3.5.1 - old feed column width instability resurfaces

An RSS/Atom newsreader with features comparable to commercial newsreaders.
DutchPeter
Harmless

3.5.1 - old feed column width instability resurfaces

Postby DutchPeter » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:36 pm

A while ago I updated my Vienna to be faced with an issue that compelled me to regress to an earlier edition: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=27053&p=140287#p140287
But recently I jumped from 3.1.6 to 3.5.0 and that particular nasty issue never bothered me since.

Just 5 minutes ago Vienna 3.5.0 alerted me to the 3.5.1 update. After a quick glance at the release notes, I decided to update.
When I was halfway through browsing my new feeds in 3.5.1 the issue of the unexpected widening of the subscription width column suddenly manifested itself.
To say that this was an unwelcome and unexpected surprise is putting it mildly.

Apart from an issue with the status bar messages (reported here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=27109) I was thus far pleased with 3.5.0

But this new issue is unacceptable (as it was before) and I've now been forced to regress to 3.5.0 again.
I'm disappointed by 3.5.1. I can live with minor issues, but a one that cripples the user experience is unacceptable.

macOS 10.9.5

barijaona
Vienna Team

Re: 3.5.1 - old feed column width instability resurfaces

Postby barijaona » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:01 pm

I am as surprised as you because I see no reason for 3.5.0 and 3.5.1 to behave differently on this…

Can you confirm that getting back to 3.5.0 removes the annoyance ?
Do you have have any feed or folder with a title in a non latin alphabet ?
Do you use an OpenReader server or are all your feeds accessed directly ?
I contribute to Vienna RSS as a developer.
Please, don't forget those tips for writing a good bug report

DutchPeter
Harmless

Postby DutchPeter » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:29 pm

Apologies for my late reply.

Yes, moving back to 3.5.0 removed the annoyance and I've loaded the exact same .opml file
Do you have have any feed or folder with a title in a non latin alphabet ?
Do you use an OpenReader server or are all your feeds accessed directly ?

No to both. All my feeds are accessed directly. I can't exactly remember which feed caused the issue but it was gone as soon as I regressed.

I remain perplexed with this issue: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=27109 though.
It's a different message every day, sometimes the number changes during the day. But it's never what it should be: 'Refresh completed'
But hey, I can live with that.

Just been warned about 3.5.2 btw but that appears to 'solve' some (for me) irrelevant issues. I've become a little skittish about upgrading ...

barijaona
Vienna Team

Postby barijaona » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:30 am

As I said, there is no clear reason the problem is present in 3.5.1 and not in 3.5.0. So it is quite possible it disappeared in 3.5.2…

Autolayout on OS X 10.9 is notoriously known to have issues (which were progressively solved in 10.10 and 10.11), so you cannot expect the dev team to make progress on this if you aren’t eager to experiment a little…

I spent a few hours on a 10.9 VirtualBox VM yesterday and could not reproduce the issue.
I contribute to Vienna RSS as a developer.
Please, don't forget those tips for writing a good bug report

Return to “Vienna”