Jailbroken Phones

An iPhone client for Growl available on the App Store.
User avatar
zac
Cocoaforge Admin
Posts: 1518
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:19 pm
Contact:

Re: Jailbroken Phones

Postby zac » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:47 pm

rbyster wrote:Perhaps you can elaborate on how it works? How does Prowl know which unit to send the pushed message to? There is some sort of identification number? What if certain units (because they are jailbroken) are sharing the same identification number? What would happen then? I do not know how the Apple Push Service really works, but I guess it somehow needs an unique identifier? And how do you obtain this identifier? Perhaps a check to see if this identifier is already used, registrated.

Again, feel free to email me in order to discuss further measures.


Apple provides a device ID (using API methods) which Prowl then sends to the server. I do not know how it's generated, but it's unique for the device and application.

rbyster
Harmless
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:34 pm

Re: Jailbroken Phones

Postby rbyster » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:25 pm

I think that is the problem. I guess we will have to wait for Dev Team or any other solution to come about with the hacktivated devices.

Thank you for elaborating.

jam
Harmless
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:07 pm

Re: Jailbroken Phones

Postby jam » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:29 pm

I was having trouble with my 2G hacktivated iPhone. Push Notifications would stop working after my phone had been in sleep mode for about 15mins and eventually the Prowl website would report that I had no registered devices. When I ran Prowl on my iPhone, it'd register with the Prowl server and I'd have Push Notifications for a little while again. This was using the shared push certs that everyone else is using.

On Saturday, I installed a cert that I know to be unique to my iPhone. Since then, Prowl has been working perfectly. I've received all my Push Notifications and my device is still registered with the server.

If you're using a hacktivated iPhone with certs that you downloaded from the internet (this includes the fix that can be installed from Cydia), I don't think it's ever going to work properly and I don't think there's anything that Zac can do about that. I doubt Apple intended it to work with multiple iPhones using the same cert.

Lots of users with shared certs report that they're getting Push Notifications for their IM apps from people they don't know. They receive a Push Notification with a message from someone they don't recognise and when they open the app to respond, the message doesn't exist. So it seems that if you're using shared certs, some of your Push Notifications are going to other people's iPhones. This is probably why Prowl is reporting you have no registered devices. Your Push Notification is getting delivered to an iPhone without Prowl installed, so the Prowl server thinks you've uninstalled Prowl and your device gets removed.

za0uk
Harmless
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: Jailbroken Phones

Postby za0uk » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:43 pm

Post removed - now redundant
Last edited by za0uk on Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
zac
Cocoaforge Admin
Posts: 1518
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:19 pm
Contact:

Re: Jailbroken Phones

Postby zac » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:43 pm

jam wrote:I was having trouble with my 2G hacktivated iPhone. Push Notifications would stop working after my phone had been in sleep mode for about 15mins and eventually the Prowl website would report that I had no registered devices. When I ran Prowl on my iPhone, it'd register with the Prowl server and I'd have Push Notifications for a little while again. This was using the shared push certs that everyone else is using.

On Saturday, I installed a cert that I know to be unique to my iPhone. Since then, Prowl has been working perfectly. I've received all my Push Notifications and my device is still registered with the server.

If you're using a hacktivated iPhone with certs that you downloaded from the internet (this includes the fix that can be installed from Cydia), I don't think it's ever going to work properly and I don't think there's anything that Zac can do about that. I doubt Apple intended it to work with multiple iPhones using the same cert.

Lots of users with shared certs report that they're getting Push Notifications for their IM apps from people they don't know. They receive a Push Notification with a message from someone they don't recognise and when they open the app to respond, the message doesn't exist. So it seems that if you're using shared certs, some of your Push Notifications are going to other people's iPhones. This is probably why Prowl is reporting you have no registered devices. Your Push Notification is getting delivered to an iPhone without Prowl installed, so the Prowl server thinks you've uninstalled Prowl and your device gets removed.


This sounds exactly like what is happening. It's possible other services—where it continues to work indefinitely—aren't polling the feedback service (as they are required to!) and are not dropping the devices.

kameko
Harmless
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:41 am

Re: Jailbroken Phones

Postby kameko » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:14 pm

jam wrote:...

