what are people doing with custom notifications?

An iPhone client for Growl available on the App Store.
Bailey
Harmless

Re: what are people doing with custom notifications?

Postby Bailey » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:09 pm

It is still in Alpha, yes. My code currently doesn't attempt to reconnect, it just terminates, so I'm using a cron job to re-run it if it's not there. 24 hours now, and no re-connections needed. A small data set, but promising so far.

Since I don't get too many mentions, perhaps that's why it's been more stable. Still, it is genuinely push Twitter. If I mention myself via a desktop client, I get the notification on my phone in less than 3-4 seconds usually. It's really quite slick.

I also knocked up a a quick-and-dirty Wordpress plugin to notify me when I have comments to moderate on my blog. That was *really* easy.

I have to say Zac, Prowl really is outstanding!

parlar
Harmless

Postby parlar » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:35 pm

I've got three separate programs going using Prowl.

The first (emailnotify.py) logs into GTalk as a Jabber client, and pushes Gmail notifications to me. I noticed someone else on the forum has done this with IMAP instead of Jabber, which would probably be a better idea. Gmail does push notifications to Jabber clients, but only for messages in the inbox. If you want to check messages that are sent straight to labels, you have to poll. So I have my program read in a list of labels I want to check, and then every 20 seconds it asks Google if there are new emails.

Second program is called "Monitor Disconnects". It's another Jabber bot. This is on a separate GTalk account, and it simply watches and makes sure my primary account doesn't get logged out. I do this so I can know when BeeJive disconnects me from their servers (either because the 24 hours are up, or because sometimes they seem to just randomly boot me).

Third program is an RSS app, built on rss2email. I just pulled out the email stuff and replaced with Prowl. This is a cronjob, checks every 20 minutes. Sends me the RSS updates, including a link to the item, so I can just click it in Prowl and go straight there.

All of this is done with a modified version of prowlpy (http://github.com/jacobb/prowlpy/tree/master) I found that the author's version doesn't handle unicode properly. That's not really my expert domain, but I think my fixes are correct (at least, they work for me).

I'll try to get all this stuff posted to github. Unfortunately it all has to be GPL (I prefer BSD) do to the awesome libraries I'm using, but such is life.

Zac, AWESOME work with Prowl, it has done an incredible job increasing the usefulness of my iPhone.

bobpatterson
Harmless

Postby bobpatterson » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:43 pm

parlar wrote:I've got three separate programs going using Prowl.

The first (emailnotify.py) logs into GTalk as a Jabber client, and pushes Gmail notifications to me. I noticed someone else on the forum has done this with IMAP instead of Jabber, which would probably be a better idea. Gmail does push notifications to Jabber clients, but only for messages in the inbox. If you want to check messages that are sent straight to labels, you have to poll. So I have my program read in a list of labels I want to check, and then every 20 seconds it asks Google if there are new emails.

Second program is called "Monitor Disconnects". It's another Jabber bot. This is on a separate GTalk account, and it simply watches and makes sure my primary account doesn't get logged out. I do this so I can know when BeeJive disconnects me from their servers (either because the 24 hours are up, or because sometimes they seem to just randomly boot me).

Would you mind posting your 2 jabber scripts.... I would like a chance to look at them and use them

Or if you wouldnt mind emailing them to me

parlar
Harmless

Postby parlar » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:17 pm

bobpatterson wrote:Would you mind posting your 2 jabber scripts.... I would like a chance to look at them and use them

Or if you wouldnt mind emailing them to me

I've modified the version of prowlpy that Zachary lists on the API page. Mine can be found here: http://github.com/parlarjb/prowlpy/tree/master Basically, I *think* I fixed it to work properly with unicode. Works for me. Not sure if this is safe, encodings and http are outside my usual problem domain.

The bots themselves (and supporting code) can be found at http://github.com/parlarjb/prowl-jabberbots/tree/master Note that all of this requires xmpppy, the Python XMPP library.

The bots require various text files to be present (containing usernames, passwords, api keys, etc), but should be fairly self-explanatory.

Excuse the somewhat messy code, I wasn't expecting to make this public just yet, but I don't know how much time I'll have to really clean it up.

