[Chrome Plugin] PROWL SECURITY WARNING

An iPhone client for Growl available on the App Store.
Barto
Harmless

[Chrome Plugin] PROWL SECURITY WARNING

Postby Barto » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:01 pm

:!: Today google prowl popped up saying that the Prowl plugin requires new permissions.

It can now access

"Your data on ALL websites"

"Your Tabs and Browsing Activity"

This is not at all needed, and in order to continue to use the plugin you have to accept.

Please address this security concern ASAP.

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: [Chrome Plugin] PROWL SECURITY WARNING

Postby zac » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:46 am

I'm a little surprised this is "new permissions" - I am not sure how the plugin could function if it didn't run against every webpage you were on. However, I didn't write the Chrome plugin, so I can't modify this behavior.

Barto
Harmless

Postby Barto » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:10 am

zac wrote:I'm a little surprised this is "new permissions" - I am not sure how the plugin could function if it didn't run against every webpage you were on. However, I didn't write the Chrome plugin, so I can't modify this behavior.

Thats the warnign that comes up since the latest version and at the moment ive resused to click accept hence its disabled.

It doesnt need to access all it says. It just needs to access the one tab that your on at the time you click send.

Please can this be looked into and reported back. Google Chrome has highlighted that this is now more access that it needs meaning things have changed.

Regards

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:56 am

The way I understand it, Chrome plugins can't be executed after a site is loaded, they have to be loaded with the site. So, to get the URL to send the notification for, it would have to be running on that page already to send it.

I believe Chrome pinged you about permission changes because the author modified the app to use the latest version of its "manifest" file. Please ping the author by the feedback option on the extensions' page: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/supp ... &gl=US#bug

Return to “Prowl”