Still cant play DIVX after installing Perian..

The Perian forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
morrissey007
Harmless

Still cant play DIVX after installing Perian..

Postby morrissey007 » Tue May 11, 2010 5:59 pm

Hi All, My first post and a new user to Macs and hence Perian so be gentle if I'm asking a question asked many times before (I did spend a while searching for the answer on this forum to no avail.)

I'm running Snow Leopard and QT 10, I have Perian installed but when I double click on a divx movie I still get the message "The document “videoname.divx” could not be opened. QuickTime Player cannot open files of this type." I cant work out what I'm doing wrong, I thought this was one of the things what Perian was for; to enable playback of divx on QT?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give!

Klaus1
Harmless

Re: Still cant play DIVX after installing Perian..

Postby Klaus1 » Sat May 29, 2010 5:37 pm

You should read this support page http://perian.org/#support in case you need to delete older codecs.

morrissey007
Harmless

Postby morrissey007 » Sat May 29, 2010 10:44 pm

Thanks for replying, yes I did read as much as I could, but In the end I just removed perian and divx, reloaded perian and it works now!

Klaus1
Harmless

Postby Klaus1 » Sat May 29, 2010 11:07 pm

Yes indeed, sorry, I forgot to add this:

In Macintosh HD/Library/Quicktime/ delete any files relating to DivX (Perian already has them). However it should be noted that Perian is not an internet plugin and will not play DivX files imbedded on a website. For that you will need the DivX Player browser plugin available from http://www.divx.com/divx/mac/

morrissey007
Harmless

Postby morrissey007 » Sun May 30, 2010 7:42 am

Thanks Klaus, yup, I went through my mac and deleted everything divx and then reloaded. Many thanks for replying :smile:

Return to “Perian”