Status system REQ for .8 -- scrolling text.

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
Synapse
Latté

Postby Synapse » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:32 pm

Oh god, what have I started....

thejokell
Frappa

Postby thejokell » Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:16 am

dchoby98 wrote:Are you guys sure that the contact list is in the foreground? Do you have any funky (excuse me, FUNKAY) modifications like having the "keep contact list below all other windows" option on?

Yes and no. Funny thing is, though, more often than not the tooltips are more reliable when Adium is in the background.

carlj7
Frappa

Postby carlj7 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:20 pm

thejokell wrote:Yes and no. Funny thing is, though, more often than not the tooltips are more reliable when Adium is in the background.

Ugh, tell me about it. I have Adium set to hide the contact list when I'm using another app, yet the recurrent tooltip glitch still persists from long, long ago… Does anyone want to give a technical explanation of why this bug has been so unsquashable?

Also, here's a layman's theory, in case some one is still trying to figure out a patten to the inappropriate tooltipping: Does it have something to do with click through being handled differently by different apps? (Ie. If Safari's in the background and you click a link, Safari won't follow it but just come to the foreground, but if you click a Safari tab or click a toolbar button while using another app, Safari will do that as it takes the foreground without a second click.)

bgannin
Growl Team

Postby bgannin » Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:26 pm

Technical explanation:

We are tracking mouseovers and the mouse is technically over it, its a matter of figuring out whether the app is in focus or not. It's been attempted to be squished many times.

I didn't write 'em, but IIRC that's the reason.
Try my software!

#define ADIUMX pimp //by me
#define QUESTION ((2b) || (!2b))
Have you hugged a programmer today?

Son of a Preacher Man
Crema

Postby Son of a Preacher Man » Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:58 pm

bgannin wrote:Technical explanation:

We are tracking mouseovers and the mouse is technically over it, its a matter of figuring out whether the app is in focus or not. It's been attempted to be squished many times.

I didn't write 'em, but IIRC that's the reason.

I know you've been trying to pin it down - I'm afraid I'm of the opinion that they've not got much more reliable... I appreciate your efforts, as I bet it's a complete arse to pin down. That's why I didn't (originally) make a big thing of it :)

Return to “Adium”