Using the N-key breakage in Version 3.1.4 :6ea6f87:

An RSS/Atom newsreader with features comparable to commercial newsreaders.
liam
Harmless
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:07 am

Using the N-key breakage in Version 3.1.4 :6ea6f87:

Postby liam » Sun May 29, 2016 4:50 pm

Using version Version 3.1.4 :6ea6f87: on Mac OS 10.11.6 Beta (15G7b)

I nearly always use the 'n' key to navigate, starting at the top of my list and moving down. I've noticed 3 things not working as before in the latest Vienna version:
1. 'n' does not take me to the last unread article - it will move through the articles and then act as though there are no more unread, but when I scroll down I will see a site with an unread article.
2. 'n' no longer cycles back to the top. If I have read down my list and either I do a refresh, or a timed refresh happens, 'n' will not take me from the bottom of the list to the next unread at the top of the list. It acts as if there are no more unread articles.
3. Previously when 'n' took me to the next site it would place me at the unread item at the top of the list, and I would see that part of the list. Now I will 'n' to the next unread article and it seems that the position pointer is not reset from the previous site - so if I end up with the correct unread article being displayed but the article list is displaying articles further down the list, often so far down the list that none of the unread articles are displayed. If I manually scroll the article list back to the top then I see all the unread, and it works fine after that for the site I am on.

Thanks for doing all the work on this program, I hope my notes above are clear.
Liam.

JSH56
Harmless
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:29 am

Re: Using the N-key breakage in Version 3.1.4 :6ea6f87:

Postby JSH56 » Sun May 29, 2016 6:29 pm

Same here. Posted similar issue earlier this week.

barijaona
Vienna Team
Posts: 626
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:10 am
Contact:

Re: Using the N-key breakage in Version 3.1.4 :6ea6f87:

Postby barijaona » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:43 am

@liam : I am referring to your initial post :

liam wrote:1. 'n' does not take me to the last unread article - it will move through the articles and then act as though there are no more unread, but when I scroll down I will see a site with an unread article.

From which kind of folder (individual RSS feed, group folder, smart folder) are you experiencing this ?
Do you have ‘classic’ RSS feeds, OpenReader feeds or a mix of both ?

liam wrote:2. 'n' no longer cycles back to the top. If I have read down my list and either I do a refresh, or a timed refresh happens, 'n' will not take me from the bottom of the list to the next unread at the top of the list. It acts as if there are no more unread articles.

’n’ means ‘next unread’. It will get back to the top only after it has finished other unread articles from the same folder

liam wrote:3. Previously when 'n' took me to the next site it would place me at the unread item at the top of the list, and I would see that part of the list. Now I will 'n' to the next unread article and it seems that the position pointer is not reset from the previous site - so if I end up with the correct unread article being displayed but the article list is displaying articles further down the list, often so far down the list that none of the unread articles are displayed. If I manually scroll the article list back to the top then I see all the unread, and it works fine after that for the site I am on.

Did you see an improvement on this particular point in 3.1.5 RC 1 which is available at https://bintray.com/viennarss/vienna-rs ... .5RC1/view ?
I contribute to Vienna RSS as a developer.
Please, don't forget those tips for writing a good bug report

barijaona
Vienna Team
Posts: 626
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:10 am
Contact:

Re: Using the N-key breakage in Version 3.1.4 :6ea6f87:

Postby barijaona » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:39 pm

@JSH56 : I understand from your posts that the problem is intermittent for you. Can you confirm ?

@liam : Is it the same for you or is it permanent ?
Your input is important because I am unable to reproduce this issue.
I contribute to Vienna RSS as a developer.
Please, don't forget those tips for writing a good bug report

barijaona
Vienna Team
Posts: 626
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:10 am
Contact:

Re: Using the N-key breakage in Version 3.1.4 :6ea6f87:

Postby barijaona » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:53 pm

Another thought : when this appears, check in the Console log to see if you have a message : «  Fixing unread count for XXXX (YY on folder versus ZZ in articles) »
Thanks in advance.
I contribute to Vienna RSS as a developer.
Please, don't forget those tips for writing a good bug report

liam
Harmless
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:07 am

Re: Using the N-key breakage in Version 3.1.4 :6ea6f87:

Postby liam » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:38 pm

barijaona wrote:@liam : Is it the same for you or is it permanent ?
Your input is important because I am unable to reproduce this issue.


