API Feature request: sound-only, notification-only, etc

An iPhone client for Growl available on the App Store.
ManuCH
Harmless

API Feature request: sound-only, notification-only, etc

Postby ManuCH » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:24 am

First of all, thank you for this nice app and for the APIs. It's really very useful.

I have a few suggestions for the API, if I might:

- add a parameter where you can choose, per notification, to either only play a sound, or only show an on-screen notification, or only increment the badge (or a combination thereof)
- add a parameter to choose what sound should be played (along with an advanced setting in the Prowl app on the iPhone where the user can enable/disable the fact that the sound can be changed remotely by an API call)

While we're at it, more sounds would be cool :cool:

Thanks
-Manuel

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: API Feature request: sound-only, notification-only, etc

Postby zac » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:41 pm

ManuCH wrote:First of all, thank you for this nice app and for the APIs. It's really very useful.

I have a few suggestions for the API, if I might:

- add a parameter where you can choose, per notification, to either only play a sound, or only show an on-screen notification, or only increment the badge (or a combination thereof)

I don't think this is going to happen. However, 1.1 is going to have quiet hours, which allow you to disable all but the badge during certain hours of the day, which should alleviate the need for a quieted set of notifications.

- add a parameter to choose what sound should be played (along with an advanced setting in the Prowl app on the iPhone where the user can enable/disable the fact that the sound can be changed remotely by an API call)

If you specify priority, 1.1 has the ability to choose which sound to play based on the priority.

ozzy
Harmless

Postby ozzy » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:31 pm

It would be really useful to disable the badge notification.
Often the popup message holds enough information, without the need of entering the app. It would be great to simply dismiss this without the need to open the Prowl app to remove the badge.

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:48 pm

You can disable badge entirely in Settings > Notifications > Prowl.

ozzy
Harmless

Postby ozzy » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:50 pm

Of course! My bad... thanks ;o)

capi
Harmless

Postby capi » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:40 pm

zac wrote:I don't think this is going to happen. However, 1.1 is going to have quiet hours, which allow you to disable all but the badge during certain hours of the day, which should alleviate the need for a quieted set of notifications.

Could you explain why you think this is going to happen? I'd second the request for the API and I'd find this a very useful extension of the API.

Thanks for the great tool anyways!

Best regards,
Martin

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:02 pm

1.1 will allow you to set a specific sound (none, vibrate only, or a selection of sound) for each priority level. Quiet hours force only badge updating. Is there a use case I'm ignoring for why the API needs to be able to determine what effect (alert, badge or sound) is applied?

capi
Harmless

Postby capi » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:23 pm

Speaking for me, I am pushing Nagios stuff to my iPhone to have it conveniently with me. Certain WARNINGs don't require vibrating and/or a notification, others do. If you tell me I can handle this with levels, I am fine with it, but it would give my scripts additional flexibility to be able to specify I don't need a popup for this special warning and just the badge increased.

Best regards,
Martin

AlphonseElric
Harmless

Postby AlphonseElric » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:12 pm

just to chime in here (so to speak) I'd like to be able to specify what kinds of alerts my home automation system gives me. if i have the alarm set and a door is opened, I'd like to have a very prominent sound play, but when i get an alert that someone opened a window, i just want a subtle beep or something. since I'm all about sound notifications, I'd love to be able to somehow add more sounds, even if i have to set that up in advance for bandwidth reasons.

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:22 pm

I think priorities + 1.1 will allow you to manage that. Hopefully it's ever approved, I'm getting more and more annoyed with the app store process.

Return to “Prowl”