Disable MKV subtitles for quicktime and front row?

The Perian forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
chinaski
Harmless

Disable MKV subtitles for quicktime and front row?

Postby chinaski » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:50 pm

I have searched the forums for a solution but have found none. Is there a way to disable internal subtitles in an MKV for playback in Quicktime and Front Row?? The load external subtitles check box in the preference pane does nothing and constantly reverts its state back to checked. I can disable the track using QT pro but that doesn't help for front row. Has anyone solved this? Super frustrating. VLC works seamlessly for this stuff but I have a set up in my home theatre that makes front row a far better solution. The same problem exists for audio tracks. I need to not have to have the english dub on.

itstooearly
Harmless

Re: Disable MKV subtitles for quicktime and front row?

Postby itstooearly » Sat May 01, 2010 9:45 pm

Quicktime Player 10.0
Snow leopard 10.6.3
Perian 1.2.1

I have had the same problem. I have a MKV video that I can play in VCL, and want to play in quicktime/itunes/front row. I have installed a quicktime 10 preferences utility with a subtitle enable/disable button, but that doesn't help either. I opened the QT preferences while the file was open, and saw that the subtitle was Text Subtitle (Perian). I assumed this could be disabled in the perian preferences but no luck there. I would love to be able to view my .mkv files with QT+Perian, but there's no way I will do this if I can't disable the subtitles. Anyone know how to disable subtitles???

itstooearly
Harmless

Postby itstooearly » Sun May 02, 2010 7:49 pm

I was able to remove subtitles when I upgraded to pro, which cost 5.99 for a registration code on ebay. :grin:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Quicktime-Pro-Lates ... 566wt_1167

mj662
Harmless

Postby mj662 » Sun May 30, 2010 6:11 am

I have the same issue and i have QuickTime Pro and still can not disable Sub Titles. It would be nice if Parilian set the default to off! i am not using Front Row i am just using QuickTime.

Love the app thanks for the hard work!!

mark
B-)

gbooker
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby gbooker » Sun May 30, 2010 3:25 pm

There is a reason we've mentioned NicePlayer on the Perian website from day one.
mj662 wrote:It would be nice if Parilian set the default to off!

It's spelled Perian, and defaulting to off is the wrong choice given Perian's usage.

mj662
Harmless

Postby mj662 » Sun May 30, 2010 7:20 pm

gbooker wrote:
It's spelled Perian, and defaulting to off is the wrong choice given Perian's usage.

Wrong choice? O:) not the wrong choice for users on this forum who are struggling with this issue. Why not default to off until the issue is salved?
I would think most people do not use subtitles and choose to watch the movie in it's intended format.

Mark

gbooker
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby gbooker » Mon May 31, 2010 12:18 pm

mj662 wrote:I would think most people do not use subtitles and choose to watch the movie in it's intended format.

I know most cases with subtitles included are those who need the subtitles to understand the content.

mj662 wrote:Why not default to off until the issue is salved?

It certainly won't be salved, until someone can at least describe how to apply ointment to software. Besides, I already gave you a solution in my previous post.

mj662
Harmless

Postby mj662 » Mon May 31, 2010 7:10 pm

gbooker wrote:
mj662 wrote:I would think most people do not use subtitles and choose to watch the movie in it's intended format.

I know most cases with subtitles included are those who need the subtitles to understand the content.

It certainly won't be salved, until someone can at least describe how to apply ointment to software. Besides, I already gave you a solution in my previous post.

gbooker, you are the most aragonite admin I have ever come across.

Just because subtitles are included in a movie does not mean they are meant to be on. If the movie is in English it is meant to be seen in English everything else is an afterthought.

You say you have a solution? i did not see it. The solution I have found is using software that gives the user control written buy programers who are understanding about how there software is used.

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Mon May 31, 2010 7:18 pm

mj662 wrote:gbooker, you are the most aragonite admin I have ever come across.

Just because subtitles are included in a movie does not mean they are meant to be on. If the movie is in English it is meant to be seen in English everything else is an afterthought.

You say you have a solution? i did not see it. The solution I have found is using software that gives the user control written buy programers who are understanding about how there software is used.

You're joking, right?

If you want to disable subtitles, use a UI that presents them, such as NicePlayer. Not displaying subtitles would be the incorrect behavior almost all of the time. Perian is used fairly often for content such as anime and other foreign-generated content where English subtitles are the only viable method to understand the content.

Your suggestion is that the case which happens most often, subtitles needing to be displayed when included, should be ignored because you personally don't want to disable them for the minority of media that has subtitles for the same language as the audio? And you call him arrogant? (I assume you meant arrogant, because aragonite is certainly not an adjective I'd assign to a human being, if it were an adjective.)

mj662
Harmless

Postby mj662 » Mon May 31, 2010 7:33 pm

zac wrote:
mj662 wrote:gbooker, you are the most arrogant admin I have ever come across.

You're joking, right?

