MKV files won't open in Quicktime

The Perian forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
hashbrown
Harmless

MKV files won't open in Quicktime

Postby hashbrown » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:31 am

All of a sudden (within the last couple weeks anyhow) MKV files are no longer opening at all in Quicktime X or Quicktime 7 - all software updates are installed and Perian is up to date?

specs - MacBook 2.4 ghz - os 10.6.2 - Perian 1.2

So what the dilly yo? Is MKV broken? Is my computer effed? Am I taking crazy pills?

Throw me a bone folks!

Thanks.

efgrib
Harmless

Re: MKV files won't open in Quicktime

Postby efgrib » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:54 pm

same problem here, can anybody help?

mucci314
Harmless

Postby mucci314 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:23 am

Same here. I just posted a reply about it in another post. Mkv files are no longer playing in Quicktime, and I don't know why. However, the mkv files play in mplayer. Would a newest iTunes update have broken Perian support for QT?

--- UPDATE ---

Ok for some reason Perian went broken on my Mac. I think after changing all my .mkvs to be opened with QT directly, I lost the Perian script and I think it damaged the ability for QT to open .mkvs.

What I did was completely uninstall Perian. I went to Perian in the System Preferences pane, then clicked Uninstall Perian. After I did that, I Control-Clicked Perian in the Preferences Pane and removed it. Then I logged out, and logged back in. After logging back in I completely reinstalled Perian for all users on my mac mini. After double-clicking the install, I realized I had to click INSTALL PERIAN right within the preference pane. Once completely installed, I logged out AGAIN. I logged back in, and saw that the Perian script with which to open .mkv files had returned, so this time I changed all .mkvs to be opened with the script as opposed to QT directly.

I tested all the .mkvs I have that I've already watched and they resumed opening and playing once again. Hope that helps!

Mr VacBob
Crema

Postby Mr VacBob » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:53 am

It sounds like a system bug in LaunchServices. Unfortunately I can't think of any way we could work around that, but please write a bug report on http://bugreport.apple.com or http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html.

Return to “Perian”