Consistent behavior, every time the same. Quitting and restarting makes no difference.

liam
Harmless
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:07 am

Re: Using the N-key breakage in Version 3.1.4 :6ea6f87:

Postby liam » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:39 pm

barijaona wrote:Another thought : when this appears, check in the Console log to see if you have a message : «  Fixing unread count for XXXX (YY on folder versus ZZ in articles) »
Thanks in advance.


This is what I see in Console when I search:
5/31/16 11:04:51.285 PM Vienna[22317]: Fixing unread count for The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW) (2 on folder versus 0 in articles)
5/31/16 11:05:09.842 PM Vienna[22317]: Fixing unread count for Daring Fireball (1 on folder versus 0 in articles)

Only the 2 messages.

liam
Harmless
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:07 am

Re: Using the N-key breakage in Version 3.1.4 :6ea6f87:

Postby liam » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:52 pm

barijaona wrote:@liam : I am referring to your initial post :

liam wrote:1. 'n' does not take me to the last unread article - it will move through the articles and then act as though there are no more unread, but when I scroll down I will see a site with an unread article.

{quote]From which kind of folder (individual RSS feed, group folder, smart folder) are you experiencing this ?
Do you have ‘classic’ RSS feeds, OpenReader feeds or a mix of both ?


I don't use (to my knowledge) smart folders, or OpenReader feeds. No Authentication in feeds. If I do a Get Info on a subscription is shows a Feed URL of the sort: http://www.mcelhearn.com/feed/

liam wrote:2. 'n' no longer cycles back to the top. If I have read down my list and either I do a refresh, or a timed refresh happens, 'n' will not take me from the bottom of the list to the next unread at the top of the list. It acts as if there are no more unread articles.

’n’ means ‘next unread’. It will get back to the top only after it has finished other unread articles from the same folder

Yes. I generally read from the top of my list to the bottom with the 'next unread'. When I hit the last unread I often do a CMD-R or click the refresh button. It used to be that when new unread showed up after the refresh that pressing 'n' would take me back to the top of the list of sites onto the topmost unread article. Now if there are no unread articles below the spot in the list when I am the 'n' key does nothing even if there are unread articles in the list above.

liam wrote:3. Previously when 'n' took me to the next site it would place me at the unread item at the top of the list, and I would see that part of the list. Now I will 'n' to the next unread article and it seems that the position pointer is not reset from the previous site - so if I end up with the correct unread article being displayed but the article list is displaying articles further down the list, often so far down the list that none of the unread articles are displayed. If I manually scroll the article list back to the top then I see all the unread, and it works fine after that for the site I am on.

Did you see an improvement on this particular point in 3.1.5 RC 1 which is available at https://bintray.com/viennarss/vienna-rs ... .5RC1/view ?

With my first quick look it seems to act better with this. Also the 'n' key acts different. When I get to the last unread article in a site the next press of 'n' takes me to the top article in that same site, even though it's unread.

barijaona
Vienna Team
Posts: 626
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:10 am
Contact:

Re: Using the N-key breakage in Version 3.1.4 :6ea6f87:

Postby barijaona » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:08 am

liam wrote:
barijaona wrote:Did you see an improvement on this particular point in 3.1.5 RC 1 which is available at https://bintray.com/viennarss/vienna-rs ... .5RC1/view ?

With my first quick look it seems to act better with this. Also the 'n' key acts different. When I get to the last unread article in a site the next press of 'n' takes me to the top article in that same site, even though it's unread.


Please test 3.1.5 RC 1 a little longer and give me an updated description of the remaining problems. Specify if they are intermittent or reproducible.
Thanks.
I contribute to Vienna RSS as a developer.
Please, don't forget those tips for writing a good bug report

JSH56
Harmless
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:29 am

Re: Using the N-key breakage in Version 3.1.4 :6ea6f87:

Postby JSH56 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:35 am

barijaona wrote:@JSH56 : I understand from your posts that the problem is intermittent for you. Can you confirm ?


