[Feature Request] iPhone App, cache data

An iPhone client for Growl available on the App Store.
Diggory
Growl Team

[Feature Request] iPhone App, cache data

Postby Diggory » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:58 pm

Hi,

Love Prowl, very useful.

I spend a lot of time in a rural area where mobile coverage is spotty at best. Occasionally when out of range I will notice that I have unread Prowl notifications through the app icon badge. However, if one launches the app in that situation it simply says that you're not connected to the net.

Would it be possible for the app to cache its data so that it can be used when out of range - or does the Prowl app just show a Webkit view of the Prowl web site?

Cheers, Digs

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: [Feature Request] iPhone App, cache data

Postby zac » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:11 pm

The problem with this scenario is that it wouldn't have the new notifications: it'd still have to download them from the server.

Locally caching already-downloaded notifications is a likely future feature, but the application itself is entirely unaware of push notifications while it's not open. They're simply displayed and discarded by the OS.

jazzychad
Harmless

Re: [Feature Request] iPhone App, cache data

Postby jazzychad » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:04 pm

zac wrote:Locally caching already-downloaded notifications is a likely future feature...

This would be great. I'm not sure how others use Prowl, but I usually don't delete my messages until after a long while. So re-downloading all the messages on every launch can get slow (O(n^2)) after several messages. Only checking for and downloading new ones would be killer.

Return to “Prowl”