And one warning: As I mentioned in my original post, the emailnotify program polls Google every 20 seconds. So far, that's been fine, but I don't know if Google will get angry about it over the long term.

zradman
Harmless

Postby zradman » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:24 pm

Has anyone had any luck with a script that could notify you if someone purchased one of your apps on the App Store?

amywenger
Harmless

Postby amywenger » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:33 am

[quote="acrollet"]I'm using this little one-liner in my crontab to give me severe weather alerts. (pulling from weather.gov's rss)

Code: Select all

*/30 * * * * mv /tmp/exweath_new.txt /tmp/exweath_old.txt; curl -s http://www.weather.gov/alerts-beta/wwaatmget.php?x=TXZ103|grep '<summary>'|awk -F'\.\.\.' '{print $2}' > /tmp/exweath_new.txt; if ! diff /tmp/exweath_new.txt /tmp/exweath_old.txt ; then /home/acrollet/bin/prowl.pl -apikeyfile=/home/acrollet/.prowlapikey -application='Denton County' -notification="`cat /tmp/exweath_new.txt`" -priority=1 -event='severe weather'; fi

Does anyone know if it is possible to make this into launchd and what that would look like?

rrossorr
Harmless

Postby rrossorr » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:20 am

There is no benefit by running this from launchd vs cron .. but if you want this in launchd, your best bet is to download lingon from http://tuppis.com/lingon/ and fill in the blanks

mercaor
Harmless

Postby mercaor » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:10 pm

Checking email (once a minute) and prowling sender/subject to my iPhone.

AlphonseElric
Harmless

Postby AlphonseElric » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:00 pm

thanks to the heavy lifting done by James Sentman, I'm using Prowl via AppleScript via XTension to alert me when one of the windows or doors in my apartment are open.

full documentation is here:
http://www.machomeautomation.com/doku.p ... ials/prowl

Fr3d
Harmless

Postby Fr3d » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:59 pm

bobpatterson wrote:I am using this with nagios (our monitoring software, I am a systems engineer and this is very nice for notifications instead of sms)

I'm doing the same. The ability to do this was actually my reason for buying Prowl :bitchin:

rsu
Harmless

Postby rsu » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:06 am

I wrote a script on my server, it poll weather data from http://www.metservice.co.nz and send me weather forecast.

I set it to send me forecast twice a day, once at 8:30pm for next day's weather, and at 7:30am for forecast of the day.

Many thanks Zac, for the great iphone app.

BTW, any one in NZ who wants pushed weather forecast from metservice, just create an API key in your prowl account and send me the key (via forum PM), I will set it up for you :)

IMG_0026.jpg
IMG_0026.jpg (55.22 KiB) Viewed 20576 times

SkateCreek
Harmless

Postby SkateCreek » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:17 am

I have a Ham Radio license (geek, I know) I have a script that tells me 30 minutes ahead of time
where the ISS-International Space Station is, when it will be within radio reach, Azitimuth & Elevation,
etc., This gives me 30 minutes to get my radio gear ready, antenna's pointed, and ready to go.

I have been able to talk to several of the Astro/cosmo- nauts over the past few years, thanks to growl...
and now I am sporting prowl!

I also have a script that watches my Fedora 3 box, I use that box for linking w/VoIP to stations all around the world.
The script I use here tells me everytime my repeater radio receives or transmits, any VoIP info is also sent to my iPhone.
(I don't hear actual transmissions, but know who is talking to whom and the status of the radio's)

My daily activities with Growl/Prowl allow me to track the ISS and monitor critical radio operations 24/7.

egordin
Harmless

Postby egordin » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:01 pm

I am using Prowl with SMARTReporter to notify me of any impending disk failures. SMARTReporter doesn't have growl support built-in, but I wrote a little AppleScript app you can set SMARTReporter to run which will notify Growl (and thus Prowl).

fubaya
Harmless

Postby fubaya » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:48 am

I just got Prowl last night and I forsee a lot of use. Using my home Linux PC I've set up scripts and cronjobs to get "push gmail" with the IMAP script found on this forum, send a notification if my home PC IP address changes (which happens sometimes with the cable company), and download a weather forecast from a local news station to be sent at 8am every morning.

The coolest so far is getting notifications that warn me if rain is detected within X miles of a set location using my own ugly script with this method. It basically draws a box around a location and warns you if any green shows up on the radar within that box.

antifuchs
Harmless

Postby antifuchs » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:07 pm

Bailey wrote:I'm using a little Ruby script along with the Twitter streaming API to push mentions to my phone. I don't get that many, otherwise it'd be annoying. :)

That is pretty slick! Do you get direct messages via the streaming API as well? Also, their docs mention that only replies, not general mentions, are published to the /filter service... Are you seeing them?

iaian7
Harmless

Postby iaian7 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:13 am

Prowl has made it's way into quite a bit of my daily routine, and I'm really loving it! Very nice platform for push notifications, and ignoring the 4 hours I spent trying to get SSLeay to work, pretty easy. I'm currently using...

