[RESOLVED] Change Alert Tone

An iPhone client for Growl available on the App Store.
klaauser
Harmless

[RESOLVED] Change Alert Tone

Postby klaauser » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:25 pm

Hi all --

I have VoiceGrowl set up to forward my Google Voice texts and voicemails to prowl, which I then have set to redirect to the GVMobile+ App (Jailbroken iPhone4 running iOS4.0.1). Not that you really needed to know any of that.

My question is: Is there any way to SSH into the iPhone and change the Alert tones that come with prowl? Since I use it primarily for text messaging, I would like to customize the Alert tone to either: One of the iPhone's default SMS Tones (maybe a pointer so if I apply new ringtones, Prowl's tones change automatically) or one of my own choosing (i.e. replacing the default file with an .mp3/.aac file of my choosing.

Thanks in advance, guys!
-Kyle
Last edited by klaauser on Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: Change Alert Tone

Postby zac » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:35 pm

Prowl's audio files are stored in its app bundle, you can modify them in there. I believe the codesign will break if you change any of the resources, though, so you may need to re-sign. Not sure.

klaauser
Harmless

Postby klaauser » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:58 pm

zac wrote:Prowl's audio files are stored in its app bundle, you can modify them in there. I believe the codesign will break if you change any of the resources, though, so you may need to re-sign. Not sure.

I'm not sure what 'codesign' is or how to 're-sign' something. I'll do my research later but if you have any quick resources you could send my way, that would be great!

tritonvision
Harmless

Postby tritonvision » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:06 am

Been trying to change the alert tone of Prowl for a while.. anyone has any luck?

klaauser
Harmless

Postby klaauser » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:25 pm

tritonvision wrote:Been trying to change the alert tone of Prowl for a while.. anyone has any luck?

None here, I'm still waiting to find out what 're-signing' is before I tinker with anything...

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:13 pm

I haven't tried playing with editing the bundle after distribution, but I believe just replacing the audio files would be okay. I don't think codesigning applies to the sound files.

Read this for an idea how to prepare the files for replacement:

http://developer.apple.com/iphone/libra ... ntImp.html

klaauser
Harmless

Postby klaauser » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:42 am

tritonvision wrote:Been trying to change the alert tone of Prowl for a while.. anyone has any luck?

i took a .caf file and named it the same as a ringtone in Prowl, backed up the ringtone that was included in the package and overwrote the original copy and it worked great! Thanks!!

tritonvision
Harmless

Postby tritonvision » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:32 pm

klaauser wrote:

i took a .caf file and named it the same as a ringtone in Prowl, backed up the ringtone that was included in the package and overwrote the original copy and it worked great! Thanks!!

Awesome. Glad to know it works for you. Do you happen to know the directory to SSH into prowl?

cborah
Harmless

Re: [RESOLVED] Change Alert Tone

Postby cborah » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:13 pm

Any way to change the alert tones if you are running Prowl on a non-jailbroken iPhone?

As far as I can tell, the only file associated with Prowl on my machine is a .ipa file which means I cannot modify or access the package to swap out a .caf file.

Any idea whether or not setting a custom tone will be an application update in the future?

Thanks,
Chris

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:03 pm

The DRM will probably prevent you from modifying the ipa. If you rename it to .zip you can explore the contents, but I don't think you can modify it at all.

The sounds can't be customized themselves (like, a Prowl setting to add a ringtone, etc.) because they have to be in the application for the push to play them. :(

iTouchTheNet
Harmless

Postby iTouchTheNet » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:27 am

So to change my Prowl sounds, this is what I did:

1. Open Transmit, and connect to your iOS device, head to private/var/mobile/Applications/

2. Change to list view, then select all (command-A).

3. Hit the right arrow on the keyboard; all the folders will open. You may get some errors, click OK and ignore them.

4. Type "Prowl" (without the quotes) in the Transmit search box in the upper-right corner of the app.

5. Locate Prowl in the results, click it and choose Get Info or hit command-I You will probably get another error, it's safe to ignore. (Edit: at this point you can probably just right-click Prowl.app and choose "Open in New Tab" to skip steps 6-7)

6. Take note of the strangely-named folder it resides in, named in the Get Info window. In my case, it was similar to "2H56C56A-38A1-45BD-935D-43F3S21BDF6D" (without the quotes)

7. Navigate to this folder, and then within Prowl.app (which is a folder), and there you will find the sounds.

The sounds can be replaced only with files which have had their names changed to match the ones already there. Other .caf files will upload, but won't show up in the available sounds list in Prowl.

I used a number of sounds from Adium soundsets and one from my old Macs:

Emerg. - Uh-Oh! sound from "ICQ" Adium soundset (mono) (chime.caf)
High - 1UP sound from "SuperMarioWorld" Adium soundset (stereo) (rezso.caf)
Normal - old sound from my System 7 days called "Symphonic Whisper" (stereo) (bidi.caf)
Mod - AOL "Yoohoo" sound from "Sexy AOL Sounds" Adium soundset (stereo) (beep.caf)
Low - Coin pickup sound from "SuperMarioWorld" Adium soundset (mono) (elysium.caf)

Download these sounds, renamed and ready for use here: Prowl soundset 1

Edit: Forgot to mention, iOS 4.1, jailbroken iPod Touch 4th-gen, no problems with running Prowl and hearing the new sounds with push notifications.

P.S. The sounds will likely be reset each time an upgrade to the app is installed.

alltime
Harmless

Postby alltime » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:15 pm

Is it possible to change or add Sound Files on an non jillbrake iPhone??

Return to “Prowl”