Yahoo "unidentified error" or no connection?

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: Yahoo "unidentified error" or no connection?

Postby Robby » Tue May 20, 2014 9:38 am

Adium 1.5.10 which was released yesterday does not fix this Yahoo connection issue, only the excessive CPU use.

haroon wrote:The "it's Yahoo's fault" thing would make sense if Pidgin broke too. But that's why people are frustrated -- no one is really explaining anything.

From what I’ve gathered and as I previously stated in this thread the Yahoo servers are misbehaving and the question is how to deal with that.

zmunkz wrote:
MacMom wrote:In my experience, the folks who work on Adium try to fix issues as soon as they are able to.

I think haroon's comment still stands... the core of Adium is libpurple, which is maintained by the Pidgin guys. As stated, Pidgin is working fine, which means the problem is neither with Yahoo, nor with libpurple, and therefore must be in Adium-specific code built on top of libpurple.

I’m not a programmer but as far as I can tell it’s not as simple as that. A portion of Pidgin users are experiencing the Yahoo connection issue.

This ticket has some information for the technically inclined: https://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/16172.

----

Currently, there are two Adium developers one can consider active and both have been quite busy with non-Adium life recently which also contributes to the delay in fixing the issue. Any contributions towards figuring out the issue are very welcome.

Santucci4
Harmless

Postby Santucci4 » Tue May 20, 2014 12:17 pm

Well, I just wanted to let everyone know that my Adium is finally working again with the yahoo servers. I upgraded my o/s to Mavrick version 10.9.3 and installed Adium Beta Version 1.5.10b3. All is good once again.

Thorzdad
Latté

Postby Thorzdad » Tue May 20, 2014 12:59 pm

Santucci4 wrote:Well, I just wanted to let everyone know that my Adium is finally working again with the yahoo servers. I upgraded my o/s to Mavrick version 10.9.3 and installed Adium Beta Version 1.5.10b3. All is good once again.

So, the question would seem to be, what is it about OSX 10.9 that is different from prior versions of OSX, which would allow Adium to connect to Yahoo? But, why, then, does Yahoo's own several-years-old Messenger app work on versions of OSX as far back as 10.6.8?

zmunkz
Muffin

Postby zmunkz » Tue May 20, 2014 6:42 pm

Santucci4 wrote:Well, I just wanted to let everyone know that my Adium is finally working again with the yahoo servers. I upgraded my o/s to Mavrick version 10.9.3 and installed Adium Beta Version 1.5.10b3. All is good once again.

Keep us updated. Several people have been able to connect for brief windows, only to return to a state of malfunction thereafter. I would be interested to know the mentioned combination works consistently.

malakas44
Harmless

Postby malakas44 » Tue May 20, 2014 6:53 pm

A new Adium upgrade, but still Yahoo connectivity problems? Not good! Robbie????

Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Robby » Wed May 21, 2014 1:02 am

I posted earlier, malakas44.

malakas44
Harmless

Postby malakas44 » Wed May 21, 2014 4:36 am

Thanks Robby. Guess we'll wait...

bluesteel
Harmless

Postby bluesteel » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:29 pm

I have been following this forum since I had been experiencing this issue with Yahoo and Adium and surprisingly no one has stumbled on this.

Adium is working now again if you upgrade your OS X to 10.9.3 (Maverick) and update to the new build of Adium 1.5.10. I have a Mac Pro and a MacBook Pro and it works on both after I upgraded. Some of my colleagues also have confirmed that it works for them when they have upgraded.

Hope this helps.

Thorzdad
Latté

Postby Thorzdad » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:31 pm

That's an interesting finding, bluesteel. Unfortunately, for those of us unable to move up to 10.9.3, we're still in a bind. It sounds like Adium has overnight become a 10.9-only app. :[

MacMom
Crema

Postby MacMom » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:23 pm

Well, it would be a 10.9 only app only if Yahoo Messenger is the only thing you are using it for. Still works fine for me on other instant messenging services.
Annoying little frog

"Also, I can kill you with my brain."

