Error Retrieving Password

An iPhone client for Growl available on the App Store.
luis84
Harmless

Error Retrieving Password

Postby luis84 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:41 am

I am using the latest prowl on iOS 5.1 iPhone 4S. I have already tried removing it and reinstalling, I have also tried restoring my iPhone and reinstalling.

Whenever I try to login to Prowl I get 3 pop up errors,

Error 1: Error Retrieving password
"The operation couldn't be completed.
(SFHFKeychainUtilsErrorDomain error -25308.)

Error 2: Push registration failed
no valid 'aps-environment'
entitlement string found for
application

Error 3: Error Retrieving password
"The operation couldn't be completed.
(SFHFKeychainUtilsErrorDomain error -25308.)

Can anybody offer any suggestions?

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: Error Retrieving Password

Postby zac » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:35 am

I believe you emailed me…but I don't think you responded back.

Is your iPhone jailbroken?

luis84
Harmless

Postby luis84 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:02 am

Hello

Yes it is jailbroken. It worked before though when it was jailbroken. I am dying without prowl. Please help me out I am it guy and use this to monitor.

My prowl copy is legit And purchased on the official app store. I can give you proof if you need.

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:48 am

I'm not sure what's going on, but I feel like something is really messed up on the rest of the system. Can you try *not* jailbreaking it?

luis84
Harmless

Postby luis84 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:49 am

Same iPhone iOS 5.1 not jailbroken. Same exact issue. Is there some log or diagnostic info I can send? It's killing me. I need prowl. Cry.

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:39 am

luis84 wrote:Same iPhone iOS 5.1 not jailbroken. Same exact issue. Is there some log or diagnostic info I can send? It's killing me. I need prowl. Cry.

What is the exact OS version you've got installed?

If no other apps are behaving like this, I am honestly not sure what's going on. All signs point to something bad with the device or the application's installed files on the device.

luis84
Harmless

Postby luis84 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:30 am

5.1.1 .... it didnt get any better after a restore but of course the data restored from backup may be the cause.

Where is the full path the data is located at... from the app so I can manually delete it and retry?

Thanks

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:41 am

Deleting the application and reinstalling it from iTunes will clear any saved data, but I doubt that's what's going on; are you confident you installed a fresh, vanilla install of the OS without jailbreaking? Can you reset without restoring from backup and try installing Prowl from the App Store?

adamward
Harmless

Postby adamward » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:21 pm

Okay,

We're having this issue too after upgrading to iOS5 ... Now we randomly miss notifications and are presented with this image:

I found this document online: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9723 ... ractionnot

Is it possible that Prowl needs an update to work properly with the iOS5 keychain?

adamward
Harmless

Postby adamward » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:44 pm

Actually I upgraded to iOS6.... that's when all this started happening.

I attempted to reinstall Prowl... delete, reboot, reinstall Prowl... the issue always comes back.... I think there is a bug that should be addressed.

ahale
Harmless

Postby ahale » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:42 am

This started for me too on ios6 update on not jailbroken iphone4s and persists after a reinstall without restoring from backup.
It will remember password for some time between 24 and 1 hours then throw a few of the same errors below before allowing me to re-enter it.

rdoc
Harmless

Postby rdoc » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:16 pm

+1 for me after switching to iOS6 - using a vanilla iPhone 4S, latest Prowl version.

Unless I call up the Prowl app to manually check, there is no indication that the app has failed. Normally I will receive multiple notifications per hour so I can generally tell when the app has failed by the lack of notifications.

Our company is heavily reliant on Prowl for issuing alerts on infrastructure issues and in it's currently unreliable state it's a pretty serious problem.

Any news / progress on a resolution? Does anyone using iOS6 not have these problems?

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:13 am

rdoc wrote:+1 for me after switching to iOS6 - using a vanilla iPhone 4S, latest Prowl version.

Unless I call up the Prowl app to manually check, there is no indication that the app has failed. Normally I will receive multiple notifications per hour so I can generally tell when the app has failed by the lack of notifications.

Lack of notifications? This particular bug (or really iOS change in behavior, but bug nonetheless) shouldn't be touching how push notifications work or don't work. Can you describe what you're running into in more detail?

Push notifications are received by the system, not the Prowl application, directly from the Prowl server. The application isn't run for the push notifications, nor is it involved; you could have Prowl go without running for days/weeks at a time and still receive push, so I'm confused.

Our company is heavily reliant on Prowl for issuing alerts on infrastructure issues and in it's currently unreliable state it's a pretty serious problem.

Any news / progress on a resolution? Does anyone using iOS6 not have these problems?

I'll be trying to work around it for the next iPhone 5-related update, it shouldn't be too bad. The issue is that the keychain, when you have a passcode set, is inaccessible when the device is locked. So if Prowl is running and it tries to access the keychain it gets yelled at by the system. I think, at least; I'm unable to reproduce the problem. I'm not really sure what it is.

rdoc
Harmless

Postby rdoc » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:46 pm

Hi Zac,

Lack of notifications? This particular bug (or really iOS change in behavior, but bug nonetheless) shouldn't be touching how push notifications work or don't work. Can you describe what you're running into in more detail?

Sorry, if that's the case, it could be a red herring.

Our employees have a variety of Android / iOS phones. I have noticed a few times recently I haven't received notifications when I should have (as the Android Growl client alerts my colleagues) and when I start Prowl I get the 'Error Retrieving password' popup. Re-logging into the Prowl app and refreshing the notifications I can then see the missed notifications in there.

It certainly seemed that I started missing out on notifications around the same time as the keychain issue you're experiencing.

If it's not possible for the two problems to be related, I'll stick some debugging around our alerting scripts (we use your Perl ProwlScript to generate alerts from Zabbix).

Cheers

ahale
Harmless

Postby ahale » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:35 pm

Hi Zac, quick update. I definitely don't receive notifications sometimes. It seems though this is only when the app is actually showing the error message. If I put in a password or just ignore it and leave prowl unable to login then it will continue to show notification messages.

Also, not entirely sure on this but it seems that the app will only lose its password if both a security code and a auto lock are enabled. Disabling the auto lock seems to stop the app losing its credentials whether then handset is locked or not.

Cheers

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:55 am

Interesting! I think I have a workaround, I just need to find time outside of work to get it done. But my suspicion is exactly as you describe.

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:55 pm

I've submitted a fix to the App Store which I believe works around this issue, as well as iPhone 5 support and a couple fixes.

Return to “Prowl”