Sound changes won't stay.

An iPhone client for Growl available on the App Store.
ahhyeah
Harmless

Sound changes won't stay.

Postby ahhyeah » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:37 pm

I can change my sound effect in the iPhone Settings app. Then when I open Prowl on the iPhone and send a test preview, I get the sound I chose. The problem is when I close the prowl app, the sounds go back to the default. I've restarted my iPhone and that doesn't help...

Gritzens
Harmless

Re: Sound changes won't stay.

Postby Gritzens » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:03 pm

i have the same problem, thats really annoying...

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:19 pm

Zoidberg won't work for Push, since it wasn't intended to be included and as such the Push sends don't support it. It will be removed in the next release, please choose a different style.

ahhyeah
Harmless

Postby ahhyeah » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:48 pm

Makes sense. So the Push server has to support the name/file to tell what sound to make. It's not controlled from the iPhone except that in the settings it sends a message to the push server what sound to send. And then you have to open the prowl app to send that info from the settings to the push server. Right? This would explain why custom sounds I'm adding via SSH are working when the prowl app is open but not when closed. The push server doesn't have those sounds as options.

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:49 pm

Indeed. While you could set the preference, the server rejects invalid input names for files. The iPhone application does no such check because it assumes you aren't modifying its settings behind its back. ;)

ahhyeah
Harmless

Postby ahhyeah » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:53 pm

Correct, although replacing the original file for that sound with the same name should work... I'll try.

ahhyeah
Harmless

Postby ahhyeah » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:17 pm

So far, it doesn't work to change the file and keep the filename :(

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:23 pm

You need to provide the audio files in a certain format for push notifications.

http://developer.apple.com/iphone/libra ... index.html

brennj4
Harmless

Postby brennj4 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:46 pm

Hey guys.. Where does prowl keep the sounds? I have access to the file system and would like to insert custom sounds. I figure if I just overwrite one of the system sounds with my own, it should work? I just cant seem to find out where its keeping the files.

Also, kinda related note. I have multiple things notifying me of things through prowl. Is there any way to differentiate what sound is played by event? The only one I really care to be different is the google voice SMS notification. I see a way to differentiate the sound by priority but nothing else. Maybe there is a way to have google voice come in as a high priority or something. Any ideas are welcome and appreciated.

Jon

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:16 pm

The sound files are in the application bundle. I have no idea where this is on the device.

Return to “Prowl”