Deleting articles from Unread Articles doesn't really delete them

An RSS/Atom newsreader with features comparable to commercial newsreaders.
lclark0751
Harmless

Deleting articles from Unread Articles doesn't really delete them

Postby lclark0751 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:06 pm

I normally read articles in the Unread Articles folder. My usual modus operandi is to either read and delete them there, or to scan the subject/title of articles, decide I don't want to read them, and delete them there. Usually a couple times a day I then empty the trash. I do this in an attempt to prevent Vienna from dramatically slowing down while I'm working through the Unread Articles folder. This doesn't always work, and I think I may have figured out why. When I delete an article from the Unread Articles folder, which moves it to the Trash folder, and then empty the trash, the articles are still in their original feed folders! So deleting them from the Unread Articles folder, then emptying the trash doesn't really delete them! Lame. When an article is deleted from the Unread Articles folder, it should be deleted everywhere. Period. The current behavior is unintuitive to say the least, and I suspect is the reason that Vienna exhibits dramatically slow response when you let it run for long periods of time without manually deleting articles, emptying the trash, then manually deleting them from the original feed folders and emptying the trash again.

lclark0751
Harmless

Re: Deleting articles from Unread Articles doesn't really delete them

Postby lclark0751 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:15 pm

Update:

I noticed a day or two ago that deleting articles in the "Unread Articles" folder doesn't move them to the "Trash". No wonder Vienna slows to a crawl after a while. I don't understand why deleting articles from *any* folder doesn't move them to the "Trash", but I'll assume this behavior is intended on the part of the developers. If that is indeed the case, it would be nice if there was a Preference setting to enable users to modify it so that articles deleted from the "Unread Articles" folder go into the trash (and are removed from their "parent" folders at the same time).

lesjen
Harmless

Re: Deleting articles from Unread Articles doesn't really delete them

Postby lesjen » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:31 pm

I also read from the unread folder! I find it unintuitive that articles I have read stays visible in the unread folder. When read they should disappear from the view in the folder. Even when I mark the folder as read they should disappear.

Return to “Vienna”