Provider Key Flow

An iPhone client for Growl available on the App Store.
z3v0
Harmless

Provider Key Flow

Postby z3v0 » Tue May 03, 2011 5:46 pm

So I'm not sure I'm understanding things correctly here. I am using WebService::Prowl to send simple messages and I have signed up for a provider key. I used the retrieve/token call and got a successful api key for a second user and was able to send it messages. My question is this, when prowl is logged in as the second user and I send messages using the generated apikey, prowl will play the sound and pop a notification if the app is not on-screen at the moment, however it doesn't show in that user's history. Alternatively, those messages DO show in the provider's account. Is this a normal function of the provider key architecture, or is it a bug?

My provider user = z3v0
2nd user with token-generated apikey = z3v02

Thanks

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: Provider Key Flow

Postby zac » Tue May 03, 2011 6:06 pm

Were you testing while logged into the same device? Sounds like the account that received the push was not the same as the account that Prowl was logging into retrieve the history from.

The next version has a 'Logout' button in the settings which I've added, which should make this particular problem a little less irritating.

Your provider key flow sounds correct, though. `retrieve/token` -> `retrieve/apikey` -> use the API key for push notifications.

z3v0
Harmless

Postby z3v0 » Tue May 03, 2011 6:17 pm

So the account z3v0 created the provider key
Account z3v02 created a valid apikey based on the retrieved token
I sent a notification using the created apikey
Account z3v02 is logged into the device and got the notification popup, but it isn't in the history

I logged into z3v0 using the device and the messages now show up in that account's history

And that history status stays consistent if i log in again and again.

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Tue May 03, 2011 6:28 pm

That's a very strange set of behavior I can't readily explain, but I think it's happening based on the logging in/out.

Can you log into both and, from the settings page on the webpage, remove all associated devices?

Make sure you're killing Prowl before changing the username in the Settings as well.

z3v0
Harmless

Postby z3v0 » Tue May 03, 2011 6:36 pm

Very Astute!!

Yep, that fixed it, it looks like there is some weird login caching even across new logins, cant wait for the new update.

Thanks!

Return to “Prowl”