Green Video in H264 mkv file

The Perian forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
scott.mackenzie
Harmless

Green Video in H264 mkv file

Postby scott.mackenzie » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:05 am

Hi there

I have downloaded this file from vodo.net: Person.of.Interest.2010.720p.x264-VODO.mkv

When I play it using QuickTime Player (X or 7 Pro) & Perian 1.2.1 I get a solid green screen but normal audio.
The file plays fine in VLC.
The file is also fine in Handbrake.

Is this something anyone knows about?

Thanks for your time.
Scott

scott.mackenzie
Harmless

Re: Green Video in H264 mkv file

Postby scott.mackenzie » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:16 am

Further info:

I've downloaded two other matroska files and they play fine in QuickTime Player with Perian.

I notice in the Annotations to the files that the ones I'm having problems with were both created using mkvmerge 4.3.0. The new files that work fine were created with x264.exe and mkvmerge v2.0.2.

I see on the mkvtoolnix FAQ (makers of mkvmerge, see http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/faq.html ) a problem is noted where some tracks don't play in some players due to an incorrect/lack of implementation of a feature called 'header removal compression' which is enabled in mkmverge since v4.1.0.

Could this be the issue?

Thanks again for your time.
Scott

gbooker
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby gbooker » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:19 am

Please try using the search. It's there for a reason: search.php?keywords=mkv+header

scott.mackenzie
Harmless

Postby scott.mackenzie » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:34 pm

Hi there

gbooker wrote:Please try using the search. It's there for a reason: search.php?keywords=mkv+header

Thanks for replying to my post. Sorry to have seemed like I didn't search first. I did but wasn't aware until reading the mkvmerge pages that "headers" or "header removal compression" might be the problem or that other people's audio problems might be related to my video problems.

I've read the posts returned by the search you suggested. Just so I'm clear I'll collect a few things and paraphrase to check I've got it right:

1. The problem is that the current release of Perian does not implement the "header removal compression" feature of the matroska specification.

2. You are aware of this issue and are working to include it in a future release.

3. In the meantime I can work around this problem by downloading an old version of mkvmerge and remuxing the file without header removal compression.

BTW Thanks for your work on Perian and that of your colleagues. I have used it for several years now to simplify the process of watching avi files on my Mac. When I think of what I used to have to do...

Scott

gbooker
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby gbooker » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:44 pm

scott.mackenzie wrote: I did [search] but wasn't aware until reading the mkvmerge pages that "headers" or "header removal compression" might be the problem

That's true of the first post, but in the second you suspected that's the issue.

scott.mackenzie wrote: I'll collect a few things and paraphrase to check I've got it right:

All correct.

chucky23
Harmless

Postby chucky23 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:06 pm

I hope the fine Perian folks can eventually find a workaround for this.

But in the meantime, you can use MKVtools to "fix" the header so Perian can read the video in the file. (MKVtools is shareware, but you can use it in freeware mode to fix files. Paying the shareware fee only enables queuing multiple files.)

http://www.emmgunn.com/mokgvm2dvd/mokgvmhome.html

samthewildone
Harmless

Postby samthewildone » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:06 pm

The only luck I had so far was installing VLC. I'll use that as my replacement until perian can correctly handle .mkv files.

diamondsw
Harmless

Postby diamondsw » Wed May 04, 2011 11:34 pm

I can sadly confirm this is still occurring in Perian 1.2.2 (Mac OS X 10.6.7, 64-bit MacBook Pro Core i7), despite the release notes to the contrary. Using MKVTools to remove the header compression worked as a stopgap to get my content into iDVD. Until that, all I'd get was either solid white or solid green.

I can supply files if that will help in diagnosing the problem.

diamondsw
Harmless

Postby diamondsw » Fri May 06, 2011 10:03 pm

Odd - after many machinations, I can't reproduce this. However, I also can't get the files in question to work in iDVD. They preview fine, but only output black video when burned (which is about as annoying as it gets). Looks like Perian is in the clear.

Mr VacBob
Crema

Postby Mr VacBob » Tue May 17, 2011 4:49 am

So you do get video in QT Player + Perian 1.2.2, but no video in iDVD? Does this file have subtitles?

The green frame makes me wonder if EyeTV is installed. We try to display black, not green, if there's an error. EyeTV installs another component which displays green.

Return to “Perian”