Working Backwards, Prowl API to Growl

An iPhone client for Growl available on the App Store.
jphastings
Harmless

Working Backwards, Prowl API to Growl

Postby jphastings » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:43 pm

Is there any possibility to have a new Plugin for Growl (or an application) that runs as a Prowl device, so that messages sent to the Prowl API will be shown on a computer?

Justification: Web apps alerting developers of errors could auto-post to Prowl, if you're working on your computer you can fix straight away (but at the moment, only if you check your iPhone)
Problems:
- This client would need to show prowls as growls, but without triggering a new prowl.
- The computer-client would need some way of knowing which Growl notifications originated from it so that you wouldn't get double growls.
- The usual firewall etc problems when pushing to a computer (persistent connections to the Prowl server could remove this problem, but connections from what could be thousands+ of computers would be expensive)

I grant you this is a bit out of the scope for Prowl, but its a cool idea ne?

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: Working Backwards, Prowl API to Growl

Postby zac » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:02 pm

The problem is that the clients would have to poll for messages, which can get very ugly (and very server-intensive). I've thought about it, I'm just not sure I will implement it.

bobpatterson
Harmless

Postby bobpatterson » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:58 am

what about just being able to send a prowl to your email account... like a check box on the web interface

Then it would just push to your email and iphone and you can just monitor that with your growl.... i already do anyway

i do understand the infinite loop issue that could arise but you could just set a separate email account up and have it connected to growl but not push to prowl... with the settings

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:00 pm

That sounds a little over-the-top complicated.

kaotic
Harmless

Postby kaotic » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:56 pm

I'm only a basic web programer so I may be entirely wrong but you cant just use the networking support already built into Growl? granted its going to require the user to open up firewall ports and ensure port forwarding on the router is enabled for growl (port 9887) I have a few web apps that use this method to send me growl notifications, I got used code from http://clickontyler.com/php-growl/ and then built on that.

Return to “Prowl”