what are people doing with custom notifications?

An iPhone client for Growl available on the App Store.
bobpatterson
Harmless

what are people doing with custom notifications?

Postby bobpatterson » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:41 pm

just wondering what people are doing with custom notifications with prowl.

I am using this with nagios (our monitoring software, I am a systems engineer and this is very nice for notifications instead of sms)

~bob

joule
Harmless

Re: what are people doing with custom notifications?

Postby joule » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:24 pm

I have asterisks both at home and at the office. I usually have my iPhone with me at all times, but not my phone, so I send caller id from asterisk at home to my iphone using a custom script, and at the office using growl. This has the added benefit that I don't receive notifications when I am at my desk. Also, using azexec, I receive notifications when Vuze finished downloading a torrent. (I have vuze on a headless machine, so it is VERY useful).

bobpatterson
Harmless

Postby bobpatterson » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:30 pm

yeah im going to get torrents working tonight on my home server (i run a fedora machine as my main server)

I was also going to set up alerts on it for various systems issues so I can get updates instead of having to read my email or log onto the machine

balu
Harmless

Postby balu » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:01 pm

pushing twitter direkt messages and some jabber requests

Interstink
Harmless

Postby Interstink » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:03 am

Currently using Prowl to...
Push Voicemail Notifications from our PBX (Used to use email to SMS).
From our Solarwinds Network Monitor we wrote a script for growl, now prowling/pushing all NOC notifications.
IRC Channel Direct msg.
IM - initial chat requests from our Support IM Client/Server.
Package Deliveries.
Network Operations Center Room Temperature when above a set threshold.
Our Twiiter account for dir. msg.

More coming im sure... With all this you would think I would get a lot of Push notifications - I only get a handful a day (5 - 10 daily).

Gritzens
Harmless

Postby Gritzens » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:18 pm

bobpatterson wrote:just wondering what people are doing with custom notifications with prowl.

I am using this with nagios (our monitoring software, I am a systems engineer and this is very nice for notifications instead of sms)

~bob

Hi,

how did you integrate prowl into your nagios installation? Via misccommands.cfg and a contact or otherwise?

Of you did it via the misccommands.cfg, how does your command line look? Because I tried that too and ran into some problems which I couldn't iron out yet..

Greetz,
Gritzens

stupod
Harmless

Postby stupod » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:09 pm

Mine's pretty boring...

I'm just using it for Adium > Message received (Initial) (http://forums.cocoaforge.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=20340) and completed Transmission files, but I'd like to use it for other things. I'm hoping someone might post something of interest here.

bobpatterson
Harmless

Postby bobpatterson » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:38 pm

Gritzens wrote:
bobpatterson wrote:just wondering what people are doing with custom notifications with prowl.

~bob

Hi,

how did you integrate prowl into your nagios installation? Via misccommands.cfg and a contact or otherwise?

Of you did it via the misccommands.cfg, how does your command line look? Because I tried that too and ran into some problems which I couldn't iron out yet..

Greetz,
Gritzens

ok so i used this in command.cfg

Code: Select all

define command{
   command_name   notify-service-by-prowl
   command_line    /usr/local/nagios/prowl.pl -username xxxxxx -password=xxxxxxxxx -application=nagios -event='$HOSTNAME$' -notification='$SERVICEDESC$ - $SERVICEOUTPUT$'
   }
define command{
   command_name   notify-host-by-prowl
   command_line    /usr/local/nagios/prowl.pl -username xxxxx -password=xxxxxxx -application=nagios -event='$HOSTNAME$' -notification='$HOSTSTATE$ - $HOSTOUTPUT$'
   }

and this in contacts.cfg

define contact{
        contact_name                    prowl
        alias                           prowl
        use                             generic-contact
   service_notification_period   oncall
   host_notification_period   oncall
        service_notification_options    u,c,s
        host_notification_options       d,u,s
          service_notification_commands   notify-service-by-prowl
   host_notification_commands     notify-host-by-prowl
}

i used the perl post script

im currently working to integrate it with NANS. A guy at my company wrote NANS and i actually have fixed some stuff for version 3 of nagios, so i will have to release my updates at some point

Gritzens
Harmless

Postby Gritzens » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:20 pm

Thanks very much, will try this way on monday :)

I had the problem that tough I got a notification, It was always the same, regardless of which host or service was reporting a critical...don't know exactly why...

markoneil
Harmless

Postby markoneil » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:20 pm

I am a system admin for a school district and like to know the moment there is a server or a network outage.

Because the default setup of prowl and growl seem to require that you be logged in as a console user, this does me no good on my mac servers unless I am logged into them as an administrator, and for security reasons i do not like to leave unattended servers logged in.

I was able to figure out how to send a notification to the prowl servers without even using growl or the prowl plugin, instead i use curl and a specially crafted url to send a notification to the prowl client on my iphone.

#!/bin/bash
SERVER1=142.35.29.253
GATEWAY1=142.35.28.1
ping -c 1 $SERVER1 &>/dev/null
if [ $? -ne 0 ] ; then
curl -k -s "https://prowl.weks.net/publicapi/add?apikey=<YOUR API KEY HERE>&application=Server%20Connectivity%20Failure&event=&description=server1&priority=%d"
fi
sleep 10
ping -c 1 $GATEWAY1 &>/dev/null
if [ $? -ne 0 ] ; then
curl -k -s "https://prowl.weks.net/publicapi/add?apikey=<YOUR API KEY HERE>&application=Network%20Connectivity%20Failure&event=&description=gateway1&priority=%d"
fi

This little script has about a dozen servers and networks it checks and runs from my office on a computer with a high uptime and runs about every 10 minutes. I am now able to get a push notification whenever there is a network or server outage.

