Prowl 1.2 is now available

An iPhone client for Growl available on the App Store.
zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: Prowl 1.2 is now available

Postby zac » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:08 pm

Is the 'From' address, as displayed in an email client, different than the one displaying in Prowl? Prowl is using the one the mail server is reporting, not the one found in the email's headers. If that's really how it's displaying, I'll update the server to use the 'From'. Mail from both my work account (via exchange) and my Gmail account look fine.

Collapsing multiple line breaks might make things easier, and perhaps some signature-removing logic, but a "tap to expand" notifications (or tap to go to a detailed view, but I've been avoiding it because 90% of notifications don't need you to waste the effort) may be a solution as well.

Also, you may wish to try tapping the 'edit' button to collapse the notifications to make deleting easier. I'll be making the swipe-to-delete button always appear in the header section in a future update, it's a bit more work than it seems without swizzling Apple's code a bit.

Lazybones
Muffin

Postby Lazybones » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:21 pm

No that is not what is displayed by a normal email client..

Looking at my own headers it looks like you are displaying the Return-Path: header, which in my case includes a special message padding from our spamfilter to avoid backscatter spam attacks.

The From: header in most cases is the best to use, or the message envelope, but that is sometimes forged by spam. My From header contains my Full name and address in normal formatting as delivered from my mail system.

Lazybones
Muffin

Postby Lazybones » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:28 pm

zac wrote:Collapsing multiple line breaks might make things easier, and perhaps some signature-removing logic, but a "tap to expand" notifications (or tap to go to a detailed view, but I've been avoiding it because 90% of notifications don't need you to waste the effort) may be a solution as well.

Unless you provide another flag to only use the message subject, an expansion option will be needed due to the various message body sizes possible. Ever email sent from my office will have a sig block followed by an automated confidentiality notice. (not that I would ever alert on anything confidential via this system but that footer is automated)

Maybe in addition to the + priority number you could have some other manipulation variables maybe -b No body, -s try and remove sig -c compress white space / line returns.. but that is getting complicated.

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:31 pm

I will update the 'from' to use the header once I get home from work today. I had a feeling there was an issue here but I wasn't able to reproduce it myself.

I agree, too many flags would complicate things a bit. I don't want to limit the amount of text by default, simply because anything I write will have some level of false positives. Perhaps there's a happy medium in something like "-n500" to only include the first 500 characters..

Lazybones
Muffin

Postby Lazybones » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:52 pm

zac wrote:Perhaps there's a happy medium in something like "-n500" to only include the first 500 characters..

As long as -n0 would also be valid to send only the subject that would be very useful.

Also another thought... footers and sigs tend to be consistent in length.. Maybe having the option to remove the last x characters would be better, then the user could figure out the sig length ones and subtract it from the notification leaving only the message body? Problem with that would be HTML messages getting mangled.

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:33 am

'From' should be reporting sane data now. I've got the padding significantly reduced locally, I can display about six 1-line notifications at the current minimum font. Thinking about how to make Prowlmail a bit more useful given the signature scenario.

Diggory
Growl Team

Postby Diggory » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:14 am

Thanks for the update.

Just a quick idea - might it work well if you float the AppTitle to the left and the NoteName to the right in the title bar - then if they can both fit in on one line then the title bar doesn't appear so large.

e.g. in this mock-up: (excuse the crudeness)

http://bucket.monkeyfood.com/prowlMock/

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:43 am

Lazybones wrote:
zac wrote:Perhaps there's a happy medium in something like "-n500" to only include the first 500 characters..

As long as -n0 would also be valid to send only the subject that would be very useful.

Also another thought... footers and sigs tend to be consistent in length.. Maybe having the option to remove the last x characters would be better, then the user could figure out the sig length ones and subtract it from the notification leaving only the message body? Problem with that would be HTML messages getting mangled.

Added a nobody flag, see the other post.

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:43 am

Diggory wrote:Thanks for the update.

Just a quick idea - might it work well if you float the AppTitle to the left and the NoteName to the right in the title bar - then if they can both fit in on one line then the title bar doesn't appear so large.

e.g. in this mock-up: (excuse the crudeness)

http://bucket.monkeyfood.com/prowlMock/

I'm going to be trying to combine them into 1 line if it will sanely fit, I believe.

VxJasonxV
Harmless

Postby VxJasonxV » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:38 am

zac wrote:Thinking about how to make Prowlmail a bit more useful given the signature scenario.

I'm assuming it's worth zapping signatures, and you can do it in one of two ways:

(1) The standard signature design is:
"-- "

That is, a bare line with dash dash SPACE newline.
Start from there, zap everything past it.

(2) You could also look for a repeating number of -'s or ='s (maybe start with a minimum of 3?), followed by "CONFIDENTIAL". I can't stand that huge signature crap. That should catch most of what I've seen nowadays.

Lazybones
Muffin

Postby Lazybones » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:41 pm

zac wrote:'From' should be reporting sane data now. I've got the padding significantly reduced locally, I can display about six 1-line notifications at the current minimum font. Thinking about how to make Prowlmail a bit more useful given the signature scenario.

