3.1.16 and older consistently crash on Yosemite

An RSS/Atom newsreader with features comparable to commercial newsreaders.
beekay
Harmless

3.1.16 and older consistently crash on Yosemite

Postby beekay » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:08 am

I updated 3.1.0 :a5cab92: to 3.1.16 :891d05ea: in the hopes that it would not crash as 3.1.0 did, but 3.1.16 still crashes in the same way (EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS) / KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE). I have tried 3.1.16, 3.1.15, 3.1.9, 3.1.8, and 3.1.0, and they all crash in the same way, both while I am interacting with the app and without any interaction with the app in the background. After I start the app, it will crash within minutes, or not, and crash shortly later. I don't think I've had it running for a half hour without it crashing.

MacBook Pro 11,3 with Yosemite 10.10.5, 16gb RAM, plenty of space on the SSD.

3.1.0 runs fine on Mountain Lion on a MacMini. I have not tried any other versions on ML.

See log files in the attached archive.

The log timestamped 191658 is a run of 3.1.16 after clicking the Refresh button in the toolbar, while a refresh was in progress.
193311 is a run of 3.1.6 after launching and switching immediately to another app, with Vienna left to run in the background, and with no user interaction at all.
201510 is a run of 3.1.9 after launching and switching immediately to another app, with Vienna left to run in the background, and with no user interaction at all. (I chose 3.1.9 for no particular reason.)

Thank you.
Attachments
Archive.zip
(58.66 KiB) Downloaded 20 times

josh64x2
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: 3.1.16 and older consistently crash on Yosemite

Postby josh64x2 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:17 am

Hi,

Have you changed the number of concurrent downloads in the advanced preferences?

I help with Vienna development.

beekay
Harmless

Postby beekay » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:00 pm

The number of concurrent downloads in advanced preferences is set to 10. I do not recall if I have ever changed it or if this is the default. Should I change it? To more or fewer or to a specific number?

------------------------------
Edit: I set the number of concurrent downloads to 1, 5, and 15, and each time, refreshed feeds, and each time, Vienna crashed while refreshing. See attached logs.

Note that Vienna has crashed in the past not only while refreshing feeds, but while reading articles, or while sitting idle in the background (or doing whatever it might have been doing while in the background).
Attachments
Archive.zip
(83.24 KiB) Downloaded 12 times

barijaona
Vienna Team

Postby barijaona » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:11 pm

Could you try quitting Vienna, moving aside the preferences file (~/Library/Preferences/uk.co.opencommunity.vienna2.plist) and relaunch ?
Don’t change any preference for a time and report back if you encounter the crash.
I contribute to Vienna RSS as a developer.
Please, don't forget those tips for writing a good bug report

beekay
Harmless

Postby beekay » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:53 pm

I did as you suggested and Vienna crashed within minutes. See the attached archive that contains the old plist, the new plist created by Vienna when I ran it again, system.log excerpts concerning Vienna, the spindump, and crash report.
Attachments
Archive.zip
(37.95 KiB) Downloaded 16 times

beekay
Harmless

Postby beekay » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:19 pm

I am completely at a loss to understand what to do. Can someone please help?

josh64x2
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby josh64x2 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:54 pm

I hope to have some time tomorrow to look into it again. Sorry!
I help with Vienna development.

David Munch
Grandé

Postby David Munch » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:00 pm

Try moving the Vienna folder away from ~/Library/Application Support/ and start Vienna.
For Vienna issues: Please search Github before posting! Otherwise, file a bug report on Github.

If you are interested in helping out with the development of Vienna, see the Vienna website for details. All levels of programming experience are welcome! :grin:

beekay
Harmless

Postby beekay » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:38 pm

1. With Vienna not running, I moved ~/Library/Application Support/Vienna to the desktop.
2. I ran 3.1.6. It created its folder in ~/Library/Application Support and ran without error for hours. I made no changes to the feeds list or any preferences, and did not manually refresh feeds.
3. I quit 3.1.6.
4. I ran 3.1.16 using the folder in ~/Library/Application Support that 3.1.6 had created.
5. 3.1.16 ran its database conversion and almost immediately created a spindump report (#1 in attached archive). After 15 minutes of running with the pinwheel cursor showing, it had not completed, and I killed it via the Force Quit dialog. Another spindump report was created (#2 in attached archive).
6. I deleted ~/Library/Application Support/Vienna.
7. I ran 3.1.16 again. It created its folder in ~/Library/Application Support. I made no changes to the feeds list or any preferences, and did not manually refresh feeds. It ran without error.
8. After 10 minutes or so, I moved all of the default feeds into a folder that I created, and imported my last OPML export of my feeds. I made no other changes.
9. A couple of minutes later I refreshed all feeds. Vienna crashed and generated a crash report.

So, it appears to me that something is amiss not only in my old Vienna messages.db, but also in my OPML feeds export.

The attached archive contains:
- Vienna's log messages from Console for all of the actions taken above
- spindumps 1 and 2 and crash report as mentioned above
- the OPML that I imported

Thank you for your help.
Attachments
Archive.zip
(106.3 KiB) Downloaded 5 times

Return to “Vienna”