This is exciting and i hope to see some more innovative uses for it.

Gritzens
Harmless

Postby Gritzens » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:50 pm

So, my newest use for prowl is to push me sms which I receive on another mobile phone to my iphone. I just get SMS on that second phone, so now, i don't have to carry around 2 phones anymore:)

This is the most awesome thing ever...

jaseone
Harmless

Postby jaseone » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:04 am

I am using the Prowl PHP class along with SimplePie to "push" (not true push as the cron job still is a pull) updates to RSS feeds, currently just my Facebook notifications feed but am looking at adding some weather and sports scores as well.

prowluser8422
Harmless

Postby prowluser8422 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:20 am

~bob

I'm also doing Nagios notifications. Using WebService::Prowl made it a snap to drop into my companies custom notification program.

As soon as I saw there was an API to send PUSH notifications programatically I instantly added it to our Nagios system. I'm surprised Apple didn't make some application that you could send generic notifications to this way. I'm really liking this app!!!

-T

Thickey
Harmless

Postby Thickey » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:53 am

Very boring, When we get a sale on our e-commerce website I get a notification of the sale, the value etc.
Also handling torrents etc.

acrollet
Harmless

Postby acrollet » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:20 pm

I'm using this little one-liner in my crontab to give me severe weather alerts. (pulling from weather.gov's rss)

*/30 * * * * mv /tmp/exweath_new.txt /tmp/exweath_old.txt; curl -s http://www.weather.gov/alerts-beta/wwaatmget.php?x=TXZ103|grep '<summary>'|awk -F'\.\.\.' '{print $2}' > /tmp/exweath_new.txt; if ! diff /tmp/exweath_new.txt /tmp/exweath_old.txt ; then /home/acrollet/bin/prowl.pl -apikeyfile=/home/acrollet/.prowlapikey -application='Denton County' -notification="`cat /tmp/exweath_new.txt`" -priority=1 -event='severe weather'; fi

Looks like this:

iNik
Harmless

Postby iNik » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:26 am

I've been like a kid in a candy shop since Prowl came out. Here's my current bag o' tricks that I'm still using more than a few days later...

For the most part, I have various scripts and applications on my home server Mac, including...

Successful/unsuccessful Mozy backup

Successful client machine backups (just a folder watching script)

New file downloads (from sync folders, torrents, TiVo, and various other scheduled or otherwise automated sources -- some notifications provided by scripts, others by the application itself, e.g. Transmission)

System reboots (sometimes happens automatically or due to power outages)

Missing network devices (a script that pings appropriate IPs)

Alert on missing/non-responsive servers (a combination of telnet, curl and ping tests to check web/email servers under my purview)

Then I have a computer that picks up various events based on a private Twitter feed. (Using Griffin Technology's Proxi to monitor the Twitter account in question) It Prowls the responses back to my phone, so that I can ensure remote commands are properly executed.

And, lastly, OmniFocus pushes overdue task notifications to me. Still working on a script to send regular reminders in addition to the built in Growl notification, in case I have a task that's STILL overdue.

punkassjim
Harmless

Postby punkassjim » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:39 pm

iNik wrote: And, lastly, OmniFocus pushes overdue task notifications to me. Still working on a script to send regular reminders in addition to the built in Growl notification, in case I have a task that's STILL overdue.

Ha! That's excellent. Would you be likely to share that script with the community? Man oh man, would I love it if I could get "dude, seriously, this is still overdue" reminders via Prowl. :mrgreen:

bobpatterson
Harmless

Postby bobpatterson » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:11 pm

I added weather updates at certain times from the mobile site of weather.gov because of less html tags

this was just a quick hack together... I am going to make it nicer by parsing out the tags and line breaks and will post that when I do

/etc/cron.d/prowl

0 9,12,15,18,21 * * * root /home/rpatters/prowl_weather_forcast > /dev/null 2>&1

prowl_weather_forcast

#!/bin/bash                                                                                                                                                                       

rm -f /tmp/weather_forcast

curl -s "http://mobile.weather.gov/port_mp_ns.php?select=1&CityName=New%20York&site=OKX&State=NY&warnzone=NYZ072"|grep '<b>'|grep -v NWS|sed 's/<br>//g'|sed 's/<b>//g'|sed 's/<\/b>//g'|sed 's/<\/br>//g'|sed 's/<hr>//g' >> /tmp/weather_forcast

/tmp/prowl.pl -apikeyfile=/tmp/apikey -event=forcast -notification="`cat /tmp/weather_forcast`" -priority=2

photo(21).jpg
adding screenshot
photo(21).jpg (83.39 KiB) Viewed 34744 times
Last edited by bobpatterson on Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Bailey
Harmless

Postby Bailey » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:15 pm

I'm using a little Ruby script along with the Twitter streaming API to push mentions to my phone. I don't get that many, otherwise it'd be annoying. :)

I just need to make the script a little more robust for the ups and downs of the source API, which when it works is close to instantaneous.

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:33 pm

Twitter streaming API is still in alpha, right? That's a pretty cool idea, though: basically real push Twitter.

Return to “Prowl”