MKV with subtitles

The Perian forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
asoksevil
Harmless

MKV with subtitles

Postby asoksevil » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:37 am

Hi,

I just downloaded a MKV with 2 different audios (Spanish and English) and a subtitles track (Spanish). I can switch audios but I can't turn off the subtitles. I unchecked the "load external subtitles" from Perian (but I think this is just for external subs not included inside the MKV, like .srt) but it's no use. I also installed QT extended preferences, but it still doesn't work (having turned off the subtitles option). On QT, there's no way you can turn off the subtitles since they are "not detected".

Used VLC and it easily turn off the subtitles, but I don't like VLC at all, any tips about how to do it on QuickTime X?

I'm using Snow Leopard (10.6.5)

Thanks!

gbooker
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: MKV with subtitles

Postby gbooker » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:29 pm

asoksevil
Harmless

Re: MKV with subtitles

Postby asoksevil » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:46 pm

Okay, I used it and this is what I got:

gbooker wrote:The preference is for external subtitles (such as srt, idx/sub, etc.). We recommend NicePlayer for controlling the imported subtitles by turning them off. More often than not, enabling one of the included subtitle tracks is the appropriate action, which is why Perian defaults one of them to on. Since Perian is not an application, it's really not appropriate for it to have a UI for enabling/disabling subtitles on a per-file basis.

Does this mean if I wanna watch MKV with subtitles not hardcoded on QuickTime X, I need first to remove that subtitle track and then it will be played fine? Is that the only way?

Return to “Perian”