what are people doing with custom notifications?

An iPhone client for Growl available on the App Store.
phil1234
Harmless

Re: what are people doing with custom notifications?

Postby phil1234 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:47 pm

I wrote a PHP script that runs as Cronjob, which notifies me when one of my friends is playing Battlefield Bad Company 2 and sends me a link to his stats :D

werchter
Harmless

Postby werchter » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:39 pm

I have set up a filter in GMail, that redirects certain imporant e-mails to my Prowl e-mail address.

phirephly
Harmless

Postby phirephly » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:58 am

acrollet wrote:I'm using this little one-liner in my crontab to give me severe weather alerts. (pulling from weather.gov's rss)

Code: Select all

*/30 * * * * mv /tmp/exweath_new.txt /tmp/exweath_old.txt; curl -s http://www.weather.gov/alerts-beta/wwaatmget.php?x=TXZ103|grep '<summary>'|awk -F'\.\.\.' '{print $2}' > /tmp/exweath_new.txt; if ! diff /tmp/exweath_new.txt /tmp/exweath_old.txt ; then /home/acrollet/bin/prowl.pl -apikeyfile=/home/acrollet/.prowlapikey -application='Denton County' -notification="`cat /tmp/exweath_new.txt`" -priority=1 -event='severe weather'; fi

I thought this was awesome, so I cleaned it up and made it easier to add/remove both zones of interest and users: http://kennethfinnegan.blogspot.com/201 ... prowl.html

dkabal
Harmless

Postby dkabal » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:41 pm

My company is using Prowl to send additional information on 911 calls. I send 911 call information to first responders' iPhones and iPads, including a link to a google map of the address of the call, and a brief history of previous 911 calls at that address.

Cheers,
Dave

ensamgud
Harmless

Postby ensamgud » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:53 pm

I get notified of TV Shows when they are dowloaded to my server, both premiere shows and favorites. (Flexget + Usenet)
I also scrape train station webpages and have prowl notify me when my train to/from work is likely to be late.

Al_eXs
Harmless

Postby Al_eXs » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:37 am

Using Growl for Windows and the Command Line Tool that came with it I set many of my BATCH files with some notifications to know when the process finish, as they keep running for 3 to 5 hours, and when finish I just access via VNC to check everything and run the next BATCH.

emergent
Harmless

Postby emergent » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:26 pm

I have it set so my wife receives a notification when motion is detected at our Hummingbird feeder. Clicking on the notification brings you to a webpage showing the camera.

Return to “Prowl”