Article refresh removes article text in Unread Articles pane

An RSS/Atom newsreader with features comparable to commercial newsreaders.
lclark0751
Harmless

Article refresh removes article text in Unread Articles pane

Postby lclark0751 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:05 pm

I just upgraded to version 3.1.6 :526419c:

I was reading an article in the Unread Articles pane when Vienna decided it was time to check for new articles (every 15 minutes). When it did that the text of the article I was reading disappeared, leaving a blank pane. Selecting the next article in the Unread Articles list displays that article's text in the reader pane, but re-selecting the original article still leaves a blank pane. A one-minute video screen-capture showing what is happening is in my dropbox:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/249 ... apture.mov (25.3 MB)

Looks like I need to change Vienna's preferences to manually check for new articles. While I was waiting for the screen-capture file to sync to my dropbox, Vienna did another refresh of my RSS feeds and the text of the article I was reading disappeared. This is obviously a repeatable bug.

barijaona
Vienna Team

Re: Article refresh removes article text in Unread Articles

Postby barijaona » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:30 pm

I could not reproduce this. Reminds me of the issue labelled 601 on Github.

Does restarting the app bring back the article ?
I contribute to Vienna RSS as a developer.
Please, don't forget those tips for writing a good bug report

sandstrom
Muffin

Postby sandstrom » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:05 am

I can reproduce this, sort of.

Selected folder: “all unread” smart folder.
View/Layout: Vertical
An article is selected.
Vienna refreshes.
* The selected article is send to the bottom of the list, the content pane is empty.
* in the article list the meta data (not the title) lists null null (instead of date/author)

However, if one then goes to the folder that actually contains the feed for the article, the article is there in full.

It is intermittent on my side. If Vienna is in the foreground and I’m actually reading the article, the content does not disappear.[**] If Vienna is in the background (hidden or not), then I’ve seen it happen a few times since the latest 3.1.6 beta build.
10.11.6 El Capitan.

[**] Note: in that case the scroll position inside the article jumps back to the top. E.g, I’m reading a long article, scrolling down (say, I’m halfway down), Vienna refreshes, the scroll position jumps back to top. Only seems to happen when in a smart folder, AFAICT.

lclark0751
Harmless

Postby lclark0751 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:19 am

This is totally repeatable for me, even in 3.1.7. Just press cmd-R to "Refresh all subscriptions" while viewing an article in the "Unread Articles" list. Poof! The selected article text disappears.

OS X Yosemite 10.10.5.

sandstrom
Muffin

Postby sandstrom » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:11 am

This appears to be fixed with Vienna 3.1.8. Thank you!

Return to “Vienna”