- Preyfetcher.com for twitter updates (abandoned Tweetie+Growl due to major bugs on startup and computer-always-on limitations).

- Lightwave 3D with db&w tools installed to alert Growl (and thusly Prowl notifications) on render complete.

- After Effects with a render script I customised (with help from another forum posting), directly interfacing with prowl.pl, growlnotify, or a simple web request. Not quite as seamless as Lightwave, but render completes get pushed straight to my phone!

- and finally... I wrote my own dashboard widget, Prowler, so I could quickly send links, phone numbers, etc. to my iPhone without having to resort to the whole emailing-myself thing. :D

blaktornado
Harmless

Postby blaktornado » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:09 pm

iaian7 wrote:- and finally... I wrote my own dashboard widget, Prowler, so I could quickly send links, phone numbers, etc. to my iPhone without having to resort to the whole emailing-myself thing. :D

Thanks for sharing!

tjans
Harmless

Postby tjans » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:03 am

I actually wrote a little C# app that parses the gameday page of my fantasy football website on CBS Sportsline and sends me a push notification if the score of my game changes. This keeps me from having to go in and check the score every few minutes, and the notification tells me the score, so if it's 1 point, I'll know I don't need to check (cause it's probably just a reception or something) vs. a 7 point difference (indicating a TD of some sort) where I might want to see who scored the TD. This is something that the P.O.S. CBS app should provide in the first place, but of course, does not.

I don't know about the other push notification competitors in the app store, but I love the fact that Prowl has an API for this kind of stuff. I love to mix nerdery and sports!

fubaya
Harmless

Postby fubaya » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:41 am

Here are a couple simple scripts for the BASH shell on Linux that I use in five different ways. Maybe they will be handy for someone else.

Pipe to Prowl

#! /bin/sh
message=$(< /dev/stdin)
curl -k https://prowl.weks.net/publicapi/add -F apikey=XXX -F application="ipipe" -F description="$message"

This script allows you to pipe the output from any command and send it to your phone via Prowl. I named the script "i" so I can add "| i" on the command line. Example: "cat foo | i" sends the contents of the foo file to Prowl.

I'm not sure "< /dev/stdin" will work on all systems. There are various ways of handling piped standard input such as "cat -" and "<&0" but "< /dev/stdin" is what works for me.

I also have a version of that on my phone. Jailbreak users can create a fake app directory in /Applications with an icon, a script and a plist and edit the plist to point to the script. You can then run your script by clicking it's icon on springboard. The downside is that you can't see the output of the script, but you can get it via Prowl by adding "| i" to the end of it. It's useful if you have an often used script that you don't want to open MobileTerminal for.

Monitor changes

#! /bin/sh
cd /path/to/tmp/file/directory
[command] > .b
if
diff .b .a | grep \<
then
send2prowl=$(diff .b .a | grep \< | sed s/^..//g)
curl -k https://prowl.weks.net/publicapi/add -F apikey=XXX -F application="XXX" -F description="$send2prowl"
fi
mv .b .a

You can edit this and put it in a cron for a simple way to monitor changes. It performs a command and puts the output in file (.b), then compares to file (.a) for changes. Then it moves the most recent version of the output (.b) to the (.a) file to be ready to compare next time. Replace [command] with a real command, rename (.a) and (.b) if you want and fill in the info for the curl options. This checks if anything new has been added since last time. To have it monitor all changes, remove "| grep \<"

I use it as the basis of a podcatcher that works both on my PC and on the iphone. I also use it to monitor a couple of directories, e.g. use "ls /path/to/completed/torrents > .b" and when a torrent has finished downloading, it will Prowl you the file name. To create a script to monitor a website for changes, use "links -dump http://www.X.com/ > .b"

jobd
Harmless

Postby jobd » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:51 pm

I'm using Prowl to notify me the following events:
- Twitter mentions - Parsed from RSS to shellscript
- Speed cameras - Parse some RSS to shellscript
- IRC hilights from weechat - one line modification of awaylog.pl, which calls shellscript. Making a plugin for this one :).
- Movies which start at 20.30 on my favorite channel - Parsed EPG information to shellscript
- Emergency services in my direct neighbourhood - Twitter parsed by shellscript
- Mail from my wife ;) - Procmail to shell script

Next in line to push is server monitoring, shouldnt be any problem I guess.

-edit: disabled smilies :)

Return to “Prowl”