Thorzdad
Latté

Postby Thorzdad » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:36 am

I have a few people on other services. Most of the people I message with on a daily basis are on Yahoo, though.

MacMom
Crema

Postby MacMom » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:11 am

Gotcha. Most of the people I message with on a regular basis are NOT on Yahoo Messenger. So while it's a bit inconvenient not having being able to connect right now, I can live with it. I ended up downloading the official Yahoo client for the first time ever since this problem started.
Annoying little frog

KpK
Harmless

Postby KpK » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:17 pm

I can confirm it does work fine with Yahoo again now that I updated to Maverick. I'm bothered that updating messed up a number of other programs, some not working with the newer operating system but so far Adium has started right up several times and found Yahoo without hesitation. It did ask permission to access my contacts or something when I first used it.

For any who are thinking they can't update since it would cost something, I updated for free. Mac OS apparently can be updated completely free through the App store for a limited time. No idea why but it just takes a few hours to download, then restart, then get everything working again. I updated from 10.6.8 and at least it seems the Yahoo mess is no longer an issue.

haroon
Harmless

Postby haroon » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:33 pm

Some of you don't seem to grasp that many of us are not using an older version of OS X by choice but because it's what our hardware supports. Like I said, I'm using Pidgin now so I'm not sure why I'm even following this thread anymore since it seems to be going nowhere.

MacMom
Crema

Postby MacMom » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:26 am

Yes, I could update to Maverick. But I would lose a whole bunch of applications that won't work on Maverick and that I can't afford to upgrade right now. So I'm living with the situation, for now.
Annoying little frog

Thorzdad
Latté

Postby Thorzdad » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:14 pm

Again, though, I keep coming back to the fact that Yahoo's own four-year-old Messenger app continues to work perfectly on older versions of OSX. Why this much older app works while a much newer Adium doesn't continues to perplex and would seem to point to something being different on Yahoo's end.

BSDguru
Harmless

Postby BSDguru » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:12 pm

haroon wrote:Some of you don't seem to grasp that many of us are not using an older version of OS X by choice but because it's what our hardware supports. Like I said, I'm using Pidgin now so I'm not sure why I'm even following this thread anymore since it seems to be going nowhere.

I have Mountain Lion and Snow Leopard systems with the same problem on both. How "old" do you have to have? Tiger? Just on a whim I decided to try the upgrade and can't believe it still doesnt work.

It's amazing how an app that used to be an integral part of my day has been designated as useless all of a sudden. I ended up getting mac notifications to work and I kind of like it. Searching mail on the MAC is a billion times faster than yahoo. And I do mean a billion.

zmunkz
Muffin

Postby zmunkz » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:49 pm

This whole thread is a giant disappointment. We've established months ago now that this is Adium-specific (or possibly least libpurple-specific), but apparently there are no active developers on Adium anymore. The only representative voice has been from "Robby", but it sounds like he is not in a position to fixed anything either.

I am glad upgrading works for some people, but in my case it is not an option... and no other Yahoo client works with OTR which is one of my company's requirements. I've been using Pidgin through VirtualBox for weeks and weeks (which means my battery runtime doesn't beat 40 minutes anymore), and as much of a joke as that is, it is still better than whats been going on with Adium.

haroon
Harmless

Postby haroon » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:23 pm

zmunkz wrote:I've been using Pidgin through VirtualBox for weeks and weeks (which means my battery runtime doesn't beat 40 minutes anymore), and as much of a joke as that is, it is still better than whats been going on with Adium.

Dude, you don't need to do that. Get MacPorts and install Pidgin natively.

zmunkz
Muffin

Postby zmunkz » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:20 pm

I tried that on someone's instruction... I have macports, but I ran into a bunch of errors when I tried to pull in Pidgin. Maybe I'll give that another try, because it would be much nicer than what I'm doing now for sure.

Return to “Adium”