It is now showing the correct information, however it still uses up two lines..

My busness accounts tend to have FULL addresses with proper names like "Lastname, Firstname" <firstnamelastname@companydomain.com> This takes up a lot of space, maybe you could parse the address (should be lots of RFC examples for this) and only display the quoted proper name if it exists or only display the email address minus the <> ?

Lazybones
Muffin

Postby Lazybones » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:49 pm

I have just noticed that when you do the bulk edit->Clear All that it rolls up all the messages to just their headers and hides the bodies... Could that simply bet the default view? Then as you tap on each message header the body would appear? This would be VERY simmilar to how Google Reader http://www.google.com/reader/ works when viewed on the iPhone.

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:11 pm

Yeah, I'm considering adding a preference for it. It's actually very similar to how the original Prowl worked.. each notification was short and tapping on one would expand it.

About stripping the quoted name.. I'm not entirely sure. I understand the duplication but I wonder how often it's helpful to have the name on top of the email. e.g., "Bob Mathews <Coolguy45@blah>".. I'll add a Prowlmail flag for it. :)

Use the flag "strip" to drop the "Prowlmail" off the application, and the sender's name as well. I'll be adding some rudimentary signature detection too under the same flag.

Lazybones
Muffin

Postby Lazybones » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:00 pm

Using the nobody and strip options my email alerts are now as small as two lines, which is good.

Now if we can get the API application notifications that small everything would be great!

P.S. I love the new custom URL redirections.

VxJasonxV
Harmless

Postby VxJasonxV » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:59 pm

zac wrote:[...], and I'm also playing with lowering the padding inside the header.

And for the record, I have a local build here with the shadows inverted, and it looks great. :)

I'm playing with 1.2.2 you posted yesterday, and (1) the padding difference in the message content makes it look uncentered and lopsided. I have maybe a quarter of the padding on top as I do on the bottom of the message pane. (2) The shadows are still in the header and making it look recessed. Did you revert those changes locally? Or why didn't it make it into this build?

[edit]
And I just scrolled back to some old messages, and the message content is being truncated. The last line is cut in half. The top half of the characters are all that is visible.

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:17 pm

VxJasonxV wrote:I'm playing with 1.2.2 you posted yesterday, and (1) the padding difference in the message content makes it look uncentered and lopsided. I have maybe a quarter of the padding on top as I do on the bottom of the message pane. (2) The shadows are still in the header and making it look recessed. Did you revert those changes locally? Or why didn't it make it into this build?

I fixed up the padding offset in the content area for the next 1.2.2 build; should be up today after I spend a few hours working on another change I have locally. Also adding smaller minimum font size.

I did revert the local changes; I wasn't happy with them. I wanted to get everything except for them squared away before I reintroduced them. They will be in 1.2.2 before it gets pushed, just not in the initial beta.

I prefer to incrementally introduce changes into these builds because it makes regressions easier to spot, and limits the burden of last-minute testing.

[edit]
And I just scrolled back to some old messages, and the message content is being truncated. The last line is cut in half. The top half of the characters are all that is visible.

Also fixed locally, shortly after the 1.2.2 build. I was going to push another but I didn't commit in-between them and another set of changes. Whoops!

VxJasonxV
Harmless

Postby VxJasonxV » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:12 am

Should we maybe start a rolling beta tester thread? Or perhaps a subforum devoted to the task?

Re: 1.2.2 #1

You have a bounding box problem with regard to changing text size. If you change it to something bigger, the notification panes overlap. If you change it to something smaller, then you have the border of the message, and then extra whitespace underneath it before the header of the next message starts.

I note also that this extra whitespace appears to be part of the overall message cell, because tapping on a message highlights the header/body, AND this extra whitespace.

In order to properly change the text size, you must change the text size, close prowl, KILL IT from background execution, and let it completely reload. Pretty sure that's not what you want :).

erMonas
Harmless

Postby erMonas » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:53 am

VxJasonxV wrote:Should we maybe start a rolling beta tester thread? Or perhaps a subforum devoted to the task?

Re: 1.2.2 #1

You have a bounding box problem with regard to changing text size. If you change it to something bigger, the notification panes overlap. If you change it to something smaller, then you have the border of the message, and then extra whitespace underneath it before the header of the next message starts.

I note also that this extra whitespace appears to be part of the overall message cell, because tapping on a message highlights the header/body, AND this extra whitespace.

In order to properly change the text size, you must change the text size, close prowl, KILL IT from background execution, and let it completely reload. Pretty sure that's not what you want :).

I have images of that bug:
Initial size:
Bigger font:
Smaller font:
If you come back to the initial size everything goes back to normal.

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:20 am

Ah, I see why that's happening. Fixed.

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:23 am

Also yes for the record, I'd probably rather beta stuff be kept private.

Reply to the Testflight email, the reply-to is my email address.

Return to “Prowl”