Twitter notifications with Prey Fetcher

An iPhone client for Growl available on the App Store.
tofumatt
Harmless

Twitter notifications with Prey Fetcher

Postby tofumatt » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:16 am

Howdy there,

Just letting everyone know I've launched a dinky little web app called Prey Fetcher that will monitor your Twitter account and send you Prowl notifications whenever you get new @mentions or DMs on Twitter. It's free (I basically built it for myself but figured I'd buils a web app around it so others could enjoy it without having to have their own server) and uses OAuth on the Twitter side and a Prowl API key on the Prowl side, so you don't have to fork over passwords or anything nutty like that.

I find it handy to get both DMs and @mentions pushed to my iPhone and setup an auto-redirect on the name "Prey Fetcher" to my iPhone Twitter app of choice, Tweetie.

The app is at http://preyfetcher.com. Hope that covers everything.
Last edited by tofumatt on Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:22 am, edited 6 times in total.

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: Twitter notifications with Prey Fetcher

Postby zac » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:26 am

Added to the API page.

Tuinslak
Harmless

Postby Tuinslak » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:51 pm

how often does it check/update ? I've sent myself a DM and haven't got a push msg in over an hour.

tofumatt
Harmless

Postby tofumatt » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:32 am

It updates every ten minutes, but Twitter's API has been returning capacity errors (the generic "Twitter is over capacity" error) for a lot of today when it polls, based on the log files. That said, it looks like there's a bit of an issue with some recent code. I'm tracking it down now o_O

Edit: The bug was fixed, and it checks for new @mentions and DMs every five minutes.

tofumatt
Harmless

Postby tofumatt » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:53 am

If you're using Prey Fetcher, you can now follow @preyfetcher for updates, or if you have anything to report, etc. I'll still be checking these forums though.

tofumatt
Harmless

Postby tofumatt » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:22 am

First off, thanks a bunch to the users that have signed up and especially those that have been letting me know about the hiccups the service has had. I'm glad this idea is as handy to you as it is for me.

Secondly, thanks a bunch to Zac who posted links to Prey Fetcher not only from the API page but also on the homepage of the Prowl website. :-)

Thirdly, I wanted to let everyone know that while I'm still advertising the service as "beta", it's pretty stable now and has been performing well for the past few days. The last bug (with DM notifications not always getting delivered) has been fixed, so you don't have to worry about getting 80,000 notifications about the same @mention or anything like that ;-). Of course, you don't have to worry about not receiving notifications either. They are checked for/sent every 5 minutes, so you should be able to stay pretty up-to-date with the happenings on Twitter ^_^

I'll be rolling out some new features gradually -- again, I'm open to taking feature requests, and I've got a few pretty cool things in the pipe. Should be fun!

Tuinslak
Harmless

Postby Tuinslak » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:54 pm

Another bug; when receiving 2 @notifications shortly after eachother, only one (the last one) is pushed to the iPhone.

tofumatt
Harmless

Postby tofumatt » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:13 am

Tuinslak wrote:Another bug; when receiving 2 @notifications shortly after eachother, only one (the last one) is pushed to the iPhone.

This is by design; Prey Fetcher checks Twitter every 5 minutes for new mentions / DMs; if you get more than one, it will display a count (eg. "3 new DMs"), along with the text of the most recent tweet / DM. The assumption I'm going on is that people already have a Twitter app of choice on the iPhone, and it's probably not Prowl -- Prey Fetcher really just lets you know that you have new DMs/mentions, and assumes from there you'll want to read them/deal with them from your iPhone Twitter app.

The recent text in the Prowl notification is a nice way of checking to see if it's worth opening Tweetie, but it's not meant to replace a proper Twitter client.

tofumatt
Harmless

Postby tofumatt » Sun May 16, 2010 5:33 am

Prey Fetcher is now open-source. o_O

http://github.com/tofumatt/Prey-Fetcher

Return to “Prowl”