Common Youtube Extensions?

The Perian forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
jare215th
Harmless

Common Youtube Extensions?

Postby jare215th » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:51 pm

I just downloaded Perian, so far I can only grab certain videos. I've noticed Youtube hides the more popular videos extensions. other then .flv and .mp4 what current file extensions are youtube using?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E14kNqMwD6s
this is the dancing black guy getting hit by a ice cream truck, i want to download it, maybe someone can help

gbooker
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: Common Youtube Extensions?

Postby gbooker » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:16 pm

They are predominately flv. The mp4 extension is only used in cases where it is explicitly requested (having an &fmt= in the url).

Meyvn
Harmless

Postby Meyvn » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:52 am

What he said. .flv is the one all videos will pretty much be in, with many also appearing in .mp4, and some appearing in .webm, Google's implementation of the VP8 codec they proposed for the sake of "openness," whatever that means.

JDownloader is a program you may find helpful. It's written in Java, so it's not pretty, but it's incredibly functional, and provides comprehensive support for downloading from many popular streaming video websites. Basically, whenever you copy the URL of a video you want to watch to the clipboard, its corresponding video file (or files, if multiple are available) will appear in the 'Linkgrabber' pane. Select the file you want, right-click and hit "Continue with selected links" to download the video file to your downloads folder.

Keep in mind, though, that your use of the video(s) you download is your own responsibility.

Your taste in video is terrible, by the way.

jare215th
Harmless

Postby jare215th » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:31 pm

haha, it is a stupid video. thanks for ur reply

gbooker
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby gbooker » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:41 pm

Quick comment: My favorite youtube downloader is to use the click-2-flash Safari plugin. Not only does it help block all those annoying flash ads, but when you go to a youtube video, it can change it out with an H.264 video when available and if you right-click, it gives you the option to download it. In Firefox, I use the "Easy Youtube Video Downloader" addon to accomplish the same. I tend to find these more convenient than an external downloader, especially for the embeded videos that I want to save.

chucky23
Harmless

Postby chucky23 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:53 pm

As long as we're going off-topic to discuss ways to download YouTube videos, my method is to use ClipGrab

http://clipgrab.de/download_en.html

If you give ClipGrab the address of a YouTube or Vimeo page, it will give you a full choice of resolutions to download, download silently in the background, (grabbing the MP4 if available), and give you a quick Growl notification when the download is complete.

It's also simple to gin up an AppleScript or Automator action to automate the process from being on a video in your browser to having it downloaded.

Return to “Perian”