Perian leak errors

The Perian forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
dersubtile
Harmless

Perian leak errors

Postby dersubtile » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:39 pm

I'm currently developing a player application for an interactive installation, which uses Perian a lot, as it uses a lot of different movie from various sources. Perian isn't dinamically linked, or something similar, it's only installed on the computer where the player needs to run. I'm not a very experienced programmer, but the whole thing is working fine since last June. Here is the project http://palacz.at/algorithmic-search-for-love/

Now I started improving the code and came across some leaks of mine, but also from Perian. A screenshot of Instruments is attached.

How can I remove prevent these errors? The program is running fine, so it will work without a fix, just would be help sleeping better :)

slj.
Attachments
leak.jpg

gbooker
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: Perian leak errors

Postby gbooker » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:04 pm

Yep, the mallocs inside expansion are real leaks in Perian. Oops. There's really nothing you can do unless you want to rebuild it from source after the fix is committed (I'll do it tonight assuming I remember).

dersubtile
Harmless

Postby dersubtile » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:34 am

i will try to build it, i guess it will take a while for the next version to come out :)

dersubtile
Harmless

Postby dersubtile » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:24 am

Switched back to Perian 1.1.4, still getting leaks, but not that much (could be coinsidence) from FFusionDataAppend

gbooker
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby gbooker » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:32 pm

I'd say ignore the leaks as they are small (on the order of bytes, not even kb).

dersubtile
Harmless

Postby dersubtile » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:25 pm

I would agree, but the program has to run for 7 days without crashing...

gbooker
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby gbooker » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:27 pm

The nature of this leak is a constant amount of memory per playback (length of the file doesn't matter). You can play thousands of files and it'll leak around a megabyte.

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:38 am

This all said, we did have a beta going, and if this had been reported then it would have been nice. We're not going to put out another release of the 1.2.x line just for this.

dersubtile
Harmless

Postby dersubtile » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:29 pm

@gbooker: yes you are right, the program is now running in test since 3 days without any major conflicts. thanks.

Return to “Perian”