3.5.0 - persistent incorrect status bar message

An RSS/Atom newsreader with features comparable to commercial newsreaders.
DutchPeter
Harmless

3.5.0 - persistent incorrect status bar message

Postby DutchPeter » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:55 pm

I've (finally) updated to 3.5.0 yesterday and find that the issues I'd reported for 3.2.0 are - AFAICT- resolved. Thank you!

But just now when macOS notified me that a feed refresh had occurred, I accidentally spotted a minor anomaly in the status bar (at the very bottom of the Main Window)

It should read 'Refresh completed' as I recall from my previous Vienna version.
The message persists through browsing updated feeds and closing and opening the Vienna Main Window, but disappears after a restart.
On app launch, the status bar shows a live updated countdown of the number of feeds that are accessed and finishes with 'Refresh completed'.

macOS 10.9.5, Vienna 3.5.0

DutchPeter
Harmless

Re: 3.5.0 - persistent incorrect status bar message

Postby DutchPeter » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:03 pm

update now that I've noticed the issue reported above, I can't help but look at the status bar as soon as my feeds have been updated.
But just now I've noticed that the issue has gone: the message reads 'Refresh completed' as it should.

I'll be keeping an eye on this and report back in this topic when applicable.

DutchPeter
Harmless

Postby DutchPeter » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:06 pm

And I noticed the same phenomenon again just now, after all went well for a few days.

And it survives a new feed scan btw.

I cannot, for the life of me, figure out what triggers this. Not a serious bug by any means, but puzzling nonetheless.

Stern
Muffin

Postby Stern » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:01 pm

Does the Activity Window show anything? I've seen this a few times, and suspect it's caused by some feed erroring out.

DutchPeter
Harmless

Postby DutchPeter » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am

No, I can't find any 'suspicious' Vienna related stuff in my Console.
FWIW, I have some 280 feeds on an hourly refresh rate and often one or two are failing to load (not a Vienna issue).
That has never caused Vienna (previous version) to show the 'Refresh completed' status message after an appropriate pause trying to load the failing feeds.

But this morning at a fresh app start it showed again

FWIW, all is functioning just fine otherwise: all my feeds load and show. It's just that the 'Refresh complete' message fails to show intermittently.

DutchPeter
Harmless

Postby DutchPeter » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:48 pm

Not sure if it's related, but when my feed refresh cycle started some 20 minutes ago, all went well apart from the fact that 2 of my feeds were showing the animated 'attempting to load' icon. The status bar now shows no message at all (where I was expecting to see a queue of 2). An expected time-out with the related yellow 'feed error' icon hasn't been forthcoming.
Sadly, I cannot stop the apparent load attempt of those 2 feeds because the Refresh toggle icon in the toolbar only shows the 'Refresh' setting, not the 'Stop refresh'.

A restart of Vienna fixed one of those 'load attempts', one is still seen to attempt a feed load. The Macworld feed does not validate:
The read operation timed out (SSLError; misconfigured server?)

I was expecting the attempted load of that feed to fail after a very short time and show the related yellow 'Error' icon.

Perhaps the feed error will resolve itself overnight (it usually does), but something is also amiss with Vienna here. I'm afraid.

update: the next feed load cycle has made the 'load attempt' animated icon disappear, now the 'yellow 'load error' icon shows.

Stern
Muffin

Postby Stern » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:37 pm

DutchPeter wrote:No, I can't find any 'suspicious' Vienna related stuff in my Console.

I meant Vienna's Activity Window (⌘0).

dirt farmer
Latté

Postby dirt farmer » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:19 pm

Yes, expand all of your folders during the refresh. One or more feeds are surely timing out, and that can take a minute or so.

DutchPeter
Harmless

Postby DutchPeter » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:27 am

^ Ah! I do apologise.

Just now the first feed refresh cycle of the day has run and I was left with one feed error.
Vienna showed this in the status bar

but told me through macOS Notifications that the update cycle had finished.

The Refresh/Stop Refresh button showed the option 'Stop refresh'. Upon clicking the status bar message changed to 'Refresh completed'.
When I initiated a dedicated feed refresh for that single feed error, the feed retrieval in progress (animated loading icon) showed and hasn't yet changed to the yellow 'feed error' icon yet after some 10 minutes. It'll probably disappear after the next feed update cycle:

Now, Vienna's Activity window:
All available feeds show, with one of 2 messages:
- No new articles available
- x new articles retrieved

When I select the feed which is still attempting to load a message shows at the bottom of the Activity window:

I'm still not able to figure out a pattern for this phenomenon to appear or, for that matter, to indicate how to reproduce this bug.

DutchPeter
Harmless

Postby DutchPeter » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:11 pm

The David Walsh feed is now OK, but the status bar messages have alternated between "refresh completed' and 'Queue (xyz) - refreshing subscriptions'

Currently I see this: Image

The Vienna Activity Window shows nothing suspicious

FWIW, I now think that when I manage to read every feed refresh (all new feeds items) before another one takes place, the status bar always reports 'refresh completed'.
But when I'm otherwise occupied and a new feed refresh loads over a previous (unread) one, presenting me with the result of 2 (or more) unread feed refresh cycles, that mysterious status bar message appears.

DutchPeter
Harmless

Postby DutchPeter » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:40 pm

No, my assumption in the post above is incorrect.
For 2 consecutive days, the 'Queue (200)' status bar message showed, unchanged over a Vienna restart and multiple feed cycle updates.

Today I only see the 'Refresh completed' message, despite allowing more than 1 refresh cycle to occur without reading anything.

Return to “Vienna”