2Prowl, Safari Extension

An iPhone client for Growl available on the App Store.
philo23
Harmless

2Prowl, Safari Extension

Postby philo23 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:38 pm

I've been bored over the last few days and I've also wanted to experiment with Safari extensions, so over the past say 3 days I've made this small extension which can push the URL of your current tab to your iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad via Prowl. This way you can quickly move from your desktop computer to what ever device you want.

Obviously you'll need to have Prowl installed on your iOS device, but you do not need Growl installed (it also works in Safari on Windows too). It should also be able to automatically fetch your API key if you login to the official Prowl website.

If you want to give it a try and maybe give me some feedback, feel free to download it from: http://dreamtbyphil.co.uk/extensions/#ext_2prowl.

From what I can tell you'll need to enable Extensions in Safari manually right now, but its a relatively simple process. Simply go to Preferences, click the Advanced tab, and check the "Show Develop menu in menu bar" option, and then from the Develop menu, click "Enable extensions".

I'm sure that theres loads of stuff I could easily improve in this extension, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Hope you find it as useful as I do.

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: 2Prowl, Safari Extension

Postby zac » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:02 pm

Very cool! I've added it to the API page.

philo23
Harmless

Postby philo23 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:10 pm

Thanks a lot man!

Hopefully a few people might find as useful as I do

randomperson
Harmless

Postby randomperson » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:31 pm

any chance of adding a redirect for this? the use case being, 2Prowl sends url, Prowl iPhone then triggers a redirect to Safari with the sent url automatically loading

thanks

philo23
Harmless

Postby philo23 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:35 pm

Thats something you'll have to ask the Prowl developers, the current Safari one doesn't seem work.

Nice to hear of someone using it!

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:13 pm

That's definitely something that'll be in the next version of Prowl. Development has slipped a little (I've had an annoying cold, and been busy the past week or two) but it should be out by end of September at the latest (my goal for submission to Apple is first week of September, but no promises yet!).

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:23 am

This is the first Google result for 2Prowl, so I figured I'd update the issue here.

There's now a 'url' parameter that can make automatic redirects for any url, especially in situations like this. I am betting 2Prowl will be getting an update that lets it take advantage of the functionality.

philo23
Harmless

Postby philo23 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:59 pm

Just letting everyone know, 2Prowl 2.5 is now out, with added URL redirection.

You can either update it from the Extensions tab in your Safari extensions or by downloading it again from my site: http://extensions.dreamtbyphil.co.uk/

Hope everyone enjoys it!

Return to “Prowl”