas44 wrote:The Adium beta does not open Yahoo IM for me using Mac OS X 10.7.5

Same with 10.6.8. The latest beta doesn't work.

KpK
Harmless

Postby KpK » Fri May 16, 2014 1:41 am

Ditto on 10.6.8 for me. I believe it was March for me last it connected so well over two months. If I didn't have gmail contacts I wouldn't be bothering to keep up with what's the latest concerning Adium.

MacMom
Crema

Postby MacMom » Fri May 16, 2014 3:05 am

haroon wrote:The "it's Yahoo's fault" thing would make sense if Pidgin broke too. But that's why people are frustrated -- no one is really explaining anything.

I didn't say it's Yahoo's fault. I said: "I suspect the fix may involve something that needs to be fixed elsewhere before Adium can effect a fix." That does not necessarily mean that it's Yahoo's fault.

In my experience, the folks who work on Adium try to fix issues as soon as they are able to.
Annoying little frog

zmunkz
Muffin

Postby zmunkz » Tue May 20, 2014 4:34 am

MacMom wrote:In my experience, the folks who work on Adium try to fix issues as soon as they are able to.

I think haroon's comment still stands... the core of Adium is libpurple, which is maintained by the Pidgin guys. As stated, Pidgin is working fine, which means the problem is neither with Yahoo, nor with libpurple, and therefore must be in Adium-specific code built on top of libpurple.

bluejay
Harmless

Postby bluejay » Tue May 20, 2014 5:19 am

V1.5.10 has been released. Has this version worked for anyone in connecting to their yahoo accounts? Just downloading it now on my MBP running OS X 10.6.8.

Edit: I get an "Error reading from login yahoo.com Unknown error: 0"
Edit 2: Same error from my MM running OS X 10.8.5. It fixed the high cpu usage at least.

Return to “Adium”