Mass Creation of Users

An iPhone client for Growl available on the App Store.
araskin@go3i.com
Harmless

Mass Creation of Users

Postby araskin@go3i.com » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:09 pm

Hi,

We are considering deploying Prowl with 1000s of users in our enterprise. Is there an automated way of creating a large number of accounts? rather then ask each of our users to go and create an account on the site?

Alon

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: Mass Creation of Users

Postby zac » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:35 pm

There isn't an automated way, but if you'd like, we can probably figure something out that suits your needs.

prowl-support@googlegroups.com

From the user's perspective it may be easier for them to create their own account, though. What's your target usage?

araskin@go3i.com
Harmless

Postby araskin@go3i.com » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:39 pm

Depends on which customers. We have customers with 100s of iPad/iPhones and some with 1000s.

If we automate the procedure it would be ideal. Also, each user would have their own API key right?
In that case we would need you to give us the API key for each user so we can upload it into our server application. Right?

BTW, I assume that once the API Key is generated it never expires. Right?

Alon

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:01 pm

araskin@go3i.com wrote:Depends on which customers. We have customers with 100s of iPad/iPhones and some with 1000s.

If we automate the procedure it would be ideal. Also, each user would have their own API key right?

Each user account has an API key, yep.

In that case we would need you to give us the API key for each user so we can upload it into our server application. Right?

Yes, though I'm almost finished with a "user/pass -> api key" API method, for use with non-website situations. You could realistically POST the create-user form and generate an API key that way, if you're up to scripting it.

BTW, I assume that once the API Key is generated it never expires. Right?

Correct, though the user could delete it from their account.

araskin@go3i.com
Harmless

Postby araskin@go3i.com » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:02 pm

OK. How much time do you need to get it turned around? If I had a client that wanted to move forward with some sort of automated approach?

Alon

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:09 pm

It should be completed by this weekend, since I'm depending on it for something else I'm writing. I'll be posting in the API changes thread as well as updating the API page when the new method is added.

Assume I'm slow or delayed/busy and add a week or two. I don't want to give too hard of a deadline on it since I haven't finished.

araskin@go3i.com
Harmless

Postby araskin@go3i.com » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:33 pm

OK thanks.

Return to “Prowl”