So it seems that if you're using shared certs, some of your Push Notifications are going to other people's iPhones. This is probably why Prowl is reporting you have no registered devices. Your Push Notification is getting delivered to an iPhone without Prowl installed, so the Prowl server thinks you've uninstalled Prowl and your device gets removed.


interesting. although my phone is definitely officially activated (got the phone from rogers and activated through rogers). how would i have lost my own unique cert then? how do i gain it back?

and yes i am also using bitesms. i will try the fix earlier in this thread when i have access to my phone.

EDIT: alright so i disabled the bitesms mobilesubstrate addon, did not boot into safe mode and opened up prowl. checked the website and my device gets registered! now to see if it *stays* registered...crossing fingers.

jam
Harmless
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:07 pm

Re: Jailbroken Phones

Postby jam » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:34 pm

I think there's a couple of different problems with jailbroken phones. The Mobile Substrate / BiteSMS problem where it won't register. And the shared cert problem where push notifications are intermittent and your phone won't stay registered.

You seem to have the first problem fixed. Guess you'll find out soon enough if you're having the second problem too.

Did you install any of the dev team push fixes? This would definitely overwrite your own certs and cause the problem where you stop getting push notifications after a while and your device won't stay registered. Not sure why that would happen if you're officially activated with Rogers unless you tried one of the dev team push fixes.

kameko
Harmless
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:41 am

Re: Jailbroken Phones

Postby kameko » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:53 pm

jam wrote:I think there's a couple of different problems with jailbroken phones. The Mobile Substrate / BiteSMS problem where it won't register. And the shared cert problem where push notifications are intermittent and your phone won't stay registered.

You seem to have the first problem fixed. Guess you'll find out soon enough if you're having the second problem too.

Did you install any of the dev team push fixes? This would definitely overwrite your own certs and cause the problem where you stop getting push notifications after a while and your device won't stay registered. Not sure why that would happen if you're officially activated with Rogers unless you tried one of the dev team push fixes.


so far, with bitesms mobilesubstrate plugin disabled, this is the absolute longest i've ever stayed registered! i haven't had to re-register since. i'm going to try this bitesms hack:
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=20330&start=0#p117957

to see if i can get both working at the same time (at the expense of a few features in bitesms not working as outlined in that post.)

afaik all push notifications have made it so far! hmm.

also, i did try one of the dev team push fixes but this was only AFTER i was having the "not staying registered" problem. i have since uninstalled the 'fix' but i have no idea if it restored my original cert or not? either way i still havent been 'unregistered' as of yesterday morning which is a huge boost considering i could only stay registered for an hour or two at most before.

philkry
Harmless
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:13 am

Re: Jailbroken Phones

Postby philkry » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:48 am

interesting thread!

this is what i've found out so far:

- my iphone is activated via itunes
- jailbroken
- i'm not using the 'pushfix'
- i'm using bitesms

I turned off the mobilesubstrate addon for bitesms via sbsettings and launched prowl. my device has successfully registered with the prowl server.
After that I turned on the mobilesubstrate addon again. The device stays registred all the time.

Now the wired thing:
The first 1-2 pushes are working fine. After that I do not get a popup on my iphone anymore.
When I start prowl and close it right away, I can receive 1 or 2 pushes again. This works in 7 out of 10 times...

philkry
Harmless
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:13 am

Re: Jailbroken Phones

Postby philkry » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:50 pm

ok its working now!!

here is how i did it:

-reset iphone via itunes
-configured it as new device (i did not restore a backup of my iphone via itunes)
-applied jailbreak
-installed sbsettings & bitesms via cydia
-disabled mobilesubstrate addon for bitesms via sbsettings
-launched prowl
-reenabled mubilesubstrate addon

until now, all pushes have been delivered to my iphone successfully. also my device stays registred all the time.

i don't know wether all these steps are neccessary or not, but it works for me this way.

hope that helps...


regards

kameko
Harmless
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:41 am

Re: Jailbroken Phones

Postby kameko » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:56 pm

kameko wrote:so far, with bitesms mobilesubstrate plugin disabled, this is the absolute longest i've ever stayed registered! i haven't had to re-register since. i'm going to try this bitesms hack:
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=20330&start=0#p117957

to see if i can get both working at the same time (at the expense of a few features in bitesms not working as outlined in that post.)