If you want to disable subtitles, use a UI that presents them, such as NicePlayer. Not displaying subtitles would be the incorrect behavior almost all of the time. Perian is used fairly often for content such as anime and other foreign-generated content where English subtitles are the only viable method to understand the content.

Your suggestion is that the case which happens most often, subtitles needing to be displayed when included, should be ignored because you personally don't want to disable them for the minority of media that has subtitles for the same language as the audio? And you call him arrogant? (I assume you meant arrogant, because aragonite is certainly not an adjective I'd assign to a human being, if it were an adjective.)

Yes arrogant! Thank you! it is important this gets across clearly!

If you are correct that all subtitles should be on by default then why do DVD's come with them off? Why is all broadcast TV free of subtitles until the user enables them? And yes even Youtube has figured this out.
You think most users of this software are watching Japanese cartoons?? I don't claim to know but I find it very hard to believe.

gbooker
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby gbooker » Mon May 31, 2010 8:40 pm

mj662 wrote:The solution I have found is using software that gives the user control written buy programers who are understanding about how there software is used.

mj662 wrote:You think most users of this software are watching Japanese cartoons??

Most users who watch content with subtitles in the MKV file are in this exact situation. This means the developers do understand how their software is used. They also understand where their software lives, which is a layer that's not really intended to have any UI at all.

mj662 wrote:... I don't claim to know but I find it very hard to believe.

Yet you demand the programmers to change things to the way you want without claiming to know how the software is used? Now who's being arrogant? Let me get this straight. I'm arrogant since I refute your, now admittedly, naive statements with information about Perian's usage? Possibly it was since I gave you a solution in my first post, mentioned it again in my second, and I expected you to see it? I know, it was since I pointed out your spelling errors which were bad enough to change the content of the message. Guess I'm guilty of the last one again:

mj662 wrote:you are the most aragonite admin I have ever come across.

Here's aragonite: http://www.google.com/images?q=aragonite
Here's arrogant:
Patches Welcome. You want this so bad, do it yourself. Perian is open source and you have no excuse. You want me to do it, my rate is $200/hour, 2 hours min.

Instead of that, I gave you a workable solution in my first post, albeit a bit subtle, but one that I know works from personal experience. Now, I suggest you actually examine the solutions given in this thread, of which there's already more than one, and check your assumptions before posting again. Furthermore, quit with the trolling, especially against admins as they have the power, and the will, to deny you further access.

mj662
Harmless

Postby mj662 » Mon May 31, 2010 9:53 pm

gbooker wrote:Instead of that, I gave you a workable solution in my first post, albeit a bit subtle, but one that I know works from personal experience. Now, I suggest you actually examine the solutions given in this thread, of which there's already more than one, and check your assumptions before posting again. Furthermore, quit with the trolling, especially against admins as they have the power, and the will, to deny you further access.

Yet you demand the programmers to change things to the way you want without claiming to know how the software is used?

i don't know why you think I am demanding you or anyone do anything, when did i demand? I am expressing my experience with the software, and hoped for a reasonable response and felt your responses were condescending. I did not catch your suggestion to use the NicePlayer, I did not realize that was an alternative. Thank you for the suggestion.

Your original post,
gbooker wrote:"defaulting to off is the wrong choice given Perian's usage."

you might want to look at your original statement. wrong? For who, for Perian's usage? depends on who is using it right? it might not be the best choice for the majority of users but there is know wrong choice in this situation. You only limit yourself and alienate people with this kind of statement.
the description for Perian is "A QuickTime component that adds native support for many popular video formats", maybe the word subtitle should be incorporated into this description somehow?

Mark

gbooker
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby gbooker » Mon May 31, 2010 10:26 pm

mj662 wrote:when did i demand?

mj662 wrote:It would be nice if Parilian set the default to off!
mj662 wrote:The solution I have found is using software that gives the user control written buy programers who are understanding about how there software is used.
Interestingly enough, the best examples each contained a "spelling" error.

mj662 wrote:... felt your responses were condescending.
By your own admission:
mj662 wrote:I did not catch your suggestion to use the NicePlayer ...
So, your feelings were incorrect.

mj662 wrote:you might want to look at your original statement. wrong? For who, for Perian's usage? depends on who is using it right?
Again, check your assumptions. Not everyone is you nor is every file just like yours. Besides, I already answered this:
gbooker wrote:Most users who watch content with subtitles in the MKV file are [wanting subtitles displayed].
This statement is a direct result of reading statements made by the users.

mj662 wrote:Your original post,
gbooker wrote:defaulting to off is the wrong choice given Perian's usage.

... It might not be the best choice for the majority of users but there is know wrong choice in this situation. You only limit yourself and alienate people with this kind of statement.

So your above mentioned demands will, by your own admission, be more limiting and alienate more people. This is not a good argument.

mj662, since you have successfully turn yourself into a poisonous person, I'm locking this thread before it gets any longer (Visit that URL before you decide what a "poisonous person" is).

Return to “Perian”