Perian 1.1.1 imminent? Nightlies?

The Perian forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
diamondsw
Harmless

Perian 1.1.1 imminent? Nightlies?

Postby diamondsw » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:40 pm

Looking through the commits on Trac, I see several references to a 1.1.1 release (or at least a beta of it) being prepared, and I'm personally quite interested in commit 873, which may fix the Leopard Front Row issues (here's hoping!). Is this planned soon?

On a similar topic, how difficult would it be to create nightly builds? Transmission does this currently, and it's quite a boon if you see a particular issue fixed in a Trac listing. I'd try to just build it myself, but I've seen the ongoing discussions about issues with XCode and relying on the beta versions in the iPhone SDK, and I just don't know that I want to go that far at the moment.

Thanks! Looking forward to being able to ditch VLC on my home media center and use Front Row!

(Okay, one last aside and I'll quit, I promise. Why can't Apple support some of these projects more fully? Why should I need Perian to open common video formats, The Unarchiver to open common compression formats, TextWrangler to deal with different text file encodings, and MacFUSE to get things like writable FTP, SFTP, and writable NTFS? The Mac is supposed to "Just Work" and largely does, but its ease of interoperating with other systems and formats still leaves a hell of a lot to be desired. It would do Apple a lot of good to either contribute heavily to these projects, or license technology and roll their functionality into the OS.)

Mr VacBob
Crema

Re: Perian 1.1.1 imminent? Nightlies?

Postby Mr VacBob » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:45 am

I've done all the work on the beta I can, I think the only reason it hasn't happened yet is that gbooker is busy.

Unfortunately, that's in there as a hack since it doesn't quite work. Styled subtitles will look pretty messed up (especially transparent ones), it will switch to a really bad software scaler if the movie needs to be resized, and it'll run really slowly. I think I could fix it with a few days of hacking at FrontRow with Application Enhancer, but I've got a lot of other stuff to do.

Oh, and I don't have any hardware free to build stuff. I'm not sure what to do about hosting it, but Dreamhost works for nonessential stuff like that.

diamondsw
Harmless

Postby diamondsw » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:10 am

Mr VacBob wrote:I've done all the work on the beta I can, I think the only reason it hasn't happened yet is that gbooker is busy.

Unfortunately, that's in there as a hack since it doesn't quite work. Styled subtitles will look pretty messed up (especially transparent ones), it will switch to a really bad software scaler if the movie needs to be resized, and it'll run really slowly. I think I could fix it with a few days of hacking at FrontRow with Application Enhancer, but I've got a lot of other stuff to do.

Oh, and I don't have any hardware free to build stuff. I'm not sure what to do about hosting it, but Dreamhost works for nonessential stuff like that.

I appreciate the info! As far as subtitles in Front Row go, anything is better than the whole picture blacking out like it does right now. I accept that it's extremely likely that this is a Front Row bug (and your mention of using APE to fix it would seem to indicate the same), but with Apple's history it's also extremely unlikely to be fixed. I assume it's a bug opened and duplicated by many already.

Keep it on the list for a rainy day. :)

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:47 pm

The other problem is that we pretty much don't want the backlash that goes with using .ape to fix it.

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:49 pm

diamondsw wrote:(Okay, one last aside and I'll quit, I promise. Why can't Apple support some of these projects more fully? Why should I need Perian to open common video formats, The Unarchiver to open common compression formats, TextWrangler to deal with different text file encodings, and MacFUSE to get things like writable FTP, SFTP, and writable NTFS? The Mac is supposed to "Just Work" and largely does, but its ease of interoperating with other systems and formats still leaves a hell of a lot to be desired. It would do Apple a lot of good to either contribute heavily to these projects, or license technology and roll their functionality into the OS.)

It does just work for who they intend to sell it to, imho.

Microsoft got into a lot of trouble with just internet explorder and windows media player for doing just what you are proposing, but you want to have apple do the same anti-competitive thing. Weird.

diamondsw
Harmless

Postby diamondsw » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:12 pm

The_Tick wrote:It does just work for who they intend to sell it to, imho.

Microsoft got into a lot of trouble with just internet explorer and windows media player for doing just what you are proposing, but you want to have apple do the same anti-competitive thing. Weird.

They did? I always thought it was about illegal tying of Internet Explorer to the Windows monopoly and threatening OEM's with pulling their Windows licenses if they promoted Netscape

All I was asking for is things like Archive Utility handle a few more formats (rar!), filesystem support be improved (NTFS-3G, SFTP from OpenSSH, writable FTP), and codec support be improved. What is "anti-competitive" here? Actually, codec support is the least likely of all, as Apple views MPEG-4 as strategic, so they're not about to directly support competing formats like DivX, Xvid, or WMV9. Then again, you could easily argue that such lack of support is the anti-competitive move.

diamondsw
Harmless

Postby diamondsw » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:49 am

So - is this project dead or what? A 1.1.1 seemed ready to go three months ago, and... nothing. People keep pouring in multitudes of bugs (mostly with subtitles, Front Row, and AC3 passthrough issues), but no updates. Not even a FAQ or basic description of what is preventing updates. For something that seemed such a holy grail last year, it's turned into a real disappointment. I'm back to using VLC (because it can actually play content) and Divx for those files that are encoded relatively simply.

clintobean14
Muffin

Postby clintobean14 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:36 pm

there is one issue in trac that is preventing 1.1.1 from being released. only the developers know if it is worth holding up 1.1.1

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:27 pm

We've got one or two issues left, barring whats on the ticket system, then we're going to enter the beta cycle.

Return to “Perian”