afaik all push notifications have made it so far! hmm.

also, i did try one of the dev team push fixes but this was only AFTER i was having the "not staying registered" problem. i have since uninstalled the 'fix' but i have no idea if it restored my original cert or not? either way i still havent been 'unregistered' as of yesterday morning which is a huge boost considering i could only stay registered for an hour or two at most before.


just wanted to return and add: i have also re-enabled the bitesms plugin a while ago. ever since i wrote that last post, i have gotten every single push notification and my device has not mysteriously dissappeared from the prowl account page even once so far.

it appears as though as long as you DISABLE the bitesms mobilesubstrate plugin, run prowl just once, and then re-enable the bitesms plugin, then everything should be fine.

philkry
Harmless
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:13 am

Re: Jailbroken Phones

Postby philkry » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:52 am

do you still have the pushfix installed?

i still think using the certificates delivered with the pushfix are also part of the problem...

kameko
Harmless
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:41 am

Re: Jailbroken Phones

Postby kameko » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:27 pm

philkry wrote:do you still have the pushfix installed?

i still think using the certificates delivered with the pushfix are also part of the problem...


no i have no pushfixs installed now.

jmtorres
Harmless
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:50 pm

Re: Jailbroken Phones

Postby jmtorres » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:00 pm

I'm running 3.0 Jailbroken with PwnageTool as a new phone and activated with iTunes. I have not applied any "pushfix's". I receive notifications from other apps, such as Beejive. I have never installed BiteSMS, however, I do use iRealSMS.

My prowl account always shows "no devices". The only way I can get any notifications is opening the Prowl app and manually refreshing.

I have tried rebooting, respringing, reinstalling Prowl, going on/off airplane mode, and going on/off wifi.

Are there any fixes I'm missing?

User avatar
zac
Cocoaforge Admin
Posts: 1518
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:19 pm
Contact:

Re: Jailbroken Phones

Postby zac » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:10 am

If you're still experiencing this issue now with 1.1.5, please contact me directly; I'd like to work it out, but I'm not interested in jailbreaking. I'll provide an Ad-Hoc build with an insane amount of logging; so I need a UDID also.

cf125
Harmless
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:34 pm

Re: Jailbroken Phones

Postby cf125 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:52 pm

jmtorres wrote:I'm running 3.0 Jailbroken with PwnageTool as a new phone and activated with iTunes. I have not applied any "pushfix's". I receive notifications from other apps, such as Beejive. I have never installed BiteSMS, however, I do use iRealSMS.

My prowl account always shows "no devices". The only way I can get any notifications is opening the Prowl app and manually refreshing.

I have tried rebooting, respringing, reinstalling Prowl, going on/off airplane mode, and going on/off wifi.

Are there any fixes I'm missing?



i got same problem i email zac but still no reply yet :(

User avatar
zac
Cocoaforge Admin
Posts: 1518
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:19 pm
Contact:

Re: Jailbroken Phones

Postby zac » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:00 pm

I don't have any pending emails open, are you sure you emailed the support address?

DerGraf13
Harmless
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:12 pm

Re: Jailbroken Phones

Postby DerGraf13 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:22 pm

My iphone (2G) was only jailbroken once. When I unlocked it. Until then I always used the standard update via itunes. So I don't know if that counts as classic jailbroken?

But I have the same issue, described above. Everytime my iPhone goes into Sleep Modus it won't alert me with push notifications. (also at this moment the sttings page says, there is NO device registered. I do get them, when i open the Prowl app. (sometimes it even shows me the badges of "missed" alerts)

Do I now have to jailbreak my iphone again, to install some app I never use and the re-register my device? If I have to, I will do it, but just wanna know beforehand, if that is the actual issue.

Thanks

User avatar
zac
Cocoaforge Admin
Posts: 1518
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:19 pm
Contact:

Re: Jailbroken Phones

Postby zac » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:52 pm

No, jailbroken-ness seems unrelated to your problem. Do push notifications work while it's awake?

DerGraf13
Harmless
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:12 pm

Re: Jailbroken Phones

Postby DerGraf13 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:21 pm

Yes it works without any problems, when it's awake.


Return to “Prowl”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users