Display messing up

An RSS/Atom newsreader with features comparable to commercial newsreaders.
WineLoverPT
Harmless

Display messing up

Postby WineLoverPT » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:54 pm

This started happening a few updates ago - I figured I couldn't be the only person having this problem, so I thought it would just get fixed - but updates have come and gone with no change, so I figured it was about time I stood up to be counted.

I have Vienna set for a 3 pane view ("Vertical")...

Mostly things work as they have done for many years, however, with some subscriptions, as soon as I select an article, the right hand pane (where that article is shown) shrinks, all on its own, to an unusable size (by virtue of the article list growing - the window itself doesn't change size)...

I've tried this with different window sizes - same result.
In Layouts "Horizontal" and "Unified", there's no problem, only in "Vertical".
If I try to resize the article pane with the "shrunk" article in it, it just immediately snaps back to the shrunk size.

The pictures shown above are from http://feeds.feedburner.com/lumberjocks ... format=xml - before a few months ago this worked just fine.

Here's my setup...
Version 3.3.0 :7f06bb62: (6805)
OS X: 10.10.5 - I have Vienna on my primary monitor, but the same result on the second one.

Vienna Prefs (not all, but the ones I considered might be relevant)...
General - Open new links in the background, Open Links in external browser
Appearance - Both LucidaGrande 9, never use fonts smaller than 10, show feeds icons in folder list
Advanced - Enable plugins in the internal browser

As you can imagine, this is quite annoying - it's hard to determine if i want to open the article in my browser, when i can't actually read it very easily.

If any further information is required, feel free to ask.

beekay
Harmless

Re: Display messing up

Postby beekay » Tue May 22, 2018 5:23 pm

I just updated from 3.2.1 to 3.3.0 via Vienna's software update function to get the latest version. I too have this problem, with slightly different triggers.

1. Choose View-Layout-Horizontal
2. Choose a root-level Group folder in the list of feeds on the left
3. Choose an article in the upper right list of articles
4. The splitter bar that separates the feeds list on the left and the list of articles and article content on the right jumps to make the feeds list on the left approximately 60% of the screen width. I can drag the splitter to make the feeds list narrower but upon release it jumps back to make the feeds list approximately 60% of the screen width.

With 3.2.1, dragging the splitter to a new size worked as expected -- it can be dragged and stays where it is dragged to.

Changing to a different Style does not help.

Quitting and running Vienna again does not help.

Restarting my Mac does not help.

5. In Vertical or Unified viewing mode, the splitter stays where it is dragged.

6. Again with View-Layout-Horizontal selected, choose a second-level Group feed in the feeds list on the left instead of a root-level Group folder. That is to say, if the Group feeds list has the hierarchy:

Group Folder 1 (root-level)
- Group Folder 1A
-- Feeds of Group Folder 1A
- Group Folder 1B
-- Feeds of Group Folder 1B

Choose Group Folder "1A" or "1B".

In this case, the splitter behaves as expected -- it can be dragged and stays where it is dragged to.

7. Again with View-Layout-Horizontal selected, choose a feed in the feeds list on the left. Also in this case, the splitter behaves as expected -- it can be dragged and stays where it is dragged to.

8. Select the stock "Unread articles" Smart Group. The problem occurs.

9. Select the stock "Today's Articles" Smart Group. The problem does not occur.

My Vienna window is sized to the full width of the screen and somewhat less than the height of the screen (not in full-screen mode).

MacBook Pro 11,3 with 10.10.5

Return to “Vienna”