Remove Notifications with API?

An iPhone client for Growl available on the App Store.
Stauf
Harmless

Remove Notifications with API?

Postby Stauf » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:49 pm

I was wondering if it was possible to remove notifications from the API?

We have an internal app that sends a growl message to all our logged in users; using the growl network forwarding. A user (any user) then logs in to a website, solved the issue (replies to an email, closes the alert, etc) and another message goes out the same way saying the issue is closed. I'm experimenting with Prowl to push these alerts to people wherever they are -- and was wondering if, instead of showing 2 alerts (and (2) on the notification counter), there was a way of just removing the old alert and decrementing the counter?

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: Remove Notifications with API?

Postby zac » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:35 pm

Right now I want to avoid the API actually getting involved in the notifications themselves. However, I would consider another solution:

Growl currently allows you to set a context string for a particular notification. It lets you override this notification with a new notification. It might be worthwhile to also implement this in Prowl, allowing the secondary notification to be also set, but over-write the old one inside Prowl itself.

I'll look into what this would imply for the backend, as well as expected behavior for users. I don't think too many applications on OS X take advantage of it, but it's probably a decently nice feature to have. I think this would solve what you're looking for, without letting the API manage anything other than adding notifications.

mercaor
Harmless

Re: Remove Notifications with API?

Postby mercaor » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:32 am

Hello Zac,

Any news on this one? It would really be great, if, e.g., one could use the event parameter (perhaps flagged like ***MyEventDescription*** with the *** implying that any existing message from this app with this event should be replaces by a new one). Wouldn't it be possible to implement this on the backend?

Thanks,
Mercator

Return to “Prowl”