Meaning of two areas of status menu?

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
ljnelson
Harmless

Meaning of two areas of status menu?

Postby ljnelson » Thu May 08, 2014 9:53 pm

Hello; thank you for a great product.

This seems like a very dumb question but I did my homework and could not find the answer in the help documentation.

The Status menu consists of several areas. The first area consists of an "Available" entry and a "Custom..." entry. The keyboard hotkey for "Custom..." is command-Y.

The next area says simply "iTunes Status". Fine.

The next area also has statuses. Mine currently reads: Away, Invisible and Custom.... The keboard hotkey for *this* "Custom..." entry is command-option-Y.

What are these areas used for? That is, I know that they are used for setting statuses (:-)), but how does the first area differ from the third?

Additionally, when I choose "Custom..." from either area, I seem to get the same custom status dialog box. What is the difference between these two menu entries that both seem to allow you to set a custom status?

Thanks for any help.

Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: Meaning of two areas of status menu?

Postby Robby » Thu May 08, 2014 11:29 pm

The answers to your questions are indeed not answered by the documentation, I believe.

The upper part is a list of statuses of the „available“ type – also indicated by the green status icons –, the lower part is a list of statuses of the „away“ type - also indicated by the red status icons.

As far as I can discern, the menu items for the custom statuses differ in that the first one comes with the „available“ status preselected, and the second with the „away“ status.

----

With that said, I find your question interesting. In all the years I’ve been using Adium, I never thought about the layout of that particular menu. Now you made me think about it, I’m not a 100% percent convinced it’s ideal. Two menu items for almost the same goal seems a bit redundant and I wonder whether it makes sense to visually separate „available“ and „away“ statuses.

Return to “Adium”