Upgraded to Lion and now Perian doesn't work

The Perian forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: Upgraded to Lion and now Perian doesn't work

Postby The_Tick » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:07 pm

DJRumpy wrote:You have to realize that not everyone is going to know what info to collect. A little guidance on your part as to what data you need would go a long way as to what info you need collected.

We asked for samples in this thread starting here:

viewtopic.php?p=130430&sid=210bc0d9594427e38b65e8659bac536b#p130430

DJRumpy
Harmless

Postby DJRumpy » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:31 pm

Does your forum support 'stickies'? It would probably make it easier for folks to find such info it if was always at the top of the forum posts and would be a great general guide to help them collect whatever debugging info you guys need. Perian is a great addon. I think everyone is just a little frustrating and I imagine you are too at this point. If you had stickies, you could post some useful info like Known Issues, Known Fixes, What to collect when submitting bugs, etc.

Anyway, just a suggestion.

For my particular problem (Re: "you need quicktime player 7 to open") when opening MKV files:
For some reason, even with the option to load external subtitles turned off I still have this issue (but I do realize that this MKV has embedded subtitles rather than external as do most of mine).

It opens fine in QT 7 of course. As of right now I am on a clean install of lion with the only 3rd party extension being Perian.

My QuickTime folder has the following:

AC3MovieImport.component
AppleIntermediateCode.component
AppleMPEG2Codec.component
Perian.component

Nothing in ~/Library/QuickTime/

Media Info:
Format : Matroska
File size : 1.84 GiB
Duration : 58mn 24s
Overall bit rate : 4 519 Kbps
Writing application : x264.exe
Writing library : mkv2rls x264-tv version built on 2011. febr. 17

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 8 frames
Muxing mode : Container profile=Unknown@4.1
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration : 58mn 20s
Bit rate : 4 045 Kbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Resolution : 24 bits
Colorimetry : 4:2:0
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.183
Stream size : 1.65 GiB (89%)
Writing library : x264 core 116 r2019 9cc407d
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=8 / deblock=1:-1:-1 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=9 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.15 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-3 / threads=36 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=60 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=18.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Codec ID : A_AC3
Duration : 58mn 24s
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 384 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Stream size : 160 MiB (8%)
Title : English
Language : English

Text
ID : 3
Format : UTF-8
Codec ID : S_TEXT/UTF8
Codec ID/Info : UTF-8 Plain Text
Title : English
Language : English

What's really baking my cookies is that the beta versions of Lion worked fine, but when I did a clean install with the GM release (I didn't import any data but rather just re-installed any apps I needed) it stopped. Reverting to 1.2.2 didn't help. Uninstalling 1.2.3 and dis-associating Perian with MKV's and then re-associating didn't resolve it. At this point I'm not sure what other info you need collected.

Thanks

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:46 pm

That's already known and well documented in viewtopic.php?f=25&t=23504

Did you search or even just scroll down the list of threads before deciding to look at this thread, which is talking about videos not working at all versus subtitles not working? Please do in the future if you did not. If you did I'm not sure how you missed this thread.

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:47 pm

DJRumpy wrote:Does your forum support 'stickies'? It would probably make it easier for folks to find such info it if was always at the top of the forum posts and would be a great general guide to help them collect whatever debugging info you guys need.

In my experience running forums, nobody reads these.

DJRumpy
Harmless

Postby DJRumpy » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:04 am

The thread you posted states that disabling the subtitles option fixes the issue for some. Others state that QTX won't play any content with subtitles, which obviously is not true as I used it for such and still do without issue. Only when using formats that aren't native to QTX does it have this problem and for me only after upgrading to 1.2.3. It also doesn't explain why it worked during the betas but not with the GM seed of Lion.

In my case, the video doesn't work at all unless you open it in Quicktime X. Mine is not a 'subtitle not working' issue, mine is a "Perian not working" issue since I have to fall back to QT7 to make it work at all. Given your attitude, I've pretty much run out of patience with Perian in any case.

Good luck.

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:07 am

Given my attitude? You're the one who is wasting time here posting in the wrong thread and lecturing me on how to handle things. I'm glad your patience has run out, I've had multiple people contact me saying to shut the forums down because of attitudes like yours and how people like you are treating us. I honestly can't say I don't disagree. Threads like this with 3+ pages and NO samples really do not do us very much good at all.

If you decide to actually be productive, please post in the right thread. As it is this wasn't very helpful except for the one lengthy post where you STILL did not provide samples. I told you where the right thread is, your post doesn't apply to this thread. You disagreed but continued to post into THIS thread, rather than making one for YOUR specific problem which isn't the problem being discussed HERE. You are wasting our time.

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:18 am

DJRumpy wrote:The thread you posted states that disabling the subtitles option fixes the issue for some. Others state that QTX won't play any content with subtitles, which obviously is not true as I used it for such and still do without issue. Only when using formats that aren't native to QTX does it have this problem and for me only after upgrading to 1.2.3. It also doesn't explain why it worked during the betas but not with the GM seed of Lion.

In my case, the video doesn't work at all unless you open it in Quicktime X. Mine is not a 'subtitle not working' issue, mine is a "Perian not working" issue since I have to fall back to QT7 to make it work at all. Given your attitude, I've pretty much run out of patience with Perian in any case.

Good luck.

In fact, I told you 3 days ago to make a new thread. Now you are in this mess. And you wonder why I'm a bit irate with you.

DJRumpy
Harmless

Postby DJRumpy » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:43 am

I can make a new thread, and creating a sample is easy enough. Where do I upload it?

<edit> Nevermind, found the tab

charles1rst
Harmless

Postby charles1rst » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:03 am

I have a MacBook Pro and an iMac 27" both brand new and upgraded to LION
The MacBook is still on 1.2.2 and QTX is working fine as with SnowLeo
The iMac was on Perian 1.2.3 due to automatic upgrade. QTX was no more working.
I have downloaded Perian 1.2.2 and reinstalled it on the iMac and it is working properly. :grin:
get Perian 1.2.2 here http://www.softonic.fr/s/perian-1.2.2:mac

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:52 pm

I'm locking this thread, it hasn't been very useful.

We need samples, and specific threads on specific issues. If you have a problem, open a thread AFTER searching for something similar and looking at the list of threads on the main page here.

A big thread where everyone says "I have a problem" but doesn't say what the problem is WITH a sample is not beneficial.

Return to “Perian”