Originally I thought it was intermittent, but since I’ve discovered it only affects the last unread post in my feeds.
Affects: Next Unread and spacebar methods of reading next unread article.

barijaona
Vienna Team
Posts: 626
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:10 am
Contact:

Re: Using the N-key breakage in Version 3.1.4 :6ea6f87:

Postby barijaona » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:07 pm

JSH56 wrote:Originally I thought it was intermittent, but since I’ve discovered it only affects the last unread post in my feeds.


The last unread post for each feed or the last unread post among all feeds ?
I contribute to Vienna RSS as a developer.
Please, don't forget those tips for writing a good bug report

JSH56
Harmless
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:29 am

Re: Using the N-key breakage in Version 3.1.4 :6ea6f87:

Postby JSH56 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:50 pm

barijaona wrote:
JSH56 wrote:Originally I thought it was intermittent, but since I’ve discovered it only affects the last unread post in my feeds.


The last unread post for each feed or the last unread post among all feeds ?



Sorry… the last unread post of ALL of the feeds.

liam
Harmless
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:07 am

Re: Using the N-key breakage in Version 3.1.4 :6ea6f87:

Postby liam » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:19 am

barijaona wrote:
liam wrote:
barijaona wrote:Did you see an improvement on this particular point in 3.1.5 RC 1 which is available at https://bintray.com/viennarss/vienna-rs ... .5RC1/view ?

With my first quick look it seems to act better with this. Also the 'n' key acts different. When I get to the last unread article in a site the next press of 'n' takes me to the top article in that same site, even though it's unread.


Please test 3.1.5 RC 1 a little longer and give me an updated description of the remaining problems. Specify if they are intermittent or reproducible.
Thanks.


Version 3.1.5 RC 1 :89efe99:
So the display glitch I reported seems to be gone - when 'n' takes me to a new group I am properly positioned at the first unread even when I was 30+ articles down the list in the previous group (said glitch was that even though the correct article is selected the article list was positioned where it was in the previous group - as I said this doesn't appear to happen with the RC).

The 'n' key still doesn't take me to the last article if that last single article in in a group further down my list. If the last article is is one of a number in a subsequent group the 'n' key will take me to that group, and correctly show all articles including the final one. HOWEVER if there is a *single* article in a subsequent group and that is the last unread article then 'n' key does nothing - leaving me positioned in the current group.

The action of the 'n' key has CHANGED in this RC when I have read to the bottom of my list. If there are NO unread articles then the 'n' key does nothing. If there are unread articles in the list ABOVE my current position, and none below then the 'n' key will jump me to the top article in the current group, even though it's read. Previous to the RC it would do nothing when there were unread articles above the current position. So the behavior is still wrong.

These are all reproducible - happen every time.
Thanks!

barijaona
Vienna Team
Posts: 626
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:10 am
Contact:

Re: Using the N-key breakage in Version 3.1.4 :6ea6f87:

Postby barijaona » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:00 am

Thanks for these reports. It is much clearer now.
I contribute to Vienna RSS as a developer.
Please, don't forget those tips for writing a good bug report

barijaona
Vienna Team
Posts: 626
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:10 am
Contact:

Re: Using the N-key breakage in Version 3.1.4 :6ea6f87:

Postby barijaona » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:25 am

Please try the 3.1.5 Release Candidate 2

https://github.com/ViennaRSS/vienna-rss ... F3.1.5_rc2
I contribute to Vienna RSS as a developer.
Please, don't forget those tips for writing a good bug report

liam
Harmless
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:07 am

Re: Using the N-key breakage in Version 3.1.4 :6ea6f87:

Postby liam » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:56 am

barijaona wrote:Please try the 3.1.5 Release Candidate 2

https://github.com/ViennaRSS/vienna-rss ... F3.1.5_rc2


All the issues I saw using the 'n' key appear to be fixed in RC2

Thank you
Cheers, Liam


Return to “Vienna”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users