browser support for <sup> tags?

An RSS/Atom newsreader with features comparable to commercial newsreaders.
gogobera
Harmless

browser support for <sup> tags?

Postby gogobera » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:12 pm

I'm getting the RSS from futilitycloset.com, and it often contains mathematics. Exponents are marked up with the <sup> tag, but in Vienna's article view, the tag disappears, so that, for instance, five squared would appear as "52". For instance, see the entry at https://www.futilitycloset.com/2018/01/17/et-tu-2/.

It occurred to me that I don't know if this is an issue with Vienna or the feed's source, but I also don't see how to View Source on the feed article.

Any ideas? Sorry in advance when it turns out I've missed something obvious.

barijaona
Vienna Team

Re: browser support for <sup> tags?

Postby barijaona » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:22 am

Can you post a screenshot ? Seems to be correct here, both in Vienna and in Safari.
I contribute to Vienna RSS as a developer.
Please, don't forget those tips for writing a good bug report

gogobera
Harmless

Postby gogobera » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:41 pm

Shoot. I kicked myself for not posting a screenshot the first time, and now I don't seem to have an article that exhibits the problem. I had hoped it was clear enough though. What I'd typically type as "x^y", meaning "x to the y", is rendered in the article feed as "xy". The webpage associated with the feed entry shows "x<sup>y</sup>" in the HTML. To be clear, the webpage renders properly in Vienna's browser.

Is there a good way to see the source for the rss feed articles? (I'm comfortable navigating a filesystem in Terminal.) And should I have been able to figure this out with the built-in help or online FAQs?

I'll follow up here next time I have a good example from my feed. Thanks barijaona!

sandstrom
Latté

Postby sandstrom » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:40 pm

gogobera wrote:Is there a good way to see the source for the rss feed articles? (I'm comfortable navigating a filesystem in Terminal.) And should I have been able to figure this out with the built-in help or online FAQs?

You can enable the Webkit inspector for debugging: Quit Vienna if it is running, in Terminal:

Code: Select all

defaults write uk.co.opencommunity.vienna2 WebKitDeveloperExtras -bool true

Restart Vienna, go to the page you want to check, right click -> Inspect. Works the same as Safari.

It is possible that the particular feed / article showing the problem is styling the sup in some way (inline style ?).

gogobera
Harmless

Postby gogobera » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:59 am

That's a great tip, sandstorm, thanks. I'm just waiting on a good post with exponents now to check out.

Next thought! I'm using the Vienna style "Serifim Light". I need to check the "Default" theme. Is there a place to see how the themes style tags?

jordychap
Harmless

Postby jordychap » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:24 am

View feed source:
Ctrl-click (or right-click) feed name > Show XML Source

(Your feed does show the <sup> markup.)

Theme style info (CSS):
/Applications/Vienna.app/Contents/SharedSupport/Styles/Serifim\ Light.viennastyle/stylesheet.css

(Serafim Light resets all default CSS, including <sup>, and does not restyle <sup>, so there's your problem.)

P.S. If you wanna hack stylesheet.css:

Code: Select all

sup, sub {font-size: smaller;}
sup {vertical-align: super;}
sub {vertical-align: sub;}

Ref. Superscript in CSS only? - Stack Overflow

